HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
16 pages, lol. Have you moved to Hydro yet?
Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
BFG's are great!! Until they are not...
Which seems to 30 seconds after being put on a balance machine. Im hearing too many who do this for a living having issues with them now days. I dunno whats going on but something ain't right.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You seem to have replaced everything except your seats and radio. Have you thought about replacing the lift springs that have been installed at the very beginning of this endeavor? Maybe a lower height will deliver the exact correction needed.
I'm almost positive the last thing to swap out are the diff side UCA bushings, which I'm sure he has (Rock jock if I'm not mistaken). After that, it has to be a "Jeep thing!" Lol!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I'm almost positive the last thing to swap out are the diff side UCA bushings, which I'm sure he has (Rock jock if I'm not mistaken). After that, it has to be a "Jeep thing!" Lol!
As a a matter of fact.........

C8C9CC48-B235-45CA-B8BB-3261D56E369F.jpeg

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I had a JKU a few years back, with original tires I never had an issue. I put a set of BFG M/T 35 x 12.5 on it and for the first 3 months again no issues. One afternoon driving home from work I started to get a wobble. To keep this short the wobble just keep getting worse. I tried a couple different shops to rebalance but the wobble got to the point it felt like it would through you out of the seat. I did not change any other front end components. I bought a set of BFG A/T 35 X12.5 Load range E KO2s put them on the same wheels I was running and my wobble went away completely. I ended up putting 80,000 miles on those tires and never again had a wobble. This was not the first time I had tires cause death wobble.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
You have done a ton of awesome upgrades and I honestly have learned a lot myself keeping up with this. But, it would be a blessing if it were actually the tires. However, it would piss me off to the point I may just roll them in pig sh*t, drive to the highest ranking BFGs house I could find and toss them in thier nice manicured yard. I'm kidding, I would never do such a thing. 😉

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
You have done a ton of awesome upgrades and I honestly have learned a lot myself keeping up with this. But, it would be a blessing if it were actually the tires. However, it would piss me off to the point I may just roll them in pig sh*t, drive to the highest ranking BFGs house I could find and toss them in thier nice manicured yard. I'm kidding, I would never do such a thing. 😉
Cmon, I'll ride shotgun and hold your beer.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So years ago a large insurance company wouldn’t pay for hazardous waste removal.....left over paint from collision jobs. So.......saved it up in 55 gallon drums for about a year......had a spread sheet to show what claims were dumped in the drums. Long story short......when you wheel 5, 55 gallon drums of paint waist into their corporate office and leave them in the reception area they suddenly decided it was a good idea to pay for waste disposal. 😎

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had a JKU a few years back, with original tires I never had an issue. I put a set of BFG M/T 35 x 12.5 on it and for the first 3 months again no issues. One afternoon driving home from work I started to get a wobble. To keep this short the wobble just keep getting worse. I tried a couple different shops to rebalance but the wobble got to the point it felt like it would through you out of the seat. I did not change any other front end components. I bought a set of BFG A/T 35 X12.5 Load range E KO2s put them on the same wheels I was running and my wobble went away completely. I ended up putting 80,000 miles on those tires and never again had a wobble. This was not the first time I had tires cause death wobble.
My wobble started with stock wheels and tires and persisted with 37" Cooper STT Pros on KMC beadlocks. It all started with the lift install. That seems to be when everyone starts having wobble / shimmy issues.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
My wobble started with stock wheels and tires and persisted with 37" Cooper STT Pros on KMC beadlocks. It all started with the lift install. That seems to be when everyone starts having wobble / shimmy issues.
So I have noticed ONE thing that could possibly be related to lift height.........When I was going through doing dry steer tests I was prying on any anything and everything I could.The pitman arm has 1- 1 1/2” deflection when you pry on it, it really doesn’t take a lot of pressure to make it flex. With a lift the drag link angle changes and it is directing force differently on the arm.....I don’t have any way to prove this theory but it could possibly be flexing the arm.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Don't know if they are available or not for the JL but used to be able to find pitman arms with different drops, used 2 and 3 inch drops on older dodge trucks with lifts 3 to 5 inch lifts.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I have noticed ONE thing that could possibly be related to lift height.........When I was going through doing dry steer tests I was prying on any anything and everything I could.The pitman arm has 1- 1 1/2” deflection when you pry on it, it really doesn’t take a lot of pressure to make it flex. With a lift the drag link angle changes and it is directing force differently on the arm.....I don’t have any way to prove this theory but it could possibly be flexing the arm.
The actual arm? Wow! I know you have the steel steering box, but the pitman arm isn't part of that TSB.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Don't know if they are available or not for the JL but used to be able to find pitman arms with different drops, used 2 and 3 inch drops on older dodge trucks with lifts 3 to 5 inch lifts.
Dropped arms on Tj’s typically caused crazy bump steer. It would be nice if someone made a stock spec arm that was somewhat reinforced
Sponsored