Jump starting a dead JL 2.0L w/ eTorque

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Whelp...it happened to me last night. Not exactly sure how or why my batteries died but dead they were! My first issue was figuring out how to put my Jeep in neutral to roll it down my driveway to make room for our other vehicle get into a position to jump my Jeep. It's not possible with the shifter when the battery is dead. I was able to figure it out myself but check out How to Put Your Jeep JL in Neutral When the Battery is Dead to learn about it.

From there, I had to figure it out how to actually jump my Jeep. If you read the owner's manual, its straightforward but it is not! Yes, there are threads here about this but none of them were particular to my specific Jeep...2.0L turbo w/ eTorque. The best video I found was on Facebook.

That said, after a few unsuccessful attempts of jumping my Jeep the "normal" way, I put the positive clamp on the #1 terminal of the terminal block in the fusebox (as the person in the Facebook video did)...viola! It worked!

I now have a "check engine" light on and my stop/start isn't working until the 48v batteries are fully charged but I suspect that will resolve soon. I'm just sharing this here to help the next person who runs into this problem.

BTW, here is a good article from FCA on our 2.0L Turbo w/ eTorque engines: Jeep Wrangler eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Thanks for this. I was also wondering about how to do this recently even though I haven't had to do it yet.

In that FB video they are boosting the 3.6, and she mentions the auxiliary start stop battery which 2.0T with Etorque doesn't have. But you said this worked for you. So that first terminal, is connected to the 48V battery then in the Etorque engines?

I don't think the 48V battery is used to start the Jeep initially, only during start stop events...

But glad it worked in a pinch. Keep us updated on the check engine! Thanks.

OP
OP
RedWranger

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this. I was also wondering about how to do this recently even though I haven't had to do it yet.

In that FB video they are boosting the 3.6, and she mentions the auxiliary start stop battery which 2.0T with Etorque doesn't have. But you said this worked for you. So that first terminal, is connected to the 48V battery then in the Etorque engines?

I don't think the 48V battery is used to start the Jeep initially, only during start stop events...

But glad it worked in a pinch. Keep us updated on the check engine! Thanks.
As I understand it, the first terminal connects to the AUX battery...and its the AUX battery that is connected to the starter. That is mentioned in the jlwrangler .com forum post I included. Either way, it worked for first time, without hitch. I will be driving my Jeep later today and will let you/this forum know if and when that light goes off. If it doesn't after a couple of days, I'll have it looked at by my Jeep dealer. 🤞

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
OP
OP
RedWranger

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That video at the end says something about how it won't go back into park "so be sure to pull that back in when you're done" are they saying there is a way to engage park with a dead battery as well?
I was able to without a problem. You just have to pull on the strap and shift it back into Park. In my case, I was also able to jump my Jeep and was able to it "automatically" too.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Whelp...it happened to me last night. Not exactly sure how or why my batteries died but dead they were! My first issue was figuring out how to put my Jeep in neutral to roll it down my driveway to make room for our other vehicle get into a position to jump my Jeep. It's not possible with the shifter when the battery is dead. I was able to figure it out myself but check out How to Put Your Jeep JL in Neutral When the Battery is Dead to learn about it.

From there, I had to figure it out how to actually jump my Jeep. If you read the owner's manual, its straightforward but it is not! Yes, there are threads here about this but none of them were particular to my specific Jeep...2.0L turbo w/ eTorque. The best video I found was on Facebook.

That said, after a few unsuccessful attempts of jumping my Jeep the "normal" way, I put the positive clamp on the #1 terminal of the terminal block in the fusebox (as the person in the Facebook video did)...viola! It worked!

I now have a "check engine" light on and my stop/start isn't working until the 48v batteries are fully charged but I suspect that will resolve soon. I'm just sharing this here to help the next person who runs into this problem.

BTW, here is a good article from FCA on our 2.0L Turbo w/ eTorque engines: Jeep Wrangler eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology.
Here's the problem with jumpstarting from the N1 terminal according to the owner's manual

Jeep Wrangler JL Jump starting a dead JL 2.0L w/ eTorque aux jumpstart warnin

I think the issue is the wiring from the N1 terminal to the starter is sized for aux battery current and it's possible to exceed that wiring's capacity when attempting to jumpstart from N1. It's better to jumpstart from the main battery positive terminal and connect a jumper wire from there to N1 if needed to get power to the electronics.

If you have to apply power directly to N1 to start, check the high current fuse at N3, it may be blown.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Here's the problem with jumpstarting from the N1 terminal according to the owner's manual

aux jumpstart warning.jpg

I think the issue is the wiring from the N1 terminal to the starter is sized for aux battery current and it's possible to exceed that wiring's capacity when attempting to jumpstart from N1. It's better to jumpstart from the main battery positive terminal and connect a jumper wire from there to N1 if needed to get power to the electronics.

If you have to apply power directly to N1 to start, check the high current fuse at N3, it may be blown.
Finally, at least one post in this whole thread that won't get reader's into trouble...

That Facebook video, linked earlier is a recipe for real headaches and more...

@RedWranger ... Would be great if you just edited that Facebook link out of your initial post.
Bad enough that you followed the crapola idea you got from that video. No point in other's following your footsteps. I know you meant well posting the link but...

Reality is this forum has a wealth of spot on information in regard to the JL's dual battery system.... no reason to go elsewhere and get pot luck... get you into trouble info, so to speak.

OP
OP
RedWranger

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally, at least one post in this whole thread that won't get reader's into trouble...

That Facebook video, linked earlier is a recipe for real headaches and more...

@RedWranger ... Would be great if you just edited that Facebook link out of your initial post.
Bad enough that you followed the crapola idea you got from that video. No point in other's following your footsteps. I know you meant well posting the link but...

Reality is this forum has a wealth of spot on information in regard to the JL's dual battery system.... no reason to go elsewhere and get pot luck... get you into trouble info, so to speak.
I hear ya...fair enough; however, after scouring this site and others, I wasn't able to find a solution that worked. I tried jumping my Jeep the traditional way, with no luck. My choice was to get a tow or use an option that seemed to have worked for a number of other people, including others on this forum. If you could point me to a more clear and realistic article (e.g. I don't keep a spare jumper wire lying around...maybe I should?), I would gladly reference that. I just couldn't find one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
RedWranger

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks for the advice...I didn't have a jumper wire at the ready but will keep to keep something handy in my tool bag. I check my N3 fuse, as well as all my other fuses, and everything looks good. Also, my check engine line turned off last night and my BSG and battery is working now.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles

2L etorque don't have aux battery. Only main and 48v one.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L etorque don't have aux battery. Only main and 48v one.
Good point, but I suspect the warning and smaller capacity wiring still applies.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice...I didn't have a jumper wire at the ready but will keep to keep something handy in my tool bag. I check my N3 fuse, as well as all my other fuses, and everything looks good. Also, my check engine line turned off last night and my BSG and battery is working now.
I can relate and I would have done the same thing if I had no other choice, but you'll want to pay attention for possible issues.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So the advice given to the OP... which drivetrain is that for? All? If not, do we know if the jump start procedure is “special” for the 2.0 with eTorque? This is the first I’ve heard of special jump starting and it would be great to know how to jump start if it’s not the normal way.
Sponsored