ESS Issue (Stopped Working) and Repaired

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have a 2019 JLU Sport S 3.6 Manual - ESS stopped working a few weeks ago, which was fine with me...first thing I do is turn ESS off. But then I read (on here maybe?) that it could indicate a problem with one or both batteries and/or my alternator. So I took it in while it was still under warranty. Fixed it in about 5 hours, under warranty at no cost to me.

It never failed to start. And, b/c I always turn it off, I wasn’t sure exactly when it quit working. But dealer said FCA is well aware of the problem. Only bad part was that dealer gave a small Jeep SUV....Compass, maybe. Those are crap. But it was the complimentary loaner. So not all bad.
Sponsored

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I have a 2019 JLU Sport S 3.6 Manual - ESS stopped working a few weeks ago, which was fine with me...first thing I do is turn ESS off. But then I read (on here maybe?) that it could indicate a problem with one or both batteries and/or my alternator. So I took it in while it was still under warranty. Fixed it in about 5 hours, under warranty at no cost to me.

It never failed to start. And, b/c I always turn it off, I wasn’t sure exactly when it quit working. But dealer said FCA is well aware of the problem. Only bad part was that dealer gave a small Jeep SUV....Compass, maybe. Those are crap. But it was the complimentary loaner. So not all bad.
Did you have a weird burning smell?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
What did they do for the 5 hour repair?
My guess would be they did a load test on the bat as part of their troubleshooting, this test usually takes several hours

OP
OP
JL Fan

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have a weird burning smell?
No weird smells that I was aware of.
What did they do for the 5 hour repair?
not sure exactly. But they replaced both batteries. Dropped it off at 8:00, they called about 1:00. Also had them look at my windshield sprayers...not broken, I think they had just frozen up.

Sponsored

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
No weird smells that I was aware of.

not sure exactly. But they replaced both batteries. Dropped it off at 8:00, they called about 1:00. Also had them look at my windshield sprayers...not broken, I think they had just frozen up.
Dude I get this Ess failed get service code 3 times in my 16k miles of ownership. Only since September 2020. Bought it new. But I also get this plastic like burning smell.

OP
OP
JL Fan

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude I get this Ess failed get service code 3 times in my 16k miles of ownership. Only since September 2020. Bought it new. But I also get this plastic like burning smell.
There was something about a burning smell associated with a recall for the transmission/clutch or something? I had that done lost year. Again, I never had a problem with the clutch or the burning smell. But I wanted them to check it out.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Burning smell could be the plastic PN tags they put on everything, including all the exhaust pieces.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Good post.
Had roadside service once because the Jeep JLU wouldn't start. We have the 2 L auto version.

And just yesterday we went for a long drive to charge the battery. Jeep had sat too long; we're in lockdown here.

Sponsored