What’s up with 392 “launch edition”?

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Porsche, future wrangler owner
So like many of you here I’ve been excited for the 392 ever since it debuted and I’ve been following its progress on various forums, pages, and journal articles, but none till today mentioned “launch edition” from what I can remember.

So is “launch edition” just marketing by Stellantis or is this indicative that future lower priced non launch editions will come? To be honest I wouldn’t mind a no option/base rubicon 392 because to me options like advanced safety group, painted fenders/hardtop, leather, etc isn’t that important to me, I just want that sweet V8 engine and to go off road. I wouldn’t mind waiting a few extra months if it was clear that a cheaper non launch edition was coming.

I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts and perspective of what they believe “launch edition” means and whether that was a marketing term. I’ve also heard some rumors that the V8 wrangler might not be around for more than a year-two years which makes me think launch edition isn’t really a special model/bundle of options but rather that all 392’s will be built with those options. Plus when looking at the TRX configurator “launch edition” shows up as a package, but on the 392’s configurator there is no “launch edition package”.

Anyways look forward to seeing what you all say, my salesman wouldn’t reply to my texts when I asked him. Sorry if this has already been asked in another thread that I might have missed.
Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
So like many of you here I’ve been excited for the 392 ever since it debuted and I’ve been following its progress on various forums, pages, and journal articles, but none till today mentioned “launch edition” from what I can remember.

So is “launch edition” just marketing by Stellantis or is this indicative that future lower priced non launch editions will come? To be honest I wouldn’t mind a no option/base rubicon 392 because to me options like advanced safety group, painted fenders/hardtop, leather, etc isn’t that important to me, I just want that sweet V8 engine and to go off road. I wouldn’t mind waiting a few extra months if it was clear that a cheaper non launch edition was coming.

I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts and perspective of what they believe “launch edition” means and whether that was a marketing term. I’ve also heard some rumors that the V8 wrangler might not be around for more than a year-two years which makes me think launch edition isn’t really a special model/bundle of options but rather that all 392’s will be built with those options. Plus when looking at the TRX configurator “launch edition” shows up as a package, but on the 392’s configurator there is no “launch edition package”.

Anyways look forward to seeing what you all say, my salesman wouldn’t reply to my texts when I asked him. Sorry if this has already been asked in another thread that I might have missed.
I'm hoping we get info about this soon, as I have all the same questions. I'm content with all of the included options on mine, since it will be my daily driver as well, (I don't drive much if at all during the week, so I'm not too worried about the MPGs, but I do like the added features & creature comforts when I do drive,) but I do hope they offer a lower priced version as well for those that don't want/need them.

And I'm leaning a bit towards it just being snap-decision marketing, since there was no prior mentions of it, but if the ones we've all ordered do turn out to be some kind of unique, or "limited" edition, that's a good thing in my eyes as exclusivity certainly doesn't hurt when it comes to resale.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I would have gotten the options anyway. I just don't want to see the Lauch Edition cluster F that the Gladiator experienced.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Because it is the new “thing” to do. Bronco did it. Bronco Sport is doing it. Other car manufacturers have been doing it. Way to get a few high price, no discount vehicles out there. Put a little different lipstick on them and charge a little more Then don’t offer that lipstick flavor any longer. Makes people feel special And they will pay extra for that.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I imagine it's a 'Catch22' if Jeep sells enough LE392's + the other high-spec'd 392's, then they will take a look at making the V8 an option over other trim levels due to overwhelming demand.
Maybe.
Eventually.
IF the EPA doesn't torpedo the program all together.

Sponsored

Ben_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392 Granite Crystal
I don't think they'll offer the 392 in a trim lower than the rubicon. I think you'll need the suspension and axles of the rubicon for a V8, unless Jeep does something similar to the JT and offers D44s on all trims. But, offering it as an engine option to a base rubicon would be nice.

I personally like most of the options coming on the 392. I could have done without the color matched top and fenders, but I'm also not opposed to it. The one option I'm pretty excited about that's tough to find on Rubicons on dealer lots (I looked before ordering a 392), is the Adaptive Cruise Control. I have that on an Explorer and it's great on road trips. I don't see that mentioned much so maybe it's just me.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For whatever it's worth, in the article on Jalopnik about the 392's price being announced that I saw yesterday, the author claims that there will be cheaper trim levels of the 392, saying, "When the 392 Launch Edition arrives next month, it’ll cost you $74,995 to be an early arrival at the V8 launch party. Cheaper trim levels will also be offered."

Whether he means cheaper versions of the 392 "Rubicon" will be available (ie, less standard options), or cheaper versions of the JL that will be getting the 392 version, isn't entirely clear, but I'm guessing it's the former. But he does go on to say, "Jeep has not announced what the base V8 Wrangler 392 model will cost, though it is estimated to be around $60,000." So I suppose it could go either way. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Porsche, future wrangler owner
Thanks for the responses. I tried reaching out through Jeep chat to see if they had any info on what “launch edition” meant. I know Jeep chat can be hit or miss depending on the agent connected with, but the response I got was “the 392 isn’t a launch edition, I know the article was released yesterday referring MSRP for a ‘launch edition’ 392 but they are just referring to the MSRP that will be available at launch.”
Not really the clearest response and the agent might not even know of the future plans. The clarity is that there is no launch edition like the article made it seem, so no special badging or limited run numbers. However, still suspect theres a chance there might be a rubicon 392 with less options available at a lower MSRP. Either way, I’m still glad I have my order in right now and can’t wait for it to arrive so I can enjoy that Hemi.

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Chat has really only ever given me what my "current" status is, and not much else. I really only ask them at all at this point, to avoid pestering the hell out of my dealer.

I did ask them a couple days ago if something I had selected, ie an option or color, was keeping mine from moving from D to D1, as it's been sitting in D status for 34 days and counting, and they said no. And to be fair, they have actually added (twice now) to their response, that my order should be getting an update "soon", but to date, that has amounted to basically nothing.

Blah.... waiting sucks. :(

SteveSRT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali, 2021 392 Rubicon
Jeep Chat has really only ever given me what my "current" status is, and not much else. I really only ask them at all at this point, to avoid pestering the hell out of my dealer.

I did ask them a couple days ago if something I had selected, ie an option or color, was keeping mine from moving from D to D1, as it's been sitting in D status for 34 days and counting, and they said no. And to be fair, they have actually added (twice now) to their response, that my order should be getting an update "soon", but to date, that has amounted to basically nothing.

Blah.... waiting sucks. :(
That's the same response I keep getting too. They say check back next week as you should have a good update soon.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I have similar questions. I'm definitely interested in a 392, but not crazy about the 'launch edition' packaging - for instance, I like soft tops.

Waiting for the day when I can order a 392 the way I want it.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think you'll need the suspension and axles of the rubicon for a V8, unless Jeep does something similar to the JT and offers D44s on all trims.
JL gets the Rubicon F/R D44 axles on all trim levels with the 3.0 diesel
Sponsored