Tazer Jl mini (full version) VS. JScan App

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
What’s better? I am aware that the Jscan apps needs a bluetooth OBD scanner and a dongle. I’ve seen a lot of use with this app lately over the Tazer.

side question: I need to buy one or the other before I install my Rubicon fender flares and lights. Can I also use my NON-LED wiring harness for the LED turn signals? They come without one, but I’m assuming I’d need to get my hands on a LED wiring harness.
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I have both and use each for different purposes. The tazer is great for its live functions (ess, sway, locker, etc...) but I like Jscan for changing ecu settings (tire size, enabling features, etc...). I also use other apps on my android radio like dashcommand which use the same Bluetooth obdii module.

Jscan is way easier to use, and can change more settings. But the tazer can still do most everything. If you want the live features, buy the tazer... otherwise, I’d suggest to get Jscan and a supported Bluetooth module.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
To reiterate Robert @redracer, but take a different approach, start with the features each offers and overall price. Then go from there.

The only other color commentary I can offer that might be of help is to better detail a so called "live feature."

Say you want your backup camera on continually. Out of the factory the app button to enable the camera will keep it on for about 8 seconds before you have to press the button again to activate it.

The Tazer allows the camera to stay on by performing the programming equivalent of pressing that button, say, every 7 seconds.

And its stuff life that where the Tazer excels and the Jscan app will likely not be able to compete.

That said I own the Jscan app and love how it promised to activate proximity locks, along with the installation of the hardware, and did. I don't think the Tazer has that capability (yet).

Jscan settings require resetting if your JL is flashed by the dealer. I think it's like unmarrying a Tazer before taking your rig in for service, but the Tazer remembers your settings for the next time you plug in it (correct?)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
@lalalofsky

I am very pro, Tazer JL but I do at this time use JSCAN. I am well versed in both... I won't get in to a which is better back and forth in regards to the two..

First question I ask when a guy or gal asks me which they should go with, I ask this definitive question....

Do you want the programmer to deal with STOPSTART on your JL?

IF, the answer is yes, then I tell the person, absolutely, forget JSCAN and to go with the Tazer JL......

Why, because JSCAN does not and never will be able to deal with STOPSTART.

Now... and only after I hear the answer to this question do I go on and beak down the differences between JSCAN and the Tazer JL.
Start stop sucks, but i Don’t mind at the moment, clicking the button is fine for me. I just want something that is capable. Tazer is so cool, has soooo many options and is appealing Over like the super chips or flash cal. I just recently saw the Jscan and am trying to gauge which one I should get.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I am new to the Tazer scene, what does this cable do for me.
No problem Ben. I'll explain.

In order to hook up either the hardware that Z Automotive provides if you take the Tazer route, OR to hook up the ODB II device I previously linked should you wish to take the Jscan route, you will be required to disconnect two cables, that lie to the left of your steering wheel, and under the dash.

They're a pain to get to: operation of this task often on ones back as you limbo your way into the driver's foot wheel.

Both of these two cables are fuss pots. You press the unlock tab and pull. They don't come free.

The secret here, I and others have found is to press and release the tabs, and then pull both cables straight down, one at a time.

Once these cables are released you, for jscan, plug your 12+8 cable into the ports originally occupied with these cables, those factory cables temporarily sit dangling, or your Tazer mini. Your ODB II device plugs into the other end of the 12+8 cable for jscan.

Upon conclusion of Jscan operations you remove the 12+8 cable I linked and replug in those two cables. For tazer, I think, unless you marry the tazer to the vehicle, the same operation is true.

The cable I linked from Z automotive is a glorified extension cord. You ONCE take the factory cables out, plug in this extension cord, and then plug your 12+8 cord, or Tazer Mini into the distal end of this extension cord. When done, you plug the factory cables into this extremely easy to reach extension cord, rather than the factory pain in the ass/hard to access ports.

It's not essentially, it just makes life easier.

An analogy. There's this electrical outlet behind your refrigerator that you use regularly. You'd likely agree that it would be easier to plug an extension cord into the remaining plug (the other one say used by the blocking refrigerator) on the wall behind that refrigerator and snake that extension cord to the front of the refrigerator than move the refrigerator every time you want access to the remaining plug.

If you are more patient than rich, I can provide you the link, somewhere on the board, to the Chinese company that makes this cord that Joe from Z automotive (the tazer people) buys in bulk from. You can buy from this company directly but getting the cord will take longer.

Z automotive charges more, but you are paying for convenience.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Start stop sucks, but i Don’t mind at the moment, clicking the button is fine for me. I just want something that is capable. Tazer is so cool, has soooo many options and is appealing Over like the super chips or flash cal. I just recently saw the Jscan and am trying to gauge which one I should get.
Ben:

Jscan, to the best of my knowledge does not have capabilities to defeat ESS. Tazer unquestionably does.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
No problem Ben. I'll explain.

In order to hook up either the hardware that Z Automotive provides if you take the Tazer route, OR to hook up the ODB II device I previously linked should you wish to take the Jscan route, you will be required to disconnect two cables, that lie to the left of your steering wheel, and under the dash.

They're a pain to get to: operation of this task often on ones back as you limbo your way into the driver's foot wheel.

Both of these two cables are fuss pots. You press the unlock tab and pull. They don't come free.

The secret here, I and others have found is to press and release the tabs, and then pull both cables straight down, one at a time.

Once these cables are released you, for jscan, plug your 12+8 cable into the ports originally occupied with these cables, those factory cables temporarily sit dangling, or your Tazer mini. Your ODB II device plugs into the other end of the 12+8 cable for jscan.

Upon conclusion of Jscan operations you remove the 12+8 cable I linked and replug in those two cables. For tazer, I think, unless you marry the tazer to the vehicle, the same operation is true.

The cable I linked from Z automotive is a glorified extension cord. You ONCE take the factory cables out, plug in this extension cord, and then plug your 12+8 cord, or Tazer Mini into the distal end of this extension cord. When done, you plug the factory cables into this extremely easy to reach extension cord, rather than the factory pain in the ass/hard to access ports.

It's not essentially, it just makes life easier.

An analogy. There's this electrical outlet behind your refrigerator that you use regularly. You'd likely agree that it would be easier to plug an extension cord into the remaining plug (the other one say used by the blocking refrigerator) on the wall behind that refrigerator and snake that extension cord to the front of the refrigerator than move the refrigerator every time you want access to the remaining plug.

If you are more patient than rich, I can provide you the link, somewhere on the board, to the Chinese company that makes this cord that Z automotive buys in bulk from. You can buy from this company directly but getting the cord will take longer.

Z automotive charges more, but you are paying for convenience.
Gotcha, thank you this is very helpful info. I have just purchased DRL turn signals and was looking into these devices to flash my computer. I have the tail lights and fogs, soon to find the headlights. I dont do any crazy off reading atm. I don’t have lockers or electronic disconnect. My axles are 30,35. I might get lockers at some point but unsure.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I am not concerned by ESS At the moment
I hear you.

It is not my place to tell you which direction to take. My role is to educate you.

Only you can decide how much ESS bothers you, and how much it will down the road remembering there are free hacks (links available on request) to insure it doesn't engage--many of those hacks coming with inconveniences like a dash warning light that needs to be ignored.

I am assuming both Jscan and Tazer have DRL light configurations. Let me know if you desire links to each product's feature page.

I, on the one hand don't want you to have to buy both products eventually, and on the other hand wish to save you money now, knowing that the JL is a "lonely mistress" who likes money showered on her with other features you may want to spend your money on.

Or...(boo) there's always the kids 529B college fund.;)

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
To address your side question, if you bought LED’s without the wire harness you are going to have to do some wire fabrication as the harness is not available separately. You may be able to reconfigure your current harness but you will be missing some wires.
Gregj
Sponsored