Sponsored

At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!****

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I actually have a few ideas, I am going to replace the track bar bolts with 9/16 shoulder bolts. I can see some areas that are a little shiny in the inside of the mount surface like it might be shifting on the bolt. There is a decent amount of play between the bushing sleeves and the metric bolts that are in there. I also have the Johnny joints for the diff side. But I honestly have parked it and itā€™s sitting in the shop. I havenā€™t even been in the building for a week or so. I have about 24ā€ of snow on the ground in the yard and havenā€™t even plowed back to the shop. I honestly have absolutely no intention of touching it until at least April.

When I do I will start by re torquing everything one last time, replacing the Johnny joints, the track bar bolts, throwing it on the alignment rack and verify where everything is and then I have found a set of stock Sahara wheels and tires , I will throw them on and once and for all eliminate the tire question. Iā€™m going to think positive and believe one of theses things is going to correct the issue. šŸ˜Ž
But did you check to make sure you had the right fluid in the steering pump?:CWL:
Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I'm beginning to learn how sensitive these things seem to be. All did was adjusted toe today. It's better. But damn, your suppose to be able to climb a mountain of rocks and cross the Mississippi with these things watching the commercials. God forbid your toe is out 1/32. You will be on the wheel like a gerbil. šŸ˜€šŸ™ƒ

Glad u r taking a breather and coming up with a game plan.

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
This is a long ass thread, but did i see you guys mention there have been 4 members with the BFG KO2 in 315 thats having the same damn problem?
Because i just threw on some 315/17 on my Jeep!!!

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
This is a long ass thread, but did i see you guys mention there have been 4 members with the BFG KO2 in 315 thats having the same damn problem?
Because i just threw on some 315/17 on my Jeep!!!

Between three Ford Raptors and now my JLR, I have had six sets of 315/70R17 BFG KO2's and zero problems...ever. These are great AT's that work well on the trails and have outstanding road manners. I am looking forward to the new 37x12.50 load range C (developed for the new Ford Raptor) and will be upsizing to these 37's as soon as they are released. (Estimated release date end of April/early May)

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Between three Ford Raptors and now my JLR, I have had six sets of 315/70R17 BFG KO2's and zero problems...ever. These are great AT's that work well on the trails and have outstanding road manners. I am looking forward to the new 37x12.50 load range C (developed for the new Ford Raptor) and will be upsizing to these 37's as soon as they are released. (Estimated release date end of April/early May)
True, i totally forgot my Raptor had these same exact tires
Good catch!

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I have also ran these on several Jeeps and trucks over the years. But these will absolutely be my last set. Balancing these have been a nightmare, the tire place has replaced 3 of the 5 due to balancing issues. They went through three tires off the shelf before they were able to get the last replacement to balance out on the road force machine. You can go on BFGā€™s website and look at the latest reviews, the first three pages all complain about balancing issues and excessive runout.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have also ran these on several Jeeps and trucks over the years. But these will absolutely be my last set. Balancing these have been a nightmare, the tire place has replaced 3 of the 5 due to balancing issues. They went through three tires off the shelf before they were able to get the last replacement to balance out on the road force machine. You can go on BFGā€™s website and look at the latest reviews, the first three pages all complain about balancing issues and excessive runout.

There certainly could have been a batch that was not up to snuff...However my lifted JLR tracks arrow straight with zero vibration even at 85+MPH...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
There certainly could have been a batch that was not up to snuff...However my lifted JLR tracks arrow straight with zero vibration even at 85+MPH...
Like I said, I have ran them on my TJ, Lj, Ford Excursion, and my daily F-150. I am basing my opinion on what I have seen on this set, and the fact two local 4x4 shops flat out wonā€™t sell them because of similar issues. I have one tire that took 10 1/2 ounces of weight, the least amount any of them have is 6 OZ. I get a larger tire will take some weight occasionally but thatā€™s pretty excessive for a fairly light 35ā€ tire. One of the tires they wouldnā€™t even balance had 40+ pounds of road force. The best tire on the Jeep out of the five has 20 something pounds of road force. The Cooper SST pros I ran on my Lj all had less than ten.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
after reading this entire thread, i have a sport, with rubicon suspension and the BFG KO2s but they are the stock rubicon size. When the tire shop mounted them they took a ton of weight. i have had a couple of them rebalanced since, and it helped. but it seems every time i do a tire rotation the fronts wind up with a shimmy above 60-70mph. its cold here in va so im wondering if that is exaggerating the problem, but, the more i drive the worse its getting. i am going to have them balanced next week again. jeep has 41k on it, and so do the tires. im very much thinking it is the damn tires. i drive my cobalt or my moms honda on the same road and no vibration smooth as silk. Hell even my brothers JK with the stock tires on it was smooth on the same roads.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
You seem to have replaced everything except your seats and radio. Have you thought about replacing the lift springs that have been installed at the very beginning of this endeavor? Maybe a lower height will deliver the exact correction needed.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You seem to have replaced everything except your seats and radio. Have you thought about replacing the lift springs that have been installed at the very beginning of this endeavor? Maybe a lower height will deliver the exact correction needed.
How do you figure springs would cause a transient shimmy?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
The only thing lift height would change is the caster if you didnā€™t account for it. The caster was set to 6.5 after the lift, it was roughly 6.3 prior to the lift. The Jeep doesnā€™t know how tall it is. šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored