First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
My thinking is the knock could be a result of cold starts on regular gas vs 91 octane Just a guess.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
My 18 Sahara 2.0 sound at start up reminds me of diesel injector noise. If I remember it is direct injection (2.0t) same as a diesel, so not surprising to hear the injectors

dmasini

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Altitude
Well we use to have a 2.0T Passat that would run on 87 but I could certainly tell the difference when it had 91. Both in sound and performance.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ours sounds the same. Just had it at 2 different dealerships and was told it was normal. Sounds like this on every cold start.

Not that I trust these dealerships because they both said they couldn't do the steering box TSB due to my lift even though the Jeep still has 100% factory steering components!!!
Sorry to hear of these concerns, SSinGA. Our team would like to dig in further with you to see where we can assist. Send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Just dropped off my Jeep this morning for the exact same noise that was heard in the posters clip. Haven't heard from them yet, but will post once I do. Has anyone else had this problem and had it fixed?

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
So got a call that they definitely heard the noise and they donā€™t consider it normal. Theyā€™re calling (canā€™t remember the acronym) on the east coast and wonā€™t have an update for me before Wednesday. They need to get instruction on how to proceed.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So got a call that they definitely heard the noise and they donā€™t consider it normal. Theyā€™re calling (canā€™t remember the acronym) on the east coast and wonā€™t have an update for me before Wednesday. They need to get instruction on how to proceed.
Hey, jl_explorer. We see you sent us a private message. Our team will work with you there regarding your concerns.

Kate
Jeep Cares

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Bought 2019 used in October w/ 22K. At 29K now. Mine does not sound like that loud knocking but it does sound like the injectors or valves are tapping louder than they should. I've been running 91-93 since I got it but who knows what was run it it before. Not sure what I should do about it. Any ideas?

Sponsored

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Interesting, keep us updated.

I've been on this forum for a while and I've seen this "knocking" noise issue for the 2.0 comes up a lot here. Mine has done it a few times, especially noticeable on really cold starts.

Most dealers however will say it's normal and that's just injector noises we're hearing.
Mine is actually quiet during the cold start, and picks up as the engine warms. I did ask that they open a STAR ticket, and did provide them with some information I found on the forums. Not sure if that helped the process, but may be worth a shot. Noises can be difficult to pin point. They originally told me it wasn't normal, but safe to drive. A few days go by, with the feedback I provided, and now I'm getting my engine replaced. Coincidence? Maybe.... but never hurts providing them with your own research.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Interesting, keep us updated.

I've been on this forum for a while and I've seen this "knocking" noise issue for the 2.0 comes up a lot here. Mine has done it a few times, especially noticeable on really cold starts.

Most dealers however will say it's normal and that's just injector noises we're hearing.
The ticking is normal. The knocking is a piston rod wanting to get out either thru the oil pan or the head. Dealers replacing the engine or going through the rotating assembly are doing the right thing. A little worrying to me since my 4xe will have the same engine.

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The ticking is normal. The knocking is a piston rod wanting to get out either thru the oil pan or the head. Dealers replacing the engine or going through the rotating assembly are doing the right thing. A little worrying to me since my 4xe will have the same engine.
This is my second Jeep with the 2.0, other one was flawless. Iā€™m hoping these are just exceptions, and not the standard.