Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
lol you guys are spending more time and money trying to prevent your easily replaceable jeep form getting stolen than the cost of the deductible on your insurance.

I'd just take the insurance money and order another car. I won't even be locking mine when the soft top is on it, just to avoid the aggravation of someone cutting through the top to look for loose change.

then again we live in a neighborhood of 600 homes and there hasn't been a car theft in the 7 years we've been here.
My deductible is 1k, this is 40 bucks https://amzn.to/3qRf6sS
Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
lol you guys are spending more time and money trying to prevent your easily replaceable jeep form getting stolen than the cost of the deductible on your insurance.

I'd just take the insurance money and order another car. I won't even be locking mine when the soft top is on it, just to avoid the aggravation of someone cutting through the top to look for loose change.

then again we live in a neighborhood of 600 homes and there hasn't been a car theft in the 7 years we've been here.
Yup - that was my point back on page 5 or something. Even if your deterrent is less $$ than your deductible (you're saving money), is it worth the hassle of putting on and taking off a club, reaching into your glove box to flip some secret switch, or whatever more than a thousand times over the next few years?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Yup - that was my point back on page 5 or something. Even if your deterrent is less $$ than your deductible (you're saving money), is it worth the hassle of putting on and taking off a club, reaching into your glove box to flip some secret switch, or whatever more than a thousand times over the next few years?
I only plan on doing it when I street park out in the city. At home it's gated.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
My deductible is 1k, this is 40 bucks https://amzn.to/3qRf6sS
Yeah, but is it worth the savings to have to remove and install that 1000+ times over the next few years?

In 2019, there were 219 cars stolen for every 100,000 people. That's a 0.2% chance of your car being stolen. Multiply that times your deductible, and you are essentially risking $2.19 per year.

In other words, you have a 100% chance of spending $40, but only a 0.2198% chance of spending $1000.

And, if you spend the $40, you get the lovely chance to remove/replace that thing every time you get in/out of the car, not to mention finding a place to keep it while you drive around.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Don't buy this
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Theft Made EASY 1614295023342

The hook doesn't fit over the brake pedal assembly. The bar is too thick. I just had to return it.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
"The problem has been particularly bad for Kia owners. In January of this year, 8 Kias were stolen in Denver. That rose to 13 in February and has been steadily increasing ever since. In November, 74 Kias were reported stolen.
Kyle said they are one of the top 10 stolen brands in Denver because they are easy to steal and easy to start. The police commander said about 80% of vehicles stolen in Denver are recovered within a few days, but neither of Reiss’ stolen Kias have turned up."
We've an approx. one in three chance of owning a "top 10 stolen brand".

One way of analyzing these numbers is to posit that owning a Fiat, of all brands, might be the best hedge against theft.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
It's not so much losing the Jeep, many insurance companies only cover a certain $ value in mods and some don't cover any at all. For instance USAA only covers 5k in mods, I've got that in tires and wheels as do many here. Some people who mod their Jeeps up to be hardcore rock crawlers will be out 20k plus if their Jeep gets stolen. I'm not gonna go buy "the club", but saying "that's why you have insurance" isn't going to cut it for some people.

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
Thankfully Jeeps are so rare across the Atlantic (UK) that I don’t really have to worry too much about theft. (Touch wood)
Thieves seem more interested in more mainstream cars.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
It's not so much losing the Jeep, many insurance companies only cover a certain $ value in mods and some don't cover any at all. For instance USAA only covers 5k in mods, I've got that in tires and wheels as do many here. Some people who mod their Jeeps up to be hardcore rock crawlers will be out 20k plus if their Jeep gets stolen. I'm not gonna go buy "the club", but saying "that's why you have insurance" isn't going to cut it for some people.
Good point. I had a 2000 Trans Am that was heavily modified. I have Allstate, and they had no limit on modifications, so long as I had proof they were on the car (receipts worked).

Also, and this might depend on the company, most companies will allow you to buy additional insurance for those modification items.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Theives know that the vehicles can be GPS tracked. One of the first things they do is cut the battery cable or disconnect the battery.
Just need a simple GPS jammer
Sponsored