Mopar's "Version 2" Steel Front Bumper

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
In case anyone finds this thread and is curious about a part number. It is in the Wrangler/Gladiator performance parts catalog.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar's "Version 2" Steel Front Bumper 20210223_134632

I'm gonna stay out of the whose bumper is bigger and harder argument. 😂
Sponsored

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
FYI: Maximus-3 and Warn make recovery points that you can add on to the OEM steel bumper.
I've looked into the Maximus 3 (seeing as how just about everything on my bumper is by them), but you have to cut into the bumper and the skid plate. That's a bit too much for me. I'd already have them if that wasn't the case.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I've looked into the Maximus 3 (seeing as how just about everything on my bumper is by them), but you have to cut into the bumper and the skid plate. That's a bit too much for me. I'd already have them if that wasn't the case.
Understood. I have them and it was a fair amount of cutting, which involved the bottom web for the outer bolt-on portion.

They're instructions were millimeter accurate though (figuratively and literally... I had to buy a metric tape measure).

Reactions: DHW
OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I have them and it was a fair amount of cutting, which involved the bottom web for the outer bolt-on portion.
Buuuut it’s not out of the question. What did you use to do the cutting?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Buuuut it’s not out of the question. What did you use to do the cutting?
It requires a pilot drill bit, a (preferably new) hole saw to get the rounded portions, and I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to cut the slot. Some light grinding is required to clean up the burrs.

I took the bumper & skid plate off completely before making any cuts, but I'm not sure it's necessarily easier than doing some of it while on the Jeep.

See this post for some close-up photos:

I recently installed the front tow loops (with winch plate), and figured I would share some pictures that show the cutting required.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Love my overpriced garbage. I love its design, finish, weight, and functionality. If I were into trails that required a lot of winching and rock bashing my bumper, I'd consider something beefier, heavier, and ugly (imo), but I'm not. I have the capability to winch if ever needed(one that's hidden away and not blocking airflow on my DD), go full, stubby, and add tons of simple bolt-ons from guards of different sizes, plates, lights, ect, since it's the most used and universal front bumper for the JL. It also looks great, to me, and because of all this, I can see why it's usually on backorder.
Let’s see if your saying that the first time your crappy molar bumper gets pushed up into your tub....

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Let’s see if your saying that the first time your crappy molar bumper gets pushed up into your tub....
That can happen with other bumpers, too. I know the rear is more vulnerable, but the front is fine. Like anything on the Jeep, you drive in a way that protects the vulnerabilities. I've bashed the exhaust tips and they've pushed up into the bumper, but there was no damage, no problem. I've never been one to abuse bumpers off-road, though. Skid plates, yes. Bumpers, no.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
to me those look too thin. Where. Decent side load (Say 30-45 degree angle) would bend them. That to me is an unacceptable recovery point because it could lead to issues of safety or failure. Also on the bottom of the bumper is pretty inconvenient.
They're 5/8" thick steel plate, and certainly safer than the cast OEM hooks. I'm more worried about the frame bending than these deflecting or breaking. Maximus-3 doesn't actually sell these as "recovery hooks" though, that's a different product (see photo below)

Yes, being mounted on the bottom could be an issue if you're stuck in a hole, but they don't really change the approach angle as much as you would think on a stock JLR.

There's also this option, but it would look so much better if it was powdercoated to match the bumper: https://www.hkoffroad.com/products/jeep-wrangler-jl-jt-shackle-tab-kit-for-stock-rubicon-bumpers

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That can happen with other bumpers, too. I know the rear is more vulnerable, but the front is fine. Like anything on the Jeep, you drive in a way that protects the vulnerabilities. I've bashed the exhaust tips and they've pushed up into the bumper, but there was no damage, no problem. I've never been one to abuse bumpers off-road, though. Skid plates, yes. Bumpers, no.
FWIW: The Maximus-3 rear tow loops could add some protection to the OEM rear steel bumper. It wouldn't work in all scenarios, but it is at least something.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have it. Picked up from a guy with the skid and winch plate for 700. Too good of a deal to pass up. It’s more of a mid-width and the only plastic on it is the crush can covers. Definitely more solid.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar's "Version 2" Steel Front Bumper 4DF20061-9D57-493A-AD4D-9A60B501022B
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar's "Version 2" Steel Front Bumper 4DF20061-9D57-493A-AD4D-9A60B501022B
Got to get a winch in there.
Wow, I like it even more inu these pics! Love the smooth look to it.

HendoGray

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Thanks. I thought the same. When I saw the mopar pics, I wasn’t impressed. Then I came across a good deal and gave it a shot. Really liked it once installed. I’ll run it until I see a front bumper I like more. I struggle deciding on a front bumper that doesn’t look like a big block of steel up front.

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Thanks. I thought the same. When I saw the mopar pics, I wasn’t impressed. Then I came across a good deal and gave it a shot. Really liked it once installed. I’ll run it until I see a front bumper I like more. I struggle deciding on a front bumper that doesn’t look like a big block of steel up front.
It definitely looks better in your pics than in the Mopar ad. So you got the skid plate too?

I'm assuming the bar is removable?
Sponsored

Last edited: