Sponsored

Recommendations: Winch Plate + Winch for Stock Steel Bumper?

Winch Plate + Winch (Pick 1 plate + 1 winch)

• JCR

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Rusty's

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Maximus-3

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Rugged Ridge

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • WARN (plate)

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • LoD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other (plate - add to comments)

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Quadratec Stealth (winch)

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Smittybilt (list model in comments)

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • WARN (list model in comments)

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • Other (winch - add to comments)

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Random question - the steel plate for the steel bumper that sits in front of the bumper, behind the fairlead. Does that come with the steel bumper from Mopar, or is that another accessory that is needed to for the install?

If I pick up Rusty's winch plate and an out of the box Warn winch - do I need to buy that part in addition to?
Curious to know as well. I’m about to pull the trigger on a Rusty’s winch plate and Quadratec stealth.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can you explain a little what this is for? Thanks.
In a normal winch installation, the power (positive) cable is wired directly to the battery. This means there’s always power at the winch. The problem is if the winch’s positive cable is damaged, becomes severed, etc (like in a front end crash) there’s enough power in that live cable to start a fire and possibly burn your Jeep up.

With the Warn Power Interrupt Kit, there’s a solenoid which you connect in-line. Therefore, there’s no power being run to the winch until you turn on the switch to activate the solenoid.

Warn includes a switch with their kit, but I wired my solenoid to Auxiliary switch #4.

To install this kit, you connect the positive cable from winch to one of the large lugs on the side of the solenoid. The kit’s included positive cable then gets wired from positive post on battery to the other large solenoid lug. A black wire is then connected from negative battery post to the correct small solenoid lug. Your switch wire is then connected to the last small solenoid lug. Since I decided to activate the solenoid with Auxiliary switch #4, I connected that wire to the correct lug and didn’t have to route Warns wiring harness into the cab.

I like having the power removed from the winch during normal driving. I set up the Auxiliary switch for Ignition and Latched.

There’s some worry the solenoid will fail (not rated to handle all of the amps) during a long/hard pull. If that happens, I can reconnect the winch positive cable directly to the battery. I’m not sure how many amps the solenoid is rated for, its not listed on the web site or instructions.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Any pictures yet? Looking to do the same for mine as well.
Here are the pictures, finished up on Friday. Finally stopped raining Saturday morning and was able to get out of the garage and tension the rope onto the drum. Spent Sunday in the local desert.

IMG-1829.jpg

IMG-1845.jpg

IMG-1844.jpg

IMG-1847.jpg

IMG-1846.jpg

IMG-1858.jpg

IMG-1859.jpg

IMG-1853.jpg

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curious to know as well. I’m about to pull the trigger on a Rusty’s winch plate and Quadratec stealth.
Rusty's plate does come with a fairlead filler plate, just installed mine last week.

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Random question - the steel plate for the steel bumper that sits in front of the bumper, behind the fairlead. Does that come with the steel bumper from Mopar, or is that another accessory that is needed to for the install?

If I pick up Rusty's winch plate and an out of the box Warn winch - do I need to buy that part in addition to?
No you do not need to buy a fairlead filler plate, it is included with Rusty's plate.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would like a picture of your battery disconnect if you get a chance. Thinking of adding one to mine.
Warn Interrupter Kit installed on homemade bracket and wired to Factory Aux Switch 4.

IMG-1858.jpg

IMG-1859.jpg

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine today, Factory Steel Bumper, Rusty's Off Road Products winch Plate and SmittyBilt X2O Comp Winch. Will get some pictures when it stops raining and I can open the garage door. That might not be until Friday. Tomorrow will install the Warn Battery Disconnect and finish up my Flat Tow Wiring.
I just installed the same combo this weekend. Question for you, are you covering your winch? I'm curious what a good cover is to fit in the factory steel bumper as it's pretty tight in there!

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just installed the same combo this weekend. Question for you, are you covering your winch? I'm curious what a good cover is to fit in the factory steel bumper as it's pretty tight in there!
Yes, my concern is just to cover the rope to keep the sun off. Luckily I have a neighbor that sews, so I will be getting a custom cover. Will post pics.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I bought a Quadratec neoprene one and it’s great!

Sponsored

Bob Rae

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK
Today I installed the Warn Winch Plate and the Smittybilt X20 10K winch. Loved the weight and strength of the Warn plate. It was a great install with really tight tolerances that don't look like they are going to fit until they just do. In the end, an easy install. The Smittybilt fits perfectly with just right clearance behind the control module mounted on top. I found the clearance in the bumper just right and I had no problem tightening all 8 bolts on the bumper. The outside bolts are easy access. The inside bolts are down around the winch through the top. I did have to file about 1/8 of an inch on the two back holes of the guard under the bumper as it says to do in the instructions. Not a problem. The Warn kit comes with a filler plate and I used the included mount to mount my license plate under the fairlead. The only real issue I had was that the Warn kit doesn't include bolts for the fairlead and it trusts you can use ones that come with your winch. SInce the bolts must pass through the fairlead, the filler plate, the bumper, and finally the Warn plate, the Smitty bolts are too short. This was rectified with a trip to Ace Hardware and for $1.78 I was on my way home with the right bolts. No other issues. Great install. Love the Smittybilt. I put load on it today to spool on the rope and it worked great. That's it. Great install!

Bob Rae

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK
Pictures of Warn Plate + Smittybilt X20 + Mopar winch guard + Mopar Offroad Lights

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_1998.jpeg

IMG_2001.jpeg

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Sure....it has a cool drum light, although I haven’t used it at night yet. And a wireless remote, which is the greatest thing since sliced bread......:)

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendations: Winch Plate + Winch for Stock Steel Bumper? IMG_2001
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendations: Winch Plate + Winch for Stock Steel Bumper? IMG_2001
Wow, your Jeep is badass man. Love it!

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Maximus-3 for my steel bumper accessories (winch plate, JL Tow Loops, Filler trim plates, stealth license plate mount and JL Classic Hoop) and a Warn Zeon 10S for my winch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendations: Winch Plate + Winch for Stock Steel Bumper? IMG_5165~photo.JPG

JeepEdit.png
Sponsored