donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

mikeferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Diesel
I have the AAL platform, cargo shelf and fridge slider. My Dometic CFX3 45 fits perfectly. I had purchased the protective cover for the fridge, however, with the cover on it would not fit under the cargo shelf.
How much room is there between the fridge slider and the back tailgate? I have a large tailgate table and wonder if that will be an issue.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How much room is there between the fridge slider and the back tailgate? I have a large tailgate table and wonder if that will be an issue.
I have an Outback Adventure Products tailgate table, the table itself sits below the tailgate. I'd imagine it would sit lower than all other tailgates, but would call AAL to be sure.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
From the corner of the Dometic to the bulge in the door is 1 5/8" and from the handle to my Outback Adventures table is 2 1/8". I attach a photo. I hope this answers your question.
Jeep Wrangler JL American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide Tailgate w Dometic

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
From the corner of the Dometic to the bulge in the door is 1 5/8" and from the handle to my Outback Adventures table is 2 1/8". I attach a photo. I hope this answers your question.
Jeep Wrangler JL American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide Tailgate w Dometic
The Outback Adventures table is about 1 7/8" thick.

Sponsored

mikeferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a warrior products tailgate table which is pretty big compared to most.
I have an Outback Adventure Products tailgate table, the table itself sits below the tailgate. I'd imagine it would sit lower than all other tailgates, but would call AAL to be sure.

mikeferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the information. I shall check and see how much room I have to play with.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
After a few camping trips, I knew I needed a drawer, shelf, and refer slide system. I wanted something rugged, stoutly-built out of metal, a simple bolt-on system, an adjustable-height shelf, and something that I could take out in an hour or two if needed. I zeroed in on American Adventure Lab’s Modular Adaptable Storage System (MASS) with an adjustable-height shelf, fridge slide, and drawers. Not wanting buyer’s remorse, I made an appointment and drove six hours to their location to see their system. When I got home, I ordered one. It is a fantastic system— stoutly-built; precisely engineered; fits like a glove; the slide mechanism is smooth; and the quality of the build, fit, and finish is top-notch.

I have a 37-quart ARB refrigerator with the insulating transit bag cover. When pulling out the slide, the top of the transit bag just barely misses the bottom of the shelf for the first five inches (the latch area) then it clears the bottom of the shelf by about 1/4" the rest of the way out. The bottom of the refer slide is at the same level as the bottom of the drawers. I got two six-inch drawers because the three-inch drawers just looked too small to hold much. The drawers have three removable metal dividers that are cleverly engineered to come out easily, remain rigidly in place, and can be secured with a zip tie at the base to eliminate rattling.

The gap between the top of the base plate and the bottom of the refer slide and drawers is 1/8" (the thickness of the angle iron in the slider/drawer frame supporting the slide/drawers).

The distance between the plastic at the rear tailgate opening and the bottom of the base plate is 5/8" at the edges and 1.25" at the center (the plastic is higher at the sides).

I’m no mechanic and never worked on a vehicle before getting a Jeep. I can do bolt-on accessories (LOD front and rear bumpers, Warn winch, Genesis dual battery system, trail lights, CB radio, Outback tailgate table, SPod, and ARB dual compressor)—especially if there are good, detailed YouTube videos. There is a two-part video in great detail of someone in Singapore (Jeep JL Wrangler Cargo Shelf - American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Cargo Shelf Installation - Part 1 and -Part 2) installing the shelf in this system that mounts to the roll bar.

The instructions are good. The guys at AAL are super helpful and will answer any installation questions you have. The fitting that connects the components together was a little tricky to figure out but once you figure it out, everything should fit together smoothly. The bolts securing the rubber feet of refrigerator are re-installed through the slide so the refrigerator is bolted to the slide.

I plugged the refrigerator into the 12-volt outlet at the rear of the Jeep. The plug makes light contact with the insulating transit bag cover (not enough to damage the plug when sliding the refrigerator in and out). I’m going to install an ARB Fridge Wiring Kit with Threaded Socket (Part Number 10900027) at a convenient location near the rear of the refrigerator to eliminate this issue plus the refrigerator really needs an appropriately-sized wire.

I hope this helps. Post or direct mail me with any questions.

I love this setup!!!!
I've been debating about purchasing this for some time. Question, do you miss having the open storage below? I have a roll bar mounted Power Tank that AAL can't tell me if it will work with the shelf, have you heard or do you know anyone that has it? Thanks!!!!

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
I love this setup!!!!
I've been debating about purchasing this for some time. Question, do you miss having the open storage below? I have a roll bar mounted Power Tank that AAL can't tell me if it will work with the shelf, have you heard or do you know anyone that has it? Thanks!!!!
Short answer: no. I see you live in Peoria too. DM sent for the longer answer and Power Tank fit info. If anyone else wants the long answer, let me know.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Marshack

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hvhinsurance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2018 BMW GSA.
Occupation
Insurance Broker
I have the AAL platform, cargo shelf and fridge slider. My Dometic CFX3 45 fits perfectly. I had purchased the protective cover for the fridge, however, with the cover on it would not fit under the cargo shelf.
Isn't the shelf adjustable? I have the same fridge and am currently looking at all the options. Could you send a photo?

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
After a few camping trips, I knew I needed a drawer, shelf, and refer slide system. I wanted something rugged, stoutly-built out of metal, a simple bolt-on system, an adjustable-height shelf, and something that I could take out in an hour or two if needed. I zeroed in on American Adventure Lab’s Modular Adaptable Storage System (MASS) with an adjustable-height shelf, fridge slide, and drawers. Not wanting buyer’s remorse, I made an appointment and drove six hours to their location to see their system. When I got home, I ordered one. It is a fantastic system— stoutly-built; precisely engineered; fits like a glove; the slide mechanism is smooth; and the quality of the build, fit, and finish is top-notch.

I have a 37-quart ARB refrigerator with the insulating transit bag cover. When pulling out the slide, the top of the transit bag just barely misses the bottom of the shelf for the first five inches (the latch area) then it clears the bottom of the shelf by about 1/4" the rest of the way out. The bottom of the refer slide is at the same level as the bottom of the drawers. I got two six-inch drawers because the three-inch drawers just looked too small to hold much. The drawers have three removable metal dividers that are cleverly engineered to come out easily, remain rigidly in place, and can be secured with a zip tie at the base to eliminate rattling.

The gap between the top of the base plate and the bottom of the refer slide and drawers is 1/8" (the thickness of the angle iron in the slider/drawer frame supporting the slide/drawers).

The distance between the plastic at the rear tailgate opening and the bottom of the base plate is 5/8" at the edges and 1.25" at the center (the plastic is higher at the sides).

I’m no mechanic and never worked on a vehicle before getting a Jeep. I can do bolt-on accessories (LOD front and rear bumpers, Warn winch, Genesis dual battery system, trail lights, CB radio, Outback tailgate table, SPod, and ARB dual compressor)—especially if there are good, detailed YouTube videos. There is a two-part video in great detail of someone in Singapore (Jeep JL Wrangler Cargo Shelf - American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Cargo Shelf Installation - Part 1 and -Part 2) installing the shelf in this system that mounts to the roll bar.

The instructions are good. The guys at AAL are super helpful and will answer any installation questions you have. The fitting that connects the components together was a little tricky to figure out but once you figure it out, everything should fit together smoothly. The bolts securing the rubber feet of refrigerator are re-installed through the slide so the refrigerator is bolted to the slide.

I plugged the refrigerator into the 12-volt outlet at the rear of the Jeep. The plug makes light contact with the insulating transit bag cover (not enough to damage the plug when sliding the refrigerator in and out). I’m going to install an ARB Fridge Wiring Kit with Threaded Socket (Part Number 10900027) at a convenient location near the rear of the refrigerator to eliminate this issue plus the refrigerator really needs an appropriately-sized wire.

I hope this helps. Post or direct mail me with any questions.

Just curious as to what color is the top of that shelf? Looking to get the same setup. Hey I am down in Gilbert AZ! :)

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious as to what color is the top of that shelf? Looking to get the same setup. Hey I am down in Gilbert AZ! :)
I had the pleasure of meeting @Glen722 , a really cool guy! His setup was so sweet, I ended up ordering the same setup (minus the fridge..... baby steps), should arrive this weekend.

His Jeep is pretty bad-ass too, made me jealous.

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
I had the pleasure of meeting @Glen722 , a really cool guy! His setup was so sweet, I ended up ordering the same setup (minus the fridge..... baby steps), should arrive this weekend.

His Jeep is pretty bad-ass too, made me jealous.
Thanks, Todd. You're too kind.