Sponsored

Battery died and stopped in the road

DeBo3359

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2009 H-3hummer
I have a 2018 JL rubicon. I was having problems with a the bead battery if I hadn’t started it in a day or so. I took it the the dealership and they said to bring it back on Monday. This was Friday afternoon, I was on my way home to clean out all my camping gear I had inside. About a half mile from the dealership just before going up and overpass, the instrument panel lit up and it started missing and then stopped. Luckily I was able to get to the edge of the road before it stopped rolling. Tried to jump it but nothing! Called a tow truck and kept the cables on it changing, nothing no lights no 4 ways nada! Zero power in the system. Got it to the dealership and 5 days later they called and said come pick it up, it’s fixed. The replaced the batteries. I asked what happened and they said no clue looks like the batteries needed to be replaced. They replaced them under warranty. But my question is why did it stop and why couldn’t I jump it and what would I do if I was 50 miles from the closest paved road and no cell service? I just got back from a trip with no cell service and about 30 miles out. Any body have a similar experience?
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Yup. Had a similar. When the little battery dies, it plain won't go. I had it towed to the dealer and they replaced both batteries under warranty. Works great now but I'm planning in a Genesis system this summer. Spendy but jumpable.

OP
OP
DeBo3359

DeBo3359

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2009 H-3hummer
That’s exactly what I was thinking. The down side is you can’t use the existing battery, you’ll have to buy two new batteries plus the $500 plus for the genesis system.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Have you had the update done? I don’t remember the number for it but this is a known issue with the early model years. Early 19’s and all the 18’s. They dealer can do an update so that if the aux battery is dead the vehicle will still start and run but you will get an ESS error message on the evic.

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Spend 50k on vehicle that can’t be jumped so you need to drop another stack of Benjamin’s to ensure you’re not left stranded in the middle of nowhere, WTF!?
Yep, I AGREE and I am going to gleefully install the Genesis setup and be thankful it exists so I don't have to try to get around the stupid 2 battery factory system that exists for an ESS that I not only never wanted but never use.

I honestly can't think of another car that I would be this willing to re engineer to work for me after spending 50k on it. The day I got it home I already knew I could not fit in it safely or comfortably and had to change the drivers seating position. I KNEW the factory soft top was a PITA and knew I would spend 4k on a great aftermarket solution. The lift and tires? Well really that was just for fun, I must be crazy...

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
All the sitting around and not being driven finally caught up to my batteries. I managed to charge them enough to get it started, but the batteries were so drained that the alternator couldn't keep up with it just idling in the driveway and when I turned the heater on it died. More time on the charger seems to have fixed it.

You also may have had a loose ground wire. It sometimes works loose at the main battery negative post.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
That’s exactly what I was thinking. The down side is you can’t use the existing battery, you’ll have to buy two new batteries plus the $500 plus for the genesis system.
Yes the Genesis system is costly once you add in two higher quality AGM batteries but what is that cost compared to say being away from everything and pushing that button and getting what I call it the “click of death” from a dead battery and not having a jump available.

I‘m not going to get up on a soapbox and preach that a dual battery system will fix all your battery worries as there are less costly options like what Jerry and others have done and Jerry is the man for all the work he has done and continues to do educating us all on the JL battery system but sometimes you have to move on from a poorly designed system and do something thats a bit more reliable and easier to work on.

Is the Genesis system fool proof.....NO ITS NOT but it gives you some backup if needed.

I had my main battery fail after 7 months and zero issues after that but I always worried in the back of my mind that I would be stuck somewhere plus I wanted the additional power to run aux equipment and not tax my main crank battery so I had my system replaced but as you stated it’s costly but what on a Jeep is cheap just think of how many add bumpers and winches and never use a winch.....it’s just good insurance

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Yup. Had a similar. When the little battery dies, it plain won't go.
True. When the aux. battery fails, I read where you have to keep the jumper cables or charger on the main battery posts for several minutes to get enough charge in the aux. battery for it to operate the starter relay. This assumes the aux. battery will accept a charge.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I have a Genesis kit on order and I don't even have my Jeep yet. It was something I knew I wanted to do when I ordered it. I'd also be content with just bypassing the aux battery and removing it like some have done.

Now I'm by no means an electrical expert or engineer; merely a lay person in such regards, but I've always been taught that you shouldn't connect two dissimilar battery sizes in parallel/series. Not so much that is wont be compatible- but when one battery has a different state of charge it draws down the other and vise versa which greatly reduces their combined life. Most even recommend the same AGE of battery let alone size.

It seems a lot of people on this forum are experiencing this reduced life.

I understand why Jeep did it. To eek every last fraction of a MPG from the Wrangler with the ESS; while working with limited space. I even remember the rumors back well before the JL was released that Jeep may not be able to make the Wrangler due to emissions and MPG standards. I see this system as a compromise to meet those requirements- one that luckily can be corrected if desired.

Now how Jeep could have designed a system that can stall a running vehicle is beyond me.... :facepalm:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Spaffy

In the end, your "Genesis kit" and buying the two batteries, will cost you just about $2000.

For sure most guys/gals (dependent on the way they use the JT) can't justify spending this kind of money.. would be foolish for them to spend the $2000.

Also, not sure if you are aware but the "Genesis Kit" has it's share of shortcomings... and also is a set-up that leaves you with having to follow a certain maintenance regimen or you will have battery depletion issues.... issues in general.

Anyway, if a JL/JLU/JT owner does their homework so to speak, the stock dual battery system is manageable.

Armed with a tad of knowledge you can get a head of the stock dual battery set-up, so to speak .....and it is less of a pain/worry.. For sure FCA could have done better..

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
@Spaffy

In the end, your "Genesis kit" and buying the two batteries, will cost you just about $2000.

For sure most guys/gals (dependent on the way they use the JT) can't justify spending this kind of money.. would be foolish for them to spend the $2000.

Also, not sure if you are aware but the "Genesis Kit" has it's share of shortcomings... and also is a set-up that leaves you with having to follow a certain maintenance regimen or you will have battery depletion issues.... issues in general.

Anyway, if a JL/JLU/JT owner does their homework so to speak, the stock dual battery system is manageable.

Armed with a tad of knowledge you can get a head of the stock dual battery set-up, so to speak .....and it is less of a pain/worry.. For sure FCA could have done better..
Not sure how it could cost 2k. 2 GREAT series 25 batteries are around $500.00. You don't need to add on the fancy screen. So more like a little over a grand.

What are the related Maint issues you are thinking about?

Also does the 2 liter turbo engine have a second battery? I see comments about that.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
@Spaffy

In the end, your "Genesis kit" and buying the two batteries, will cost you just about $2000. Most owner's cannot justify such an expense..

Anyway, if a JL/JLU/JT owner dies their homework so to speak the stock dual battery system is manageable. Armed with a tad of knowledge you can get a head of it so to speak and it is less of a worry.. For sure FCA could have done better..
Price is for sure a factor! $1050 shipped with batteries is no small sum- I'm able to install myself so that saves a little. If it were $2000 Id probably really had second thoughts.

It's not without its own downsides for sure. I've been reading for months about different things I want to do with my Jeep when it gets here. I'm in the "wont be driving much" club so I'm going to have a tender on it....

Thats with most modern cars though. Most vehicles today sadly aren't like my '69 that has basically zero parasitic draw..... BTW thats where my stock Jeep battery will be living! Sadly that battery is old and toast.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how it could cost 2k. 2 GREAT series 25 batteries are around $500.00. You don't need to add on the fancy screen. So more like a little over a grand.

What are the related Maint issues you are thinking about?
@bigfoot21075

When I was spewing the $2000, that was talking if you have a shop do the install. IF you follow the JL Wrangler forum posts, $2000 +- is about what it costs to have a Genesis set-up installed and using two quality batteries..

While you or I might do this install and have no issues, most guys/gals will pay to have the install done...

OH, I also did not specify/mention that expense included, that you also need to buy pricier charger/maintainer to keep the Genesis and those beefy batteries, maintained...

As for maintaining the Genesis with it's two beefy batteries... go and read at the JL forum...

By the way, I am not knocking the Genesis set-up at all... Nice!.. but not a smart $ wise move for most... as they do not need it....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Price is for sure a factor! $1050 shipped with batteries is no small sum- I'm able to install myself so that saves a little. If it were $2000 Id probably really had second thoughts.

It's not without its own downsides for sure. I've been reading for months about different things I want to do with my Jeep when it gets here. I'm in the "wont be driving much" club so I'm going to have a tender on it....

Thats with most modern cars though. Most vehicles today sadly aren't like my '69 that has basically zero parasitic draw..... BTW that's where my stock Jeep battery will be living! Sadly that battery is old and toast.
If you do the install yourself you can have the Genesis set-up for well under $2000. It is a decent set-up but most do not need it.... You also need to spend $ on hardware you will use to maintain the 2 beefy batteries.... Again, if you need such a set-up YES... it is decent..
Sponsored