Thoughts about winches

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Funny you say that, someone else just recommended that one as well. I am on Harbor Freight looking at that also.
If you decide to go badlands just google harbor freight coupons. 9 out of 10 times they have a coupon code that you can use. I think I actually got mine for 279.

By the way go PSU. Hopefully they will be much better this year.
Sponsored

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
If you decide to go badlands just google harbor freight coupons. 9 out of 10 times they have a coupon code that you can use. I think I actually got mine for 279.

We Are! You got an awesome price! Trying to google some coupons, it's listed at $349 for the 12k one, which is only $20 more than the 9K one so worth it! Thanks again!

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Oh and do you know how much that one weighs by any chance?

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
We Are! You got an awesome price! Trying to google some coupons, it's listed at $349 for the 12k one, which is only $20 more than the 9K one so worth it! Thanks again!
9K is probably better for a jeep than 12k. Look at the specs, in most cases they just change the gearing to reach 12k which ends up making the winch slower. 10k is more than enough winch for a jeep

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9K is probably better for a jeep than 12k. Look at the specs, in most cases they just change the gearing to reach 12k which ends up making the winch slower. 10k is more than enough winch for a jeep
Thanks! Now determining which is the best choice lol!

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Went on Amazon and got synthetic line for 80 and put that on instead of the steel.
Any issue or specifics getting the synthetic on the Badlands. I have that winch with steel cable on my TJ and would like to change out line. Badlands winch has served me well for years. Thinking about going with the APEX on the JLU. Only concerns on tight clearances with the steel bumper and JCR plate.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Any issue or specifics getting the synthetic on the Badlands. I have that winch with steel cable on my TJ and would like to change out line. Badlands winch has served me well for years. Thinking about going with the APEX on the JLU. Only concerns on tight clearances with the steel bumper and JCR plate.
If you’re swapping out lines, you’ll need to swap out your current fairlead to a hawse fairlead.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
No issues at all. When you take off the steel line the line is in the hole with a set screw. On the new line it has a metal tab with a hole in it. I don’t remember the size of the set screw but you’ll need to get a bolt with a button head or a hex head the same size as the set screw and use that instead. You will need to make the metal tab hole a tad bit bigger to fit the bolt. That’s the hardest part. Bolt it in and spool the line. Took me longer to unspool and remove the steel cable. The line doesn’t come with the hook either. I reused my hook from the steel line because I had just switched to the apex hook not long before going to synthetic. Still was cheaper in the end than the apex. As far as clearance I have the winch control box with the wires facing away from the grill so there is nothing touching the body. Regardless if you need to remove the grill the winch will need unbolted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H5CYGBK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

A9306561-337A-400F-AEB0-BC5B29A13264.jpeg

B9D53285-850E-4EFB-BE0D-7E03ECD639C1.jpeg

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I forgot. If you have one with the automatic braking take that off. Again not hard. Unscrew the 4 bolts for the cross braces and take off the springs and roller then put the braces back on.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
A winch is great peace of mind, but almost never necessary. I've gotten out of some really bad situations with a hi-lift and a shovel. Tons of labor could be saved with a winch, but short of a situation where you're sliding off a cliff 99% of stuck situations can be handled without one even alone. That being said, I'm not 20 years old anymore and would much rather pull cable than jack and stack rocks these days so our jlur has a winch on it.
Sponsored