Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is there anyway an owner can check to see if the re-flash was done on a Jeep when the steering gear was replaced? I wish we could hook up a scan tool and see...

Dave
Not to my knowledge. I got the dealership to print out the report that finally showed 70f. Also, in my case, when it had the old software, I couldnā€™t hear my steering pump make any sounds when the steering wheel moved (with the old aluminum and new cast iron steering boxes). After the update to 70f, I can now hear a slight high pitch sound coming from the steering pump if you stand in the front near the power steering fluid reservoir while someone else turns the steering wheel. The software update appears to increase the voltage to the steering pump. This might not always be the case as some people in the forums said they could here the steering pump before and after the software update.
Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I took my Jeep in for an oil change today at the dealership that I've been using for the past 12 years (not the dealership I bought the Jeep from) and they said they'll be ordering the parts from the TSB for me :)

I showed the service advisor TSB 08-003-21 and told him I was experiencing looseness in the steering that got worse after driving for a while, and much worse when the weather was warmer.

The service technician took a quick drive around the block after the oil change and then wrote "7933 Steering TSB parts on order, road tested and did find a lot of movement in steering" on the work order.

Unfortunately they could not give me a timeline for when the parts would be in, but they are coming :)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have my appointment tomorrow in Mesa, AZ. Lets hope they get it right.
Let us know how it goes, 1Darkone. If you need any additional assistance afterword, we are in PM.

Kate
Jeep Cares

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not to my knowledge. I got the dealership to print out the report that finally showed 70f. Also, in my case, when it had the old software, I couldnā€™t hear my steering pump make any sounds when the steering wheel moved (with the old aluminum and new cast iron steering boxes). After the update to 70f, I can now hear a slight high pitch sound coming from the steering pump if you stand in the front near the power steering fluid reservoir while someone else turns the steering wheel. The software update appears to increase the voltage to the steering pump. This might not always be the case as some people in the forums said they could here the steering pump before and after the software update.
Thanks very much.
I don't recall hearing the steering pump at all.

It's amazing to me that they can drive Jeeps off the assembly line, yet they seem to have real difficulty fixing them for us.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks very much.

It's amazing to me that they can drive Jeeps off the assembly line, yet they seem to have real difficulty fixing them for us.
Ever notice how banks are so quick at taking our money, but takes weeks and weeks of waiting on the phone and bouncing between customer service agents once they made a mistake and need to give it back?

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ever notice how banks are so quick at taking our money, but takes weeks and weeks of waiting on the phone and bouncing between customer service agents once they made a mistake and need to give it back?
I've followed these posts from the beginning.
I'm lucky i got them to change the steering gear. It was an improvement, but not a fix. I've checked the play in the steering (reduced to about 2" now) I've checked to make sure the steering gear is the right part number. Yes, thank heaven. I've checked that they changed the bolts. Yes (well done!). And the work order declares that they reflashed the computer.

Now the new TSB adds an alignment (that's good common sense.) and a bar is changed.

Question I haven't answered is should I go for the alignment and bar?

Speaking of bars, all this might drive a person to drink. Specially after hearing "It's a Jeep Thing" so many times.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I've followed these posts from the beginning.
I'm lucky i got them to change the steering gear. It was an improvement, but not a fix. I've checked the play in the steering (reduced to about 2" now) I've checked to make sure the steering gear is the right part number. Yes, thank heaven. I've checked that they changed the bolts. Yes (well done!). And the work order declares that they reflashed the computer.

Now the new TSB adds an alignment (that's good common sense.) and a bar is changed.

Question I haven't answered is should I go for the alignment and bar?

Speaking of bars, all this might drive a person to drink. Specially after hearing "It's a Jeep Thing" so many times.
Which bar is changed? Are you referring to the track bar?

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks very much.

Yeah and they are driving them off the assembly line stoned and drunk. Maybe the dealerships should do the same. LOL

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
My experience after all is said and done with the TSB for me is......its far better now than it was, No dead spot, No pulling to the right, No more fear of driving next to Semi trucks and getting pulled into them on the highway, how can this not be a recall with how unsafe the driving was before is my main thought? The dealer did mess up the draglink in the process of the install, which resulted in a new drag link end socket and pitman arm. (couldnt get the two apart) I Did have to go back to the dealer to have them fill up the power steering fluid. After a few days driving I noticed the steering loosening up a bit and it was drained.

ALL IN ALL WORTH IT!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My experience after all is said and done with the TSB for me is......its far better now than it was, No dead spot, No pulling to the right, No more fear of driving next to Semi trucks and getting pulled into them on the highway, how can this not be a recall with how unsafe the driving was before is my main thought? The dealer did mess up the draglink in the process of the install, which resulted in a new drag link end socket and pitman arm. (couldnt get the two apart) I Did have to go back to the dealer to have them fill up the power steering fluid. After a few days driving I noticed the steering loosening up a bit and it was drained.

ALL IN ALL WORTH IT!
I'm grateful for the work that the repairing dealer did. It was well done, and followed the TSB.

I do have a bit of a dead spot on-centre, and return to centre isn't as good as I would like. The other issues you spoke of are gone.

I agree. RECALL. That's what it should be. (We have no lemon law here.)
Sponsored