Thoughts about winches

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Talk to me about winches- looking at a simple Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC 9500 lbs. Didn’t have one on my previous Jeep and trying to decide if it’s a good investment. I don’t do any crazy wheeling or anything, mostly easy trails but hoping to get to some more moderate ones, still simple. I like the idea of having it as a just in case but curious about other experiences and things to know. Found one for a good price so... anyway thanks in advance! Always get good information on here!

27735BFF-32C5-4699-8052-6D3A712EE68A.jpeg
Honestly, If you do not to crazy, off camber, deep rutted or steep washed out trails you really do not need one. My brother has had a winch on his for 2 years now and has used it only once.... and thats only cause he wanted to use it instead of simply using a recovery strap and pulling out the other vehicle.

At the end of the day though, it is your Jeep and you should accessorize it how you want to.
Sponsored

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
There are a ton of options... even budget friendly!

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
If you don't have the winch you are reliant on others to recover you. This may be fine if you never do anything alone. Winch is one of the first things I do on a Jeep (rock sliders are #1). Heres the thing, if you know how to use a winch it is the best tool for recovery. Might not be the quickest, but it is the best and safest. When I did search and rescue that is all we used. We never used snatch straps or recovery boards. Now snow wheeling with friends I often use snatch straps and recovery boards because they are quick and those friends know what to do.

Get a winch and learn how to use it. Have the necessary accessories and see if there is a local class or group doing a lesson to learn proper practice. Nice thing with a winch is you can transfer it from vehicle to vehicle and they will give you confidence to do try something you might get stuck on. I'd recommend getting a good brand like Warn, bulldog, etc because when it comes to a winch you really want to know you can count on it. Warn has good models that start around $600. For a jeep you don't need more than 10k. 8k or 10k is plenty. 12k may be too much for you bumpers/frame and 12k is slower than 10k because all they do is gear it down to get the extra 2k

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you don't have the winch you are reliant on others to recover you. This may be fine if you never do anything alone. Winch is one of the first things I do on a Jeep (rock sliders are #1). Heres the thing, if you know how to use a winch it is the best tool for recovery. Might not be the quickest, but it is the best and safest. When I did search and rescue that is all we used. We never used snatch straps or recovery boards. Now snow wheeling with friends I often use snatch straps and recovery boards because they are quick and those friends know what to do.

Get a winch and learn how to use it. Have the necessary accessories and see if there is a local class or group doing a lesson to learn proper practice. Nice thing with a winch is you can transfer it from vehicle to vehicle and they will give you confidence to do try something you might get stuck on. I'd recommend getting a good brand like Warn, bulldog, etc because when it comes to a winch you really want to know you can count on it. Warn has good models that start around $600. For a jeep you don't need more than 10k. 8k or 10k is plenty. 12k may be too much for you bumpers/frame and 12k is slower than 10k because all they do is gear it down to get the extra 2k
Thank you- this is very helpful!

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Thank you- this is very helpful!
no problem. I'd recommend synthetic rope btw. It is a little more expensive, and there are some aspects that can require more thought put into your winching setup, but it is a much safer option because of how it stores and releases the energy that builds up when you're doing a pull.

this would be a good entry level winch that could last you a life time. The owner of this company is very helpful if you have any questions and his company is doing something for a good cause. Warn has very strict pricing rules so saving tax and shipping is the only way to get a better deal. And if you explore the website you will be prompted to join the mailing list which will give you an immidiate $10 off; a little extra savings.
Warn VR EVO 10-S

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Warn's Evo is a great winch functionally, but why on Earth did Warn design it with the cables sticking out the side? I know appearance shouldn't matter in a winch, but that kept me from buying one. There is no way to hide that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches 1614102286513

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Using it once when you have no other alternative makes it worth the price. It’s insurance and peace of mind for me.
You don’t ever need a winch....until you REALLY need a winch. If you ever do trails on your own you need “some way” to self rescue. A winch, a spare tire, and a shovel can get you out of some pretty nasty situation ( bury the spare in a hole, horizontally, with a slot just big enough for a cable. Attach cable to tire, turn on winch and you’re out. NOT easy, but beats a long walk out ( been there done that)

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Warn's Evo is a great winch functionally, but why on Earth did Warn design it with the cables sticking out the side? I know appearance shouldn't matter in a winch, but that kept me from buying one. There is no way to hide that.
Easy fix though, split loom and electrical tape around the split loom could make that look like 1 robust cable which would look better. The VR Evos are a value orientated brand so warn has spent the money on winch components being quality over aesthetics eating up the cost to produce.

There are a few weird things Warn has done recently. I'm amazed that Warn did the Zeon Platinum series with no mechanical clutch or non-wireless option. I understand the niceness of having that cool remote, but if you're remote has power issues or connectivity issues your winch is useless. This was the only reason I didn't get their platinum zeon and went with standard zeon.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I’ll get flamed for this but the badlands series from harbor freight are a good option. They didn’t have the apex when I got mine so I got the 12k for 299. Went on Amazon and got synthetic line for 80 and put that on instead of the steel. I barely use it and can’t justify spending upwards of 600 for a winch I use maybe 2 times a year. I do spool out and respool the line 2 times a year and go over the winch to make sure it’s in good condition. I also keep a cover on the winch unless being used.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll get flamed for this but the badlands series from harbor freight are a good option. They didn’t have the apex when I got mine so I got the 12k for 299. Went on Amazon and got synthetic line for 80 and put that on instead of the steel. I barely use it and can’t justify spending upwards of 600 for a winch I use maybe 2 times a year. I do spool out and respool the line 2 times a year and go over the winch to make sure it’s in good condition. I also keep a cover on the winch unless being used.
Funny you say that, someone else just recommended that one as well. I am on Harbor Freight looking at that also.
Sponsored