Sponsored

Thoughts about winches

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Talk to me about winches- looking at a simple Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC 9500 lbs. Didn’t have one on my previous Jeep and trying to decide if it’s a good investment. I don’t do any crazy wheeling or anything, mostly easy trails but hoping to get to some more moderate ones, still simple. I like the idea of having it as a just in case but curious about other experiences and things to know. Found one for a good price so... anyway thanks in advance! Always get good information on here!

27735BFF-32C5-4699-8052-6D3A712EE68A.jpeg
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
If you're wheeling with other vehicles the other option would be a simple tow recovery strap. I've struggled with the same thing - winch sounds great but I"m not sure it would used often enough to justify the price.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're wheeling with other vehicles the other option would be a simple tow recovery strap. I've struggled with the same thing - winch sounds great but I"m not sure it would used often enough to justify the price.
Yeah that's where I am right now! I have a tow strap in my Jeep at all times and never wheel alone... always that "what if" lol

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Using it once when you have no other alternative makes it worth the price. It’s insurance and peace of mind for me.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Talk to me about winches- looking at a simple Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC 9500 lbs. Didn’t have one on my previous Jeep and trying to decide if it’s a good investment. I don’t do any crazy wheeling or anything, mostly easy trails but hoping to get to some more moderate ones, still simple. I like the idea of having it as a just in case but curious about other experiences and things to know. Found one for a good price so... anyway thanks in advance! Always get good information on here!

27735BFF-32C5-4699-8052-6D3A712EE68A.jpeg
I’ve got a Smittybilt X2O with synthetic line. Has a wireless remote and has a higher waterproof rating. If you aren’t using the winch often, wireless might not be overly important. I would recommend going with a synthetic line for safety and weight.

Edit to add: The XRC is not a bad choice by any means. Just something else for you to think about.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve got a Smittybilt X2O with synthetic line. Has a wireless remote and has a higher waterproof rating. If you aren’t using the winch often, wireless might not be overly important. I would recommend going with a synthetic line for safety and weight.
Thanks! I doubt I will use it too often, definitely a peace of mind thing. Know anything about the Rough Country ones? Looking to stay budget friendly but also not cheap out!

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I doubt I will use it too often, definitely a peace of mind thing. Know anything about the Rough Country ones? Looking to stay budget friendly but also not cheap out!
Im partial to Smittybilt for budget friendly winches. I don’t know anything about RC winches, so I cannot comment on their reliability.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely go with a Synthetic line winch. Much Lighter and Safer, for just a few dollars more.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Talk to me about winches-
Want to get stuck? Post online about how you're contemplating a winch purchase. Then go wheel without it.

BAM!

You're stuck thinking about that thread online.

Butt!! BUTT!!!! Once you buy one you'll only use it for everyone else but yourself. :CWL:

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I went through the same through process when I was deciding on a winch. I'll be off roading, but nothing extreme, but may not always be with someone else since we have some great ORV parks in the state. I decided to spend a bit more ($150-ish) to get a Warn winch, thinking that if I ever need a winch I will probably really need it and want to ensure that it's going to work; i.e. it's not something to go too cheaply on. I found that the people that I bought my bumper from have pretty decent prices on Warn winches, even better than Amazon or Quadratec on some: https://www.rockhard4x4.com/WARN_Jeep_Winches_s/438.htm . I bought an Evo 10-S for my JL, which is probably a bit of overkill considering the weight of the Jeep, but again, if I ever need it...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Winch is a basic necessity for anyone hitting the trails IMO.

Per the need to get a Warn: decades ago Warn was the only viable alternative. But things have changed: today Quadratec, Mile Marker, Smittybilt, et. al., offer solid quality and more features for less money.

Warn’s top-selling winches are now made in China, too. So “Made in USA” is less of a differentiator these days...unless you are willing to spend $1,500+

I am shopping for a winch currently. After owning a string of Warn winches over the years, Warn is not on my shopping list this time; I find their prices ridiculous. There are now too many excellent alternatives out there.

Last edited:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Also, keep an eye out for used ones. I got a Smitty X20 10K synthetic for $300 on FB marketplace from a guy who mounted it on his Jeep and never used it once.

As far as the Smitty, I've only used it a few times, but it has worked great. I can't fathom paying what Warn is asking for their Zeon series. If the Smitty dies, I'd definitely take a look at Quadratec's. Theirs have a lot of cool features. And it's about the only thing decently priced on Quadratec.

Last edited:

News2me

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 JKU Saraha Backcountry
Living in Wisconsin where we can get A LOT of snow, I look at it as a necessity. I'm not a rock crawler but I have pulled myself out of snow drifts many times while traveling the forest roads in the northern part of the state. The cost of a tow truck would be many more times the cost of a winch for me.
Sponsored