Sponsored

Installing a Curt Class 2 trailer hitch on a 2021 JLU (non Rubicon)

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Has anyone installed a Curt Class 2 trailer hitch on a 2021 JLU (Non Rubicon)? I've heard some models will have no problems installing while others will have to remove some plates, or drill different holes or some won't fit no matter what kind of fabrication is done. I have the stock bumper that comes on the JLU Sport S trim level and the 2.0 turbo engine. I heard the 2021 models have different bumpers so I'm hoping anybody that did a recent install could chime in. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed a Curt Class 2 trailer hitch on a 2021 JLU (Non Rubicon)? I've heard some models will have no problems installing while others will have to remove some plates, or drill different holes or some won't fit no matter what kind of fabrication is done. I have the stock bumper that comes on the JLU Sport S trim level and the 2.0 turbo engine. I heard the 2021 models have different bumpers so I'm hoping anybody that did a recent install could chime in. Thanks in advance!
Posting some pictures below/behind your 2021 rear bumper may help get the conversation started.

I've successfully installed a 2" class 3 hitch and harness however that's on my 2018 JLU.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Has anyone installed a Curt Class 2 trailer hitch on a 2021 JLU (Non Rubicon)?
I installed a Curt #13392 Class 3 trailer hitch on my 2021 Sport.

The included instructions recommended lowering the muffler for improved access. I didn't do so; the extra bit of bolt finagling necessary to insert them fully wasn't any sort of impediment. N.B. - Not lowering the muffler may prevent proper access of a torque wrench when tightening the nuts at the completion of the job. A combination wrench can be used instead, although the fastening value will then need to be approximated.

The instructions did suggest that two of the four factory holes in the rear [perpendicular] frame cross member may be out of round, and will require widening to allow proper bolt insertion. That was necessary, in my experience. An oval grinding bit on a rotary tool was used to make that particular job fast and easy.

The stock bumper on my JLU did not affect or impede the installation of the hitch in any way.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I’ve went with curt on almost every vehicle I’ve ever owned but cheaped out to save 30 bucks this time with a Tyger auto brand since all these JL receivers are so simple
https://amzn.to/3b7L6Cs

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I installed a Curt #13392 Class 3 trailer hitch on my 2021 Sport.

The included instructions recommended lowering the muffler for improved access. I didn't do so; the extra bit of bolt finagling necessary to insert them fully wasn't any sort of impediment. N.B. - Not lowering the muffler may prevent proper access of a torque wrench when tightening the nuts at the completion of the job. A combination wrench can be used instead, although the fastening value will then need to be approximated.

The instructions did suggest that two of the four factory holes in the rear [perpendicular] frame cross member may be out of round, and will require widening to allow proper bolt insertion. That was necessary, in my experience. An oval grinding bit on a rotary tool was used to make that particular job fast and easy.

The stock bumper on my JLU did not affect or impede the installation of the hitch in any way.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I went ahead and tried to install the same hitch and was semi-successful.

I started off by removing the metal plate that seems to only be on certain models. It was bolted to the rear perpendicular frame by 2 bolts and the plastic bumper by 2 small screws. It was a pain in the ass to remove but once I got it out I went ahead and attached the hitch. I was able to screw in the far left and the 3rd bolts but due to the exhaust being in the way, I couldn't get the final 2 screws in. It was also really cold when I was trying to lower the muffler so the rubber hangers wouldn't come off. I decided to just leave it for now since I won't be towing anything until the summer. I tried this on flat ground so my dad suggested next time to jack the back of the Jeep up so maybe the muffler can move enough to get the bolts in.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I started off by removing the metal plate that seems to only be on certain models.
What is this metal plate for that has to be removed on newer model years? Could someone take a picture and post it?

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What is this metal plate for that has to be removed on newer model years? Could someone take a picture and post it?
I'm at work now but will take a pic and post it when I get home.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Just an FYI: My 2021 JLU didn't have a metal plate in situ. IIRC, the hitch instructions were careful to mention that it may be present on the vehicle.

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Just an FYI: My 2021 JLU didn't have a metal plate in situ. IIRC, the hitch instructions were careful to mention that it may be present on the vehicle.
This is what I don't get. What dictates whether or not the model will come with the mysterious plate? FWIW I have the stock bumpers on a non Rubi/Sahara trim.

I'm at work now but will take a pic and post it when I get home.
I tried looking for the plate this morning but couldn't find it. My dad must have put it somewhere. I will update with pictures tomorrow when I find it.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
My dad found it and sent me a pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a Curt Class 2 trailer hitch on a 2021 JLU (non Rubicon) CE6D41E9-D261-4EAD-8BF0-583A9B7639CD
Thank you for posting this. Do we know why FCA added this piece of metal to only some JLs?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
My 2020 had the metal plate...if you remove the smaller 2 bolts that go into the plastic, you can slip your new receiver hitch between the plate and the bumper. I bought a Draw Tite, class 3.
Nothing has to be removed. I used the 2 existing larger bolts (they are high grade I looked) and 2 receiver bolts to complete the install. I didn't have to enlarge any holes.

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My 2020 had the metal plate...if you remove the smaller 2 bolts that go into the plastic, you can slip your new receiver hitch between the plate and the bumper. I bought a Draw Tite, class 3.
Nothing has to be removed. I used the 2 existing larger bolts (they are high grade I looked) and 2 receiver bolts to complete the install. I didn't have to enlarge any holes.
I'm an idiot and thought you need to remove the plate in order to install the hitch. I removed the two big bolts from the frame as well as the two smaller bolts from the plastic bumper. I then proceeded to use every last bit of strength I had to yank it out, not realizing I could have installed the hitch in between and just tightened everything back up haha.
Sponsored