Sponsored

What is your ideal wrangler powerplant?

What would you buy? All have 500 hp / 500 ft lb torque...

• Total voters

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
How long does it take to make enogh power to break traction on dry asphalt from idle? Does the diesel have enough power before the turbo spools up, or is it similar to the gas turbo? Anyone know what the torque curve looks like without boost?
Given that the HP rating of the R2.8L is only 161HP, I don't think that it is going to be breaking traction very often...

The Cummins would be like a hyper-torquey version of the TJ's I6 but would feature a nearly 30mpg fuel economy and be likely more reliable. Basically a workhorse.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I have no need for speed. I honestly find the Pentastar relatively perfect for how I drive. It's not too fast, not slow, just the right speed for the handling and aerodynamics of a Wrangler. In an ideal world more low end torque would be great. If I end up owning another JL it'd likely be for a Turbo I6.

OP
OP
dski

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I have no need for speed. I honestly find the Pentastar relatively perfect for how I drive. It's not too fast, not slow, just the right speed for the handling and aerodynamics of a Wrangler. In an ideal world more low end torque would be great. If I end up owning another JL it'd likely be for a Turbo I6.
a turbo 4.0! getting old sucks.

Sponsored

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 CJ5, 87 YJ, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Given that the HP rating of the R2.8L is only 161HP, I don't think that it is going to be breaking traction very often...

The Cummins would be like a hyper-torquey version of the TJ's I6 but would feature a nearly 30mpg fuel economy and be likely more reliable. Basically a workhorse.
It's all about torque, with a jeep. With a little modification to the 2.8 l, it can reliably make over 200 horsepower at about 400 ft. pounds of torque, at lower rpm.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
It's all about torque, with a jeep...
I think you mean to say is, “for me, its all about torque in my jeep”.
Not everyone is driving their jeep the same way.
Personally, I need more than 200hp and will never use 400lbs of torque. I like to go fast and break traction with the throttle. I drive my jeep like a dirt bike.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I will never own a 4 cylinder Jeep.
I thought the same way about 6 bangers when V8s were all the rage and had all the power. My last V8 was in the Jeep Commander ... LOVED IT!!!

Then 6 bangers finally got some power after that first v6 3.8l van engine in the JK 1... UGH I owned that one too , sold it after 18 months ... that v6 was a bad!!! Yet Jeepers loved them because thats all that was available... then the penastar finally made a decent v6 but still naturally aspirated... Yes I have owned that one too, not so good when living at high mtn elevations...UGH

Even though, the Wrangler now has more & better options, people want to stick with what they got or what they love like my old V8 but engineers keep making things better and more efficient.

For example my 2L turbo is now tuned to 320 torque and 290 hp in a 2door JLR and I get 20mpg on 35s 😁 The future is here!!! there is an exhaust system to change the sound if that is important.

But then again, I might be that old man one day saying "I will never buy an electric Wrangler" as they fly past me... hehe 😉 CHEERS

Last edited:

Minilla

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
A 4 cyl turbo diesel preferably by a renowned manufacturer. I dont want an eco diesel, I want a 4 cyl version of the cummins. Built for hard heavy work at low rpms. I also want it married to a 6 speed stick and in the two door as an option. I also don't want to have to buy the rubicon to get it. Dont want leather seats or heated steering wheels with it. Give me the option to have all of this in a base model form. That's what I want. Not gonna happen though I might as well buy and old CJ and restomod it to my specs.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Forgive me for dredging this one up, I missed it the first go-around... It's interesting that the parameters of the poll specified 500 HP & FP torque, and allowed for the option of a normally aspirated I4, which I promptly jumped on. Why? Because just such an engine existed, the legendary Offenhauser Indy engine.

The Offy engine dominated open wheel racing for more than 50 years through the 1970s, and in that period, managed to account for 27 wins at the Indianapolis 500, last appearing at the famed Brickyard race in 1982. Over the years, the Offy appeared in a variety of displacements, and in the end, there was a turbocharged variant that made over 1,000 HP. But the one that garnered the most Indy wins was the Normally Aspirated 252 cubic inch version that had an initial output of 420-500 HP.

In a 500 HP state of tune, the 4.13 liter Offy would be ill-mannered and ill-suited for employment in the Jeep Wrangler. But without a doubt, it would be the coolest engine to ever sit between the frame rails of a Jeep. And forget about taking the top & doors off. I'd have to take the hood off so you could see that glorious piece of racing history...

Jeep Wrangler JL What is your ideal wrangler powerplant? offy

Sponsored

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I do not want a 500hp/ftlb 4 cylinder. I do not want an engine that needs to be rebuilt every weekend.
Give me a V6 with 300ftlb below 2000rpm and 350hp. No turbo.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Something a with a manual, V8 would be sweet or V6 supercharged or turbo would be alright.

Gorilla83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4XE, 2021 Tesla 3 Performance
Occupation
Tech and Real Estate Guy
I'm a lifelong muscle car guy, but a 100% electric (properly powered/overpowered) with great range and huge power would be awesome!

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I'm a lifelong muscle car guy, but a 100% electric (properly powered/overpowered) with great range and huge power would be awesome!
I would need 500 miles range with quick recharge capability conveniently located near remote areas. When that happens I will happily go electric. Instant torque vs turbo lag? Its a nobrainer.
Sponsored