Sponsored

What is your ideal wrangler powerplant?

What would you buy? All have 500 hp / 500 ft lb torque...

• Total voters
OP
OP
dski

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I just watched this for the first time...

Whoever did the marketing for this I think never drove an older jeep. "Power that goes where it wants to go and does what it wants to do". I had two or three jeeps like that in the past. Trick is to change the shocks and fix the steering, then it "goes" where you want it to go etc. LOL
Looking at the still in the video makes me cringe. All that fine particulate dust entering the driver's lungs and getting everywhere in the vehicle. They will be smelling that dust for years every time they turn on the blower motor. I prefer to run with the top on and windows up in dust bowls like that.
Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
None of the above. I'm waiting for that turbo in-line 6 I keep hearing rumors about. All the low-rpm torque that was in my TJ Jeeps...plus plenty of power everywhere in the powerband.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
My preference is the 2.0 turbo, non hybrid, which is exactly what I purchased. I enjoyed the TJ 4.0, we had 4 of them, but for my needs the 2.0 wins. It has very respectable highway economy in 8th gear (I get 25/26mpg all day on flat highway miles @60mph), amazing low end power when I need it, and it runs on gas which I know will be available at all of the out of the way lil 2-pump stations in towns I visit coming out of the back country.

A diesel would be close second, but I cannot justify the cost as I do not tow anything.

My purpose is overland camping and exploring to feed my other hobby: metal detecting. Not trying to win any races (luls jeep) or pull any trailers.

What I love most about wranglers, though, is how diverse the options are. Tons of accessories, 3-4 different engines, different configs (JTs included in this). Something for everyone.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
A small V8 would be nice.
A 300HP 300FtLb V6 would also be nice but it needs to make torque at low rpm.
Swapping the turbo for a blower on the i4 could be an option.
No turbos. Turbo lag is lame.

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
A modern take on a 4.0 straight six. Long stroke, 300 hp and 325 lbft at 1500rpm would be all I'd ever need in a two door.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 CJ5, 87 YJ, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The engine is not listed on the questionnaire of the engine I would like to have.... The Cummins 2.8 liter turbo diesel would be ideal in the Wrangler. The Cummins diesel has so much product support and aftermarket add ons.

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Throwing cost and caution to the wind - easily the v8 (why would you pick anything else)....

Practical and reasonable - the 2.0 Turbo. Drove the 3.6 and the 2.0 and hands down the 2.0 was better to me. 4xe is a myth still and no interest in diesel.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
The engine is not listed on the questionnaire of the engine I would like to have.... The Cummins 2.8 liter turbo diesel would be ideal in the Wrangler. The Cummins diesel has so much product support and aftermarket add ons.
Cummins all the way! ThisR2.8 is a smaller engine perfectly sized for Jeeps, gets great MPGs and features excellent low-end torque. Cummins is regarded as a maker of very reliable engines. Different decade but Ram's introduction of Cummins into their trucks is widely credited as the turning point that made Ram what they are today... minor player to now top seller.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i think a basic 5.7 Hemi would have a ton of wrangler owners selling/trading in their current wranglers to get one. regardless of trim level. myself included. sell a V8 Sport at an affordable price and id be all over it.

Sponsored

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
... ThisR2.8 is a smaller engine perfectly sized for Jeeps, gets great MPGs and features excellent low-end torque....
How long does it take to make enogh power to break traction on dry asphalt from idle? Does the diesel have enough power before the turbo spools up, or is it similar to the gas turbo? Anyone know what the torque curve looks like without boost?

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Does anyone know why we are stuck with turbos when superchargers can be nearly as efficient these days?
Also, as important as a decent power plant, why dont we have driving modes like other modern vehicles? Imagine eco, track and offroad modes, each modifying throttle response and suspension settings from the dash.

OP
OP
dski

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
Does anyone know why we are stuck with turbos when superchargers can be nearly as efficient these days?
Also, as important as a decent power plant, why dont we have driving modes like other modern vehicles? Imagine eco, track and offroad modes, each modifying throttle response and suspension settings from the dash.

Wouldn't that be nice! I've wanted to supercharge my JK for years but gave up on it. I would love to have different throttle response modes and ride quality settings.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
The reason is because, while efficiency is better these days than the olden days, turbos are still more efficient in a nontrivial way for nearly all applications. As such, manufacturers under more and more strict standards will always go with something that gives power but also allows them to appear (and actually be) more efficient with fuel/caring about the environment. It's really the same answer as to why we have smaller displacement turbos more and more industry wide vs larger displacement n/a engines that would make the same horsepower.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Naturally Aspirated (na) is on the way out which makes since after so many years without any engine choices in the Wrangler. I have owned the several na V6 wranglers, and it really gets old to not be able to pass in the fast lane without hesitation because of the lag in power or be able to accelerate easily uphill without rpm redlines. Also at high elevations (where Wranglers play) the na are like wet dogs, so slow & sloppy because the air is so thin. I think the engine choice has to match the vehicle. The 2.0L turbo is perfect for the 2door Rubicon for both on & off-road performance. Even though some say the Rubicon is not a sports car... BUT man, it is sure nice to be in the FAST LANE again and passing everyone in a moment. So IMHO, for the iconic 2-door JLR ( I think most comments are for the 4-door wagon) the 2L Turbo works perfectly. PLUS its not a bad thing to get 20mpg on 35s and still be able to climb any hill like the grunters... CHEERS!!!
Sponsored