Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 02 Mustang GT, 12 Volt, 22 CCSB F250
Hoping to order a JLUR today. Never noticed this on my 18JKU, and now you have me scared to even buy a Jeep.

I think we may hold off on ordering. Jeep... if you are listening... this is officially costing you customers (ME!). My wife works at a Ford dealer, and the Bronco is coming. We are already answering questions as to why we're not ordering a Bronco. We want a Jeep, not a Bronco, but we do a fair amount of off roading, and above all, want something that WORKS. Those noises sound like impending axle doom.

And to those saying they don't trust the techs... good chance you're right.
Sponsored

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
Hoping to order a JLUR today. Never noticed this on my 18JKU, and now you have me scared to even buy a Jeep.

I think we may hold off on ordering. Jeep... if you are listening... this is officially costing you customers (ME!). My wife works at a Ford dealer, and the Bronco is coming. We are already answering questions as to why we're not ordering a Bronco. We want a Jeep, not a Bronco, but we do a fair amount of off roading, and above all, want something that WORKS. Those noises sound like impending axle doom.

And to those saying they don't trust the techs... good chance you're right.
Jeep doesn’t realize we have worked at dealers before. I sold jeeps at Heggs (now courtesy) Jeep and Ram in Mesa Arizona for a few years I’m “friends” with some of the guys. Ive already been told the techs were told by jeep it’s “normal”. And they pass that on to us customers. I get that Kate and other jeep cares reps want to help and I respect that but they don’t have the power to do anything. It’s been weeks and weeks and there’s threads everywhere and I havnt heard of one person being told by jeep corporate it’s a problem they are working on. I just want a solution. That’s fair, that’s honest, that’s the right thing to do, Jeep is supposed to be better than other brands. Idk anymore

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, we got pushed back to ordering tmrw... I'm still feeling a bit uneasy about it. At least I have a few weeks/months before I take delivery. I feel for the people that are dealing with it now.

Dealer techs are like anything else... there's good ones, and there's bad ones. Being a tech in a different industry, I feel as though I'm one of the good ones, but there are those out there that may disagree. My wife deals with both good and bad techs on the daily. I may ask the Ford techs to listen to our JLUR IF we take delivery and not cancel due to not seeing any real resolution on this. Jeep has to do better than saying its normal. I have no problem leaving the JL on the lot if this isn't moving forward by the time it arrives at the dealer.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It happened to me again yesterday when I went to 4L, I recognized it immediately. I put the transmission into N, then slid the transfer case to neutral (all the traction control and ABS turns back on in N, btw), counted to 5 then slid the transfer case back to 4L, counted to 5 again then slid transmission to D. No more issues the rest of the day. I had no issues the day before and spent 5 or 6 hours off-road. It definitely has something to do with the ABS / Traction control not disengaging when going to 4L (that's the only time I have noticed it). Perhaps switching to D before the system has fully disengaged? Are manual transmissions experiencing this?

As for "It's a Jeep" thing...that is BS because they can't explain or recreate the issue. Now that I know what the sound is, and how I can clear it, it doesn't make it a Jeep thing, it certainly makes it a "My Jeep" thing, but not all Jeeps do it. I shudder to think how I could even make this understandable to a service writer, lol.

tgarvens

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
It happened to me again yesterday when I went to 4L, I recognized it immediately. I put the transmission into N, then slid the transfer case to neutral (all the traction control and ABS turns back on in N, btw), counted to 5 then slid the transfer case back to 4L, counted to 5 again then slid transmission to D. No more issues the rest of the day. I had no issues the day before and spent 5 or 6 hours off-road. It definitely has something to do with the ABS / Traction control not disengaging when going to 4L (that's the only time I have noticed it). Perhaps switching to D before the system has fully disengaged? Are manual transmissions experiencing this?

As for "It's a Jeep" thing...that is BS because they can't explain or recreate the issue. Now that I know what the sound is, and how I can clear it, it doesn't make it a Jeep thing, it certainly makes it a "My Jeep" thing, but not all Jeeps do it. I shudder to think how I could even make this understandable to a service writer, lol.
My manual transmission does it in 4L

Sponsored

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
My manual transmission does it in 4L
Mine too after some research it's just the BLD activating, it does it usually under flex or whenever it senses a tire spin. I noticed the noise the first week of ownership and now have put close to 9000 miles with quite a large percentage of actual offroading on rocks not smooth dirt roads. No issues it just sounds bad, but it works I've climbed stuff without even needing lockers since the BLD system is active until you engage the real lockers I believe.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine too after some research it's just the BLD activating, it does it usually under flex or whenever it senses a tire spin. I noticed the noise the first week of ownership and now have put close to 9000 miles with quite a large percentage of actual offroading on rocks not smooth dirt roads. No issues it just sounds bad, but it works I've climbed stuff without even needing lockers since the BLD system is active until you engage the real lockers I believe.
Even if it is the BLD, the fact that it's engaging on flat ground is still a problem. Like I said, I was able to clear the issue by going out of 4L and back in again. An intermittent problem is still a problem.

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is BLD? I'm gonna feel dumb as soon as its answered.

Also, do the lockers only work in 4L?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
What is BLD? I'm gonna feel dumb as soon as its answered.

Also, do the lockers only work in 4L?
BLD - Brake Lock Differential

As shipped the lockers engage in 4L only.

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the BLD system locks the rear axle only? Or will it lock both axles in any certain situations?

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So the BLD system locks the rear axle only? Or will it lock both axles in any certain situations?
It should apply brake to the wheel that is spinning to cause the torque to apply to the wheel with traction. If all 4 wheels are firmly planted on the ground and not spinning, and BLD is applied...that is a problem. Same with ABS or traction control. If it's not needed and applying braking, that is a problem. Next time somebody experiences this, try to accelerate, I bet you cannot and will have a burning smell...that is a problem.

Pharmguy75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 21 Audi Q7
It should apply brake to the wheel that is spinning to cause the torque to apply to the wheel with traction. If all 4 wheels are firmly planted on the ground and not spinning, and BLD is applied...that is a problem. Same with ABS or traction control. If it's not needed and applying braking, that is a problem. Next time somebody experiences this, try to accelerate, I bet you cannot and will have a burning smell...that is a problem.
Any chance you know what fuse or fuses to pull to avoid this? Until there is a fix I think, I'd rather just pull the fuse when I have an off road trip planned.

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
Found a head tech here in Arizona at a dealership that said bring it in and if Jeep tells him it’s normal he will tell them no it’s not and open another star case refusing to take “it’s normal” for an answer. He’s been doing this a long time abs he said he will figure this out for me or at least do everything possible

BADMAV302

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Hi all,
I am having the same grinding issue in 4 lo. been to 2 different dealers who "can't duplicate any noises that aren't normal" I even have a video taken from inside the cab that you can clearly hear the noise, no help. Howardlv22 if your guy comes through please let us know. I'm in San Diego, but will gladly drive to the same Arizona dealer. I need someone who isn't going to blow me off or blame the lift. btw I have a 2021 JLUR v6 Auto

LostAggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I took back today and they can’t reproduce. No kidding, I told them it is in 4 wheel lo with off road... I said I would take video next time I am off road but they said it wouldn’t matter if they can’t reproduce.

I am going to demand my case with Jeep Cares stays open.
Sponsored