How much to ask for my Jeep

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
I want opinions as to what to ask for my Jeep (I just bought the 392 so I'm selling mine). I have a 2010 Jeep Sahara Unlimited (4-door) - Mango Tango color - with 45,000 miles in factory-new condition (I'm the original owner and it's always been garaged and never taken off-road / don't ask). Oil Changes kept current (synthetic), recently Ceramic Coated, fully loaded with every option including Sirius XM and Navigation, 3-piece hard top and the soft top, Tow Package with Lockable Receiver Pin, Killer Canyon Package. I had an additional $15,000 of after market work done at Fortec 4x4 in Roswell, GA including three inch Lift, Cast Iron Body Armor front and rear bumpers and Body Armor Tire Swing / Tailgate Strut Kit, Rock Rails, Heavy Duty Automatic Winch with Synthetic Winch Rope, Recovery Gear Kit, Cast Iron guards for all lights, HID Headlamps with accented Headlight trim lighting, Off Road Lights, Skid plates (full set), Mopar Gas Cap Cover, 3.8L Cool Air Intake System, Locking Lug Nuts, Armrests / Neoprene center console cushion / Fire Extinguisher Holder (required to participate in many Jeep and other events) / Mag Flashlight Holder / Upper Dash Console / Mopar Floor Mats / Grab Handles. The KBB price for the Jeep without the extras (with this milage and condition) was just under $25,000. I'm thinking I should ask $30,000. Thought? Opinions? Thanks! Barry
Sponsored

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Govā€™t Contractor & Gym Rat
Hi Barry,

Allow me to tell you what Iā€™ve experienced over the past thirty years. Iā€™ve purchased at least one new car every year and one new HD motorcycle every other year for the past thirty years.
Iā€™ve sold several/numerous vehicles and traded in several vehicles over those years.
Iā€™ve modded most of my cars and all of my HD motorcycles.
Iā€™ve lost big bucks, with every purchase/sale Iā€™ve ever made.
Dealers and most private parties could care less about mods. At best, youā€™ll recoup no more than 10-15% on your mods with either cars/trucks/Jeepā€™s or motorcycles.
Buyers want to personalize their own vehicles.
At the end of the day, your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay you. Take your emotions out of the game.
Sell at a reasonable price & then only then will it sell.
Some states give you a tax break on trade-ins; you only pay tax on the price difference. Consider this as well. Itā€™s a jungle out there, lol...
Consider removing mods and selling on this forum and/or CL.
GL/Cheers,
B

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I agree that between $25k-$30k should get it moving. I sold a pretty stock 2013 JKU with 40k miles for $26k a few months back. Check out carvana and kbb instant offers and add a couple thousand if you intend on selling private.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The 3.8L and pre-update interior drags it down quite a bit. If you get $25k Iā€™d be surprised.

Sponsored

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Oh true, the old engine and interior will push it to the lower end.

some guys prefer the 3.8...

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Personally I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening. I would ask something high, like 25k and be really happy with 20k. I think 18k is most realistic.

Most mods have no resale value. A ceramic coating certainly doesn't. The physical upgrades that do don't account for labor. You'll see 3k out of that 15k at absolute best. The vehicle is over 10 years old, not stock, 3.8 and doesn't have the updated interior. While Wranglers command strong resale this JK era is lowest on the list. A few other things as a buyer would turn me off aswell. You've added skid plates and a winch but the Jeep has always been garaged/never off-roaded. That doesn't make sense. Not to mention every craigslist ad says the same thing anyways. It could be very well true but it's still not believable. Lastly it always seem an ad that mentions every little thing on a vehicle has a sky high asking price. That's the impression I get Jeep or not.

Good luck with the sale.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Barry,

Allow me to tell you what Iā€™ve experienced over the past thirty years. Iā€™ve purchased at least one new car every year and one new HD motorcycle every other year for the past thirty years.
Iā€™ve sold several/numerous vehicles and traded in several vehicles over those years.
Iā€™ve modded most of my cars and all of my HD motorcycles.
Iā€™ve lost big bucks, with every purchase/sale Iā€™ve ever made.
Dealers and most private parties could care less about mods. At best, youā€™ll recoup no more than 10-15% on your mods with either cars/trucks/Jeepā€™s or motorcycles.
Buyers want to personalize their own vehicles.
At the end of the day, your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay you. Take your emotions out of the game.
Sell at a reasonable price & then only then will it sell.
Some states give you a tax break on trade-ins; you only pay tax on the price difference. Consider this as well. Itā€™s a jungle out there, lol...
Consider removing mods and selling on this forum and/or CL.
GL/Cheers,
B
^^^ this!

Bring it back to factory spec and sell everything else on Craigslist.

Not only you wonā€™t get anything for most aftermarket mods, it will sell faster the closer to factory spec it is, and the closer you list it to market price.

Keep the winch for the next Jeep. Clearly it is an ornament you value; might as well save the money.

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
i am assuming KBB is about what you will get. Sadly on mods you will be lucky to get $.10 on the dollar. Just is what it is. Also if your mods arenā€™t to the liking of a potential buyer then it actually will hurt you.

KBB usually gives a range. Usually you will get on private sale right about the mid range maybe a few bucks more. Trade in or Carvana etc will be low KBB.

Sponsored

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
i am assuming KBB is about what you will get. Sadly on mods you will be lucky to get $.10 on the dollar. Just is what it is. Also if your mods arenā€™t to the liking of a potential buyer then it actually will hurt you.

KBB usually gives a range. Usually you will get on private sale right about the mid range maybe a few bucks more. Trade in or Carvana etc will be low KBB.
That's kind of what I figured; I appreciate your insight. Thanks!

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
^^^ this!

Bring it back to factory spec and sell everything else on Craigslist.

Not only you wonā€™t get anything for most aftermarket mods, it will sell faster the closer to factory spec it is, and the closer you list it to market price.

Keep the winch for the next Jeep. Clearly it is an ornament you value; might as well save the money.

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck.
Good information, but wow - more work than I'm willing to do. I think I'll just have to hope for the best and suck up the loss. I'm not doing anything extra to the 392 (but what the heck else could I possibly want or need to do?!). Thanks!

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Personally I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening. I would ask something high, like 25k and be really happy with 20k. I think 18k is most realistic.

Most mods have no resale value. A ceramic coating certainly doesn't. The physical upgrades that do don't account for labor. You'll see 3k out of that 15k at absolute best. The vehicle is over 10 years old, not stock, 3.8 and doesn't have the updated interior. While Wranglers command strong resale this JK era is lowest on the list. A few other things as a buyer would turn me off aswell. You've added skid plates and a winch but the Jeep has always been garaged/never off-roaded. That doesn't make sense. Not to mention every craigslist ad says the same thing anyways. It could be very well true but it's still not believable. Lastly it always seem an ad that mentions every little thing on a vehicle has a sky high asking price. That's the impression I get Jeep or not.

Good luck with the sale.
You're probably right about the rude awakening. I'm definitely getting the message that the mods get you pretty much nothing (unless I just get lucky, which I will not count on). I really didn't take it off-road, and that should be obvious once it's viewed by a potential buyer. Yes, it's odd I did all of that and didn't take it off road. Combination of too busy and didn't want to do that until it started looking aged, which never happened. I'll dumb down the listing before I list it (better to under-promise and over-deliver). Thanks!

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
For me, the more mods a vehicle has the less I am interested in buying it.
I'm definitely getting that message, but I have to confess I don't understand why. I'm sure there are reasons since so many echo your thoughts on this. Personally, I'd like buying something that's already had everything done to it - saves me the trouble. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for responding!
Sponsored