First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Well since you're comparing Mopar to Rugged Ridge, here's my Rugged Ridge Spartacus. Installed Oct 30, pic taken Jan 30, 2021, @ 3 months old, and only 800 miles put on my Jeep as it sat in the garage, only out in the rain a couple times (before the Austin snow that recently hit). The hinges seem "off", the coating and shaping isn't even, and it's now rusting (on both hinges). I've never put a tool on it where the rust is, or been rough in any way with it. I've only opened it a few times for my dogs.

Given this experience, I'd opt Mopar from your door choices offered, because the build quality of my Mopar steel front bumper tells me they're on a different level than RR. Maybe they're not the best value, and some of their products don't have features you like from a 3rd party, but their quality seems to be one of the safer bets, on average.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? IMG_2727
Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
What’s up with those ridiculous Mopar sill guards, anyway.
I bought a set for $75. They look pretty but do not guard squat. I ditched them for a Quadratec set: cost 50% less and work 100% better. I should have gone with Quadratec from the start.

Same thing with the Mopar slush mats: they work fine but look dirty all the time. The Quadratec mats hide dirt better and cost a lot less.

Then there are the LED headlamps: $900 for the Mopar; $600 for the exact same thing under the DV8 Offroad label. And the halos on the DV8 are much easier to install!

Recently got a tailgate reinforcement on Amazon for $109. Looks identical to the Mopar listed for $600. Pff!

The Mopar soft top cost 33% more than the identical Bestop soft top. Bestop makes both!

Whoever runs Mopar must be smoking something.
Okay Aldo!! I am sold. I hate MOPAR now!!! I hate the so MUCH that I am just gonna SPITE them by buying their products and then..... and then... and.... then....

(disconnects..... beep beep beep.... the person you call cannot accept calls at this time....)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Okay Aldo!! I am sold. I hate MOPAR now!!! I hate the so MUCH that I am just gonna SPITE them by buying their products and then..... and then... and.... then....

(disconnects..... beep beep beep.... the person you call cannot accept calls at this time....)
Yeah, well...the other half of it are all those “concepts” FCA loves to show off loaded with Mopar parts.

But after you buy their stuff your dealer gives you trouble with the warranty...and FCA just looks the other way.

They can’t have it both ways. If you pay more for the Mopar name and the implicit guarantee, they better follow through. Otherwise, might as well try your luck elsewhere.

You can call me a disappointed, formerly-loyal Mopar customer.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Well since you're comparing Mopar to Rugged Ridge, here's my Rugged Ridge Spartacus. Installed Oct 30, pic taken Jan 30, 2021, @ 3 months old, and only 800 miles put on my Jeep as it sat in the garage, only out in the rain a couple times (before the Austin snow that recently hit). The hinges seem "off", the coating and shaping isn't even, and it's now rusting (on both hinges). I've never put a tool on it where the rust is, or been rough in any way with it. I've only opened it a few times for my dogs.

Given this experience, I'd opt Mopar from your door choices offered, because the build quality of my Mopar steel front bumper tells me they're on a different level than RR. Maybe they're not the best value, and some of their products don't have features you like from a 3rd party, but their quality seems to be one of the safer bets, on average.
IMG_2727.jpg
Wow thats tough Adam!! Sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing though, I know that MOPAR stuff are expensive but I do love their designs. It is more solid somehow (or I am being myopic cause of my bias who knows). I might get less stuff for my bucks - but at least it is something that I love. And I second what people said about MOPAR products being way high (damn you MOPAR) but one of the reason why they can carry the price is because there is a demand for it I guess.

I also think that while I will support items that are custom manufactured in United States (the subsequent version of the item are better - ie second version of Lange Hoist a Cart - a lot of them are custom made - for instance the soldering point between the metals) there are also a lot of knockoff from China that literally just copy the design.

Thanks to some cool guy over here that recently posted the thread about Lego Technic Jeep (actually I take that back - someone said that this forum creates want and he is so true cause if I have not seen the Lego Jeep I would not know it exist hence I would not buy it). There is this same priced - knockoff from China that people are buying from Amazon but they should have known better. Talking about Amazon - while I shop a lot on Amazon due to convenience and product availability - it is also enabled some unscrupulous seller from China that sells lower quality knockoff at fraction the price. Without Amazon, I don't think that our market would have been inundated with so much crap that are sometimes dangerous and did not meet the quality requirement.

Man I really digress - but I love my Lego Technic Jeep (thanks to you that posted on the forum - I sorta teensy weensy hate you too for sharing - cause along with the toy Jeep I also bought two authentic hats).

Here compare and contrast. Thanks for sharing - you guys are so awesome!

This is the real thang...

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? 81VkJG9k9xL._AC_SL1500_

And this is not - notice something interesting? I guarantee that it was spelled like that on purpose. I left a scathing one star review on Amazon! Mwaa ha ha.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? 71trUHWwAxL._AC_SL1200_

(I hope that your Jeep does not look like that Aldo after using those chaineseeee Jeep stuff- I am chaineeeseee myself - so I am allowed to make fun of myself :giggle: )

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Yeah, well...the other half of it are all those “concepts” FCA loves to show off loaded with Mopar parts.

But after you buy their stuff your dealer gives you trouble with the warranty...and FCA just looks the other way.

They can’t have it both ways. If you pay more for the Mopar name and the implicit guarantee, they better follow through. Otherwise, might as well try your luck elsewhere.

You can call me a disappointed, formerly-loyal Mopar customer.
I hear you Aldo! And I respect you (you know that even tho I reveredly (that is not a real english word btw) make fun of you - by the way I do like you old whachamacallit profile thumbnails better - and I really hope that I don't get disappointed like you did.

But then I might. I am really sorry to hear that your experience with a brand that you love has been degrading over time. Who knows five years from now, I will be in the same boat (I mean Jeep) with you. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
let’s see how the $12 part looks in 5 years
Gosh darn it, you're probably right! Then I'm gonna have to shell out another $12 five years from now. :giggle:

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Whoever runs Mopar must be smoking something.
Whatever they are smoking - I'm sure they're lighting it with $100 bills with all the money they are making with those prices :CWL:

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I worked a short time in a automotive fabrication shop after being a Porsche tech.
I own the mopar doors because of the design and build quality is beyond twice that of the other options I looked at. Pictures don't do them justice they are not flat doors and the bends are very nice. The latches and hinges are leagues beyond the competition.

I attached an image that might show the shape of them is complex and not a flat jig cheep door, they actually bow out and fit great.

You get what you pay for in these doors 100%

I would rather take a side impact with these than the full doors, they are beefy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? DSCF2446.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? DSCF2444.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? tubedrs.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
4 years with aftermarket tube doors and mirrors. No rust or falling apart. I think they look good too.

D0BB21FC-3FA1-4187-A28A-495D2A0AD085.jpeg
Like Ruby Clatterbox so profoundly posted

Ken's just a cheap skate.... :angel:
Actually, Steve is the REAL cheep skate! :angel: Him and his proud bikini colored ride and his never ending gloat on his oh so fanciful amazing super powpow meowmix SKY-ONE TOUCH top!

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I worked a short time in a automotive fabrication shop after being a Porsche tech.
I own the mopar doors because of the design and build quality is beyond twice that of the other options I looked at. Pictures don't do them justice they are not flat doors and the bends are very nice. The latches and hinges are leagues beyond the competition.

I attached an image that might show the shape of them is complex and not a flat jig cheep door, they actually bow out and fit great.

You get what you pay for in these doors 100%

I would rather take a side impact with these than the full doors, they are beefy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? D0BB21FC-3FA1-4187-A28A-495D2A0AD085

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? D0BB21FC-3FA1-4187-A28A-495D2A0AD085

Dude Calvin, I really love what you do to your Jeep!! Those black accents on Red - the wheels, the front grill and fender - they are all meticulously coordinated!! Pretty fantastic! Kudos!!!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Like Ruby Clatterbox so profoundly posted

Actually, Steve is the REAL cheep skate! :angel: Him and his proud bikini colored ride and his never ending gloat on his oh so fanciful amazing super powpow meowmix SKY-ONE TOUCH top!
Cheap skate? Not me. I like, I buy.
Sounds like my buddy Ken’s got some Sky One envy.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I have serious problem!! I love everything authentic - like I would literally pay more for MOPAR stuff than just some non MOPAR item. However, I also noticed that their prices are more exorbitant than any other item but there is something that I love about MOPAR design that adhere to the Jeep look vs. some other that could be more practical and cheaper but sorta (forgive my language) dilute the Jeep look.

I am about to purchase my tubular door (this summer I am GOING to ride with my door off wooo wooo) and I noticed that MOPAR door cost at least $800 (and they are out of stock) while the alternative starts at $250. I do love the design of the MOPAR door (again perhaps it is my bias that I think they look better or their workmanship is better - ie the soldering point of the metal are not as noticeable). But I do feel bad that I am spending money on a product due to its brand name. Same with the recently released MOPAR side mirror. I love how it looks like the regular Jeep mirror but a lot of people were commenting that there are other brands that are better and cheaper. I want to get both MOPAR mirror and tubular door that could have set me back by over $1000 when it is possible to get something that good at less than half the price.

Honest question here - are there any MOPAR aficionado out there that would justify such purchase or am I just crazy. (I know I am crazy in my other ways tyvm - but lets focus on the matter on hand haha) Maybe I am just trying to justify my wants vs needs.

:facepalm:
Howdy, Ken... regarding just the doors, neither More-par, nor RR offer much of any protection, but the Mopars are thicker and beefy. They have factory hinges and latches, if those are of any relevance to you. As mentioned, you get what you pay for. I've had them for a couple years now and I find them worth the price paid. If you think those are expensive.... how 'bout them half-doors....!
Sponsored