Possible end of V-6 for Wranglers? [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
When you have Jaguar saying they will be all electric by 2025 its easy to see we are in the final years of gas piston engines powering automobiles. I figure with the loons in office now we'll see it mandatory by 2030 at most. I like my smog belching vehicles and my firearms. They ain't getting either till I'm dead.
Sponsored

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
Yup, the writing is definitely on the wall. Which is why I placed my order this year for a manual 3.6L wrangler. It will be my last vehicle that I'm able to get a manual.

I'm always asked, why the manual, especially with automatics getting better gas mileage now.

Simple. I like it.

Funny, this answer never satisfies them.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I think that we are in the end days of the internal combustion engine. Everything is going electric. I just don't know how we can take a cross country road trip in an electric vehicle.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
I bought a 981 Porsche Cayman S a couple years ago as it was supposed to be the last generation Cayman with the flat six as the new Cayman 718 was going to a turbo'd 4 banger.....Well, the 4 banger didn't go over well with the Porsche buyers mostly due to the stigma and the sound and recently brought back the flat six to the 718 GTS and GT4.....I know people don't buy Jeeps for their speed or their sound so it is a bit different, but I can see Jeep doing something similar to what Porsche did in the future ....maybe reserve the V6 for the Rubicon only or something
I kept my Porsche with the flat six after I heard that they were introducing the 4 cylinder engine. Just wrong, that flat six is their staple engine and sings above 3k like no other.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
California, Massachusetts, and the EU have already imposed legislation to ban all new gas car sales by 2035.... More states and automakers are getting on board with this....

There is a possibility the JL will be the last gas powered Wrangler generation if legislators get there way.

Don't shoot the messenger!
Looks like I would have to buy a diesel, V6, OH, HOW are they doing with charging their battery cars in Texas? My daughter hasn't had heat in four days and people are sleeping in their gas car, with heater on.

Sponsored

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
When you have Jaguar saying they will be all electric by 2025 its easy to see we are in the final years of gas piston engines powering automobiles. I figure with the loons in office now we'll see it mandatory by 2030 at most. I like my smog belching vehicles and my firearms. They ain't getting either till I'm dead.
The only loons are those that left. Their ignorance is abundantly obvious, but that’s the base. Chest pound when someone makes a mistake and offer zero solutions or offer any assistance. You will be dead before gasoline engines are not the standard.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This may not mean anything, but I received a survey from Jeep today. The questions in the survey were focused around 2.0L Turbo vs. 3.6L V6. One of the last questions was whether I would still get a Wrangler or not get one if only the 2.0L Turbo was offered.

Just thought it was interesting.
Looking at the power output of the 2.0, it is reasonable to assume that it was intended as a possible replacement for the 3.6, which has been around since before 2012. Even with the update to the 3.6, the desire is probably there to simplify the product line.

So why did the 3.6 not just get outright replaced? Probably several reasons. First, it is one of, if not the outright lowest warranty cost mass produced engine on the market. It has an excellent reputation and has been a major contributor to Chrysler's bottom line since it came out. It has won awards and alcolades and it also fits in nearly every application in the FCA portfolio. It is produced in such large numbers that the unit cost is very low, as well. Another reason was that it was a 100% safe bet in the new Wrangler. The last thing you want in a new product launch, especially of an icon, is a risky engine proposition. That's not saying the 2.0 was risky. But in the market's mind, it was new and tied to Fiat, so they really needed to offer a safe choice until it proves itself.

Now we don't know what the cost is to produce the 2.0 compared to the 3.6, and while it appears to be very reliable out of the gate, we still don't know, and probably never will know, what the warranty claim costs are compared to the 3.6. It also has not proven its longevity.....yet. But it may be getting there. If it is on a good trend, Stelantis may indeed be sticking a toe in the water to see if it would hurt Jeep sales at all to move solely to the 2.0 or to move to the 2.0 and another newly developed engine, such as the inline six we read about a year or so ago.

Another advantage of the V6, at least with older customers, is its smoother and quieter NVH characteristics. But as tastes and people's tolerance change, there may be a growing positive reception to the 2.0 enough to make the full shift.

And there's one more thing......The six is in such huge demand that FCA is in a legal entanglement with one of the block suppliers who allegedly hasn't lived up to what FCA says they agreed to supply. So one way to make up for it is to see if they can sell more 2.0 engines, easing the crunch on the Pentastars.

So there could be many reasons for it. I guarantee if the cost of the 2.0 is turning out to be less, then they'll want to push hard to increase its numbers. But I seriously doubt that the total cost, which is cost to produce plus warranty claim costs per X number of engines, is less than the 3.6. It has set a pretty tough mark to beat, according to folks I know that are in the industry. It has been the envy of other manufacturers for some time on that front.

Of course, I could be partly or even completely wrong. But I think it is a pretty educated guess and that the actual driving reason is among those I mentioned.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, and I think Texas just proved that fossil fuels are going to be around for a good while to come, in spite of what the free bubble-up and Rainbow Stew crowd might dream.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I think that we are in the end days of the internal combustion engine. Everything is going electric.
it sure looks like its the path we are heading into.

I just don't know how we can take a cross country road trip in an electric vehicle.
that is one thing i'm wondering about. i just dont see it.

Sponsored

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
That’s our stupid Texas solution. It’s the result of deregulated power. You know for profit and fuck the rest. The GOP has run Texas for two decades and this is their best solution. Don’t mind the planes flying over with at the sporting events. No waste there either.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, and I think Texas just proved that fossil fuels are going to be around for a good while to come, in spite of what the free bubble-up and Rainbow Stew crowd might dream.
Turns out, the misery in Texas is coming mostly from fossil fuel energy sources, primarily natural gas, not green sources, which the governor would prefer to blame.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
to be honest, it will be interesting to see what the future will hold in the gasoline world of vehicles. we are seeing more and more smaller motors to replace the bigger ones. how ever the manufactures are improving the bigger motors to be more fuel efficent. so i think the gasoline motors are here to stay. it might be in a smaller form which most of us dont want.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s our stupid Texas solution. It’s the result of deregulated power. You know for profit and fuck the rest. The GOP has run Texas for two decades and this is their best solution. Don’t mind the planes flying over with at the sporting events. No waste there either.
Ok, and how about California? Who has been running it? I don't think the Democrats have a corner on the market with good decisions, either. They have rolling blackouts all the time in the best of weather and nobody seems to notice. I think their model is actually much worse.

The fact is that we've moved too green too fast in some places. And on top of that, I don't really think it is fair to pass judgement over performance during a once in a century event.

Imagine if California has a once in a century event? Yikes!

Meanwhile, the US now shuts down our own oil pipeline but provides money for the Taliban pipeline. Go figure.

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
I'm also a "no clutch, no sale" buyer.

It's odd though as I was initially going to wait for a Bronco and, of course, it's just the opposite over there ...the manual is only available with their four-cylinder turbo and not available with the V6. I actually like the idea of their "7"-speed manual mated with the 2.3L EcoBoost --an engine that seems relatively reliable and very efficient.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.