Had my first death wobble.

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
2020 Rubicon, AEV 2.5” lift, Steersmarts front track bar, drag link and tie rod, new steel steering box, 38,000 miles.
I was driving home yesterday on a two lane highway with my wife and kids. There were steel drain gates on both the left lane and the right lane. I was going about 60-65. I went over one of the drain gates and felt a slight shift (more than normally expected). As soon as I hit the next one I immediately went into a death wobble. I’ve never experienced this before. My instant reaction Was I blew a tire out. Very, very quickly I realized what was happening as it seemed to increase in intensity rapidly. As I was slowing down gradually, trying to control the wheel so I don’t jump lanes (it was a packed highway), checking all my mirrors making sure no one was going to hit me, all I kept telling the family was , “Don’t worry. It’s okay.”
As I hit around 5-10 mph, it finally stopped and I kept going.
My wife was cool during it. My daughter almost freaked but held it together. And the best part was, my 8 year old son was sleeping and obviously woke up. After it was over, he started cracking up. He thought it was awesome. If I could of done it again, he would of been all for it:)
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Glad you are OK.

With the SteerSmart system, the bolt for stabilizer shock that goes to the bar came loose a couple of times. Last time, I used a lot more blue Loctite, and the bolt has not come loose.

IMHO, the single bolt to hold the stabilizer to the bar needs to have some kind of mechanism to keep it from vibrating loose (e.g., safety wire, mechanical lock, etc.)

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Death wobble nooo fun in traffic. In no traffic it still sucks too. Doubt its the wheel balance weight. The dealer will replace your steering stabilizer with another useless one that masks the issue for a while. Also trackbar could be replaced by factory and wont solve the issue permanently. Local shop in Atlanta has stated they install a steering BOX stabilizer bracket and that it permanently solves the issue for their customers.

Last time it happened to me the dealership put a Fox steering stabilizer on mine and no issues yet, but I still cringe when I run over something that offets between the front tires. Ive had 7 or 8 steering stabilizers and a couple trackbars between my 18 & 19 JL Saharas.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

That's the worst! My first and last DW was a track bar that was no longer torqued to spec.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Checked all the bolts and greased the fittings. I did notice that the draglink Pittman joint did have a small grease leak. It still had grease in it but was obviously coming out from somewhere. When I pumped some grease in it, I could see it coming out from a puncture/slit that I can’t actually see.
never thought to check the stabilizer bolt. I’m running a fox ats, so it shouldn’t hopefully be the stabilizer itself. I’ll definitely have to check it’s on there tight.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming everything in the steering and suspension systems is torqued to spec, it may be the ball joints. You're already beyond the mileage point that others have reported looseness in theirs.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If you have the Synergy Sector shaft brace, check the large nut (Maybe 1 7/8" hex) that holds on assembly. Mine came loose. Used a bunch of red loctite and re-torqued to ~180 Ft-Lbs. So far, so good.

OP
OP

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Assuming everything in the steering and suspension systems is torqued to spec, it may be the ball joints. You're already beyond the mileage point that others have reported looseness in theirs.
I’ll definitely have to check out the ball joints. Probably going to have to wait until the weekend with all the snow coming to NY tomorrow.

OP
OP

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Glad you are OK.

With the SteerSmart system, the bolt for stabilizer shock that goes to the bar came loose a couple of times. Last time, I used a lot more blue Loctite, and the bolt has not come loose.

IMHO, the single bolt to hold the stabilizer to the bar needs to have some kind of mechanism to keep it from vibrating loose (e.g., safety wire, mechanical lock, etc.)
And you are the winner. How the hell did I miss that the first time?! Thanks!

5947F6A5-1080-4C58-BF4B-F70BB3E89252.jpeg

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you have run larger tires, do not be surprised if you need new ball joints with the amount of miles you have on your Jeep.

OP
OP

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
If you have run larger tires, do not be surprised if you need new ball joints with the amount of miles you have on your Jeep.
Running 37’s. Just spoke to steersmarts and ordered the countersunk bolt I need for the stabilizer. Have to say, speaking to them through their chat system was great! Props! I agree, I think it’s time to order ball joints. Seems like most people recommend the Dynatracs.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Am I right in looking at the dynatracs? They run $630 pretty much everywhere I look.
You mean these?
Jeep Wrangler JL Had my first death wobble. 1613671662785

I was $613 delivered from Northridge4x4. I am putting them in either on Friday or early next week. I already installed a set last week on my buds 19 JLUR. He has 43,000+ miles and his OEM ball joints were shot. Only the boot was keeping them from slopping around. They should have been replaced probably 5000 or so miles ago. I suspect mine will be the same.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
And you are the winner. How the hell did I miss that the first time?! Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Had my first death wobble. 1613671662785
would/could you post a picture of that bolt? I have a set up from Synergy and trying to get it to work with mine.
Sponsored