Sponsored

How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you are a Scandinavian race driver, everyone is a dummy in the snow.

The problem is, half of the people on the road are unaware of it.
Sponsored

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
Great advice from all.

I would add the brake is not your friend on the snow and ice. Rather than use it, take your foot off the gas and slow down gradually. If you feel slippage in your wheels, take your foot off the gas and coast.

If you MUST use the brake, a light touch is best.

When you get to a place that has snow, find a large open area and have some fun. Get a feel for what the Jeep will do and how it reacts in snow. Give it a little gas to help kick the back end around to see what happens. Please note, make sure there are no obstructions in the area.

Good Luck!

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

Here's a picture of me for reference.
1613478768922.png
Drive slow, don't slam on the brakes, turn easy, if you have 4 wheel drive or AWD, then use it when necessary.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
well its the first day of driving for @Stormin’ Moorman and he hasnt checked in yet. he's either still driving or didnt make it out of his driveway, stuck in the snow bank. calling to all jl members that are close to his travel route, keep an eye out for him.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Only one comment as I'm late to the party: You can shift from 2wd to 4wd hi at 55 mph but don't ask about that on this forum. You are welcome.

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m in Canton TX we’ve got ten plus inches here. The Jeep has been our daily driver this week! Had to pull 3 people up hills this morning during my short trip to town. We go to SW Colorado several times a year so I have decent experience driving in winter conditions, however most people here have never seen this much snow let alone drove in. Definitely take it slow and watch out for the other people on the road.
AF19FBB0-B375-45A7-8C06-D4CCF532C623.jpeg
45956149-E1A6-4FA7-878C-0C61BCA49D14.jpeg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

Sponsored

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Others have provided a good list of do's and don'ts as well as supplies. You may also want to throw a bag of kitty litter in the back. This can be used to aid in traction if you get into a slippery spot and don't have chains.

RubixWNC

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 4D, 3.6L, MT, Rubicon, Hard Top
Occupation
Engineer
Torque is not your friend when you get on ice. Use a higher gear (not for a higher speed) and ease into the throttle to keep the motor barely engaging. Nice and slow... imagine you are walking on ice. It's all about which way is gravity going to drag you, and what little amount of delicate friction you have to keep you going. I LOVE IT.

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
All great advice. What about the "Traction Control" button. Should traction control be turned on or off in snow?

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Drive like it's Sunday morning and your momma gave you an uncovered full pot of chicken gumbo to get to memaw and papaw's for lunch after church.

That gumbo is unsecured sitting on your back seat.

Assume everyone else around you is an hour or two behind on their trip to Talladega for the race that day.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Others have provided a good list of do's and don'ts as well as supplies. You may also want to throw a bag of kitty litter in the back. This can be used to aid in traction if you get into a slippery spot and don't have chains.
When I drove RWD vehicles I always carried 2 (maybe 3) 25lb. bags of kitty litter in the trunk. That extra weight was great for traction right over the rear axle, and I could always crack one open if necessary and pour it under the tires to get me moving if I got really stuck.
Sponsored