Sponsored

285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers?

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
not on your list, but I’d consider the General ATX. Runs truer to size than most other tires ive used in most sizes, and is IMO way better than the two you listed. Ive never used the nitto’s, but never been impressed with what ive seen from my buddy’s trucks with them on trail.

i have used ko2’s extensively, and had nothing but issues with them. Im in the minority of people who think that, but ive experienced too many failures with them to give them any more of money.

i have Falken at3w and like them, but will go back to General my next set.
Checking those out as we speak! Thanks!
Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Checking those out as we speak! Thanks!
cool! Should be cheaper than a KO2, they do great in mud and sand for an AT; and have a snow flake. I used them extensively in Africa and became a believer. They are heavy, but incredible durable. 2 years on continent and not a single flat or tear On trucks weighing over 3 tons.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Those of you looking at the Mickey Thompson line should also look at the Cooper line. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson as well as Cepek. When I was looking to buy another set of Cooper STMaxx tires for my truck, I found the M/T ATz was the equivalent tire and happened to be on sale at the time. Just very slightly different tread pattern. I've found they function the same.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those of you looking at the Mickey Thompson line should also look at the Cooper line. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson as well as Cepek. When I was looking to buy another set of Cooper STMaxx tires for my truck, I found the M/T ATz was the equivalent tire and happened to be on sale at the time. Just very slightly different tread pattern. I've found they function the same.
Looking at Mickey Thompson ATZ reviews. I swear I keep adding more to the list, not what I had planned lol!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
If you are still looking around, take a look at the General Grabber AT/x. I put 265/70r17 on my Sport with no lift and they look great with the white lettering face out. They were really great in the deep mud and sand as well as being snow rated. I went with this size because i wanted alittle bit more meat on the ground but didnt want to fill the wheel wells and ruin my articulation.

I also took them on a 1000 mile road trip after getting them and they were smooth as glass with very little road noise.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Looking at Mickey Thompson ATZ reviews. I swear I keep adding more to the list, not what I had planned lol!
My 4x4 crewcab truck is on the M/T ATz tires now. They are wearing like the Cooper STMaxx tires I had prior to them. They lasted over 50,000 miles. I like them well enough that's what I'm buying for the Jeep when the K02 tires wear out or maybe sooner.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
My only experience is with the stock 33" K02s in my Rubicon but they have been great in all conditions and are quiet on the road. They do love to eat up little rocks so it gave the key a good purpose in life to get them out.
If you leave those little rocks in there, it discourages tail-gaters.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Cooper STMaxx is available in 285/75r-17 and is a full 34.06 diameter. Although it is a LR E tire. I'm good with that, I like the extra sidewall puncture/rupture protection in jagged rocks.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well after looking at those two I did lots and lots of research and went with the General Grabber ATX- so neither of the original two. Got incredible reviews over all terrains and conditions and rated for severe snow. Excellent price through Tire Rack and shipping right to the installer. Will let you know how I like them when they are put on! Supposed to get a ton of snow so I’m hoping I can get them on and installed before that to try them 🤞🏻

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Well after looking at those two I did lots and lots of research and went with the General Grabber ATX- so neither of the original two. Got incredible reviews over all terrains and conditions and rated for severe snow. Excellent price through Tire Rack and shipping right to the installer. Will let you know how I like them when they are put on! Supposed to get a ton of snow so I’m hoping I can get them on and installed before that to try them 🤞🏻
Nice! Look forward to your impressions when you get some time w/ them.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Great! Most people over-do the tire thing. That is, they buy more off road tire than they actually use. The General ATx looks like it will be great on road and off.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great! Most people over-do the tire thing. That is, they buy more off road tire than they actually use. The General ATx looks like it will be great on road and off.
That’s what swayed me-I’m on the road more than off and this seems like more of a hybrid tire. Just aggressive looking enough without sacrificing on road performance in the elements! I’ll keep you posted, can’t wait to get them- and just the right size to give my Jeep a more bold stance 😁

Lioska

First Name
Alioscha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely drawn to the look of the Nittos but also don’t want to give up functionality. How have they been in the rain and have you seen any snow in them? They look great on your Jeep!
They are great on snow and rain. I live in Seattle so I have tested the tires a lot in both conditions. I drove on pretty deep snow this week and the tires were awesome.

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? PXL_20210214_210427713.MP_LI_Moment(2)

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
Congratulations! And *thumbs up* as i have been a fan of Generals for decades going back to the 1960s when I purchased my first set for a '62 Chevy Nova SS. In the mid-70s, I purchased another set --the first radial tire I had purchased-- for a 1972 Mazda 616 that for some reason had bias-ply tires. What a difference in handling I remember it being going from bias-ply to a radial ...after that, I was hooked on radials for sure but also on General Tires.

I'm an old fart so many of you probably don't remember the "Sooner or Later You'll Own Generals" advertising song ...I think it was around the early 70s when it was popular (GO HERE to hear it on youtube). It sticks in my mind to this day and find myself singing it to myself every time I buy tires! LOL --as the last set I purchased was for my Subaru Outback (50k+ miles and they still look new).

I have owned two sets of Grabbers for pickups I've had in the past and liked them. They gave years of service with long tread life and just a great tire all around. Never had a flat with any of the Generals I've owned but that has really nothing to do with tire itself ...just luck. Nonetheless, it just gives me another small justification to keep considering Generals when shopping for tires.

You made a good choice in my opinion. Since you said you purchased at Tire Rack, you've seen their survey rating results but I'll take a quick screen shot for others who might be interested in the comparison with the KO2. And like the KO2, they're made in the U.S. Plus, the Grabber A/TX is more than $30 LESS money per tire.

And here's a recent review from FourWheeler mag on the Grabber A/TX using a TJ:

General Grabber A/Tx Tire Review

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? genera tire

From TireRack BFG KO2:
Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? KO2

From TireRack General Grabber A/TX:
Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? General Grabber

...and no, I'm no, I don't work for General but just a fan :P

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are great on snow and rain. I live in Seattle so I have tested the tires a lot in both conditions. I drove on pretty deep snow this week and the tires were awesome.

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? General Grabber
Ah great to hear! They look good, too!
Sponsored