www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I changed the oil today (First change) Reset the oil life counter and left the info display to oil pressure when I left the Auto Hobby Shop. Normal oil pressure @ 30psi, looks good I say... Then I hit the first traffic light, engine stops, pressure zero; cool. Upon engine restart and I start rolling, the oil pressure rose to 67psi then slowly tapered down to the normal 30psi; yikes!

The only way I could prevent the high pressure spike was to ease off the brake and sit for about 8 sec then go. Try doing that in Comifornia traffic without getting shot at. With the ESS system off (Button) the oil pressure remains at a constant 30psi.

This oil spike can not be good for the oil seals over the long haul. Additionally, would that pressure spike Bypass the oil filter and allow unfiltered oil to circulate for a time? I imagine it would and that also can not be a good thing. Hence no more ESS for me.

I did a search and did not see this referenced in any oil pressure or ESS threads. If this has been addressed, I apologize for wasting your time.
Oil pump is two stage. 30psi up to 3k rpm. 65-70psi above 3k that is normal in my Jeep. Been like that since day one

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It’s normal if it’s above 3k rpm due to two stage oil pump.
Manufacturers have dabbled on the low end of minimum oil pressure for so long, people think it's perfectly normal to have 15 psi and the engine must be broken if it gets above 40. LOL.

ITGuy

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
At least we agree the problem is in your mind.

What does your Jeep not do when the engine shuts off a stoplight that you want it to do? Do you just want it to run just for the sake of making noise?
You actually do lose AC capacity, and introduce a slight Delay in response time, and additional wear and tear on the Starter components. Let’s not forget that the ESS is a hack from FCA to get slightly better gas mileage and there are costs to it, if you are willing to pay for some extra fuel you can avoid the costs.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Manufacturers have dabbled on the low end of minimum oil pressure for so long, people think it's perfectly normal to have 15 psi and the engine must be broken if it gets above 40. LOL.
yea im used to my old truck with a small block chevy used to always run right at 30 psi no matter what. i recently installed a new small bock 350 from blue print with 400hp and under full throttle acceleration i can see up to 90psi from that oil system. it was a bit unnerving at first but i learned after calling blue print thats normal nowadays. these new motors are running smaller ports with thinner oil that leads to higher pressure is how they explained it. where as the old blocks with 10-30 and 10-40 oils where high volume low pressure for the think oil to move around and pull heat out of the blocks
Sponsored