Sponsored

A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
I posted this at the end of another thread but received no responses so I'll ask it in a slightly different manner in hopes that I can get a better idea of what's going on.

I'm in the process of assembling an order for a possible Sahara Altitude. The Altitude models, of course, feature "blacked-out" trim for both exterior and interior items.

In the standard interior features listing for the Altitude, it states something described as "Wizard-Black Instrument Panel Bezels."

In the stock photos from Jeep --on the website and other company images-- it shows black trim around the tachometer and speedometer pods. It also shows black trim on the steering wheel spokes. This is distinguished from a standard Sahara or even a Rubicon and other non-Altitude models where the trim appears to be silver or what is described in the features listing as "Silver Platinum Instrument Panel Bezels " ...see images below for the comparison.

However, I've NEVER seen any Altitude model either in person on a dealer's lot or in photos from dealership inventories that have this blacked-out interior trim on the instrument bezels or the steering wheel. It seems to exist only in the Jeep image collections but not in real-life. In fact, every JL I've seen has had the silver trim around the tach/speedo and the on the steering wheel spokes.

I kind of like the look of the blacked-out bezel and steering wheel trim but as I say, I haven't seen it in reality anywhere.

My question: Does ANYBODY who has an Altitude have this blacked-out trim around the tach/speedo pods or on the steering wheel?

Thanks.

Wizard-Black instrument panel bezels and steering wheel trim?
Jeep Wrangler JL A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners Wizard-Black Trim

Silver platinum instrument panel bezels found on most other non-Altitude models including the Rubicon ...in fact, ALL JL's I've seen
Jeep Wrangler JL A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners Silver Platinum Trim
Sponsored

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

My question: Does ANYBODY who has an Altitude have this blacked-out trim around the tach/speedo pods or on the steering wheel?
I have a Sport Altitude and I DO have blacked-out steering wheel trim. It is a flat black finish , as opposed to what is shown above. My dash bezels are dark grey.

I guess i never paid close enough attention to really notice until today.

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Some of us have the black bezel on the steering wheel with chrome tac/speedo.

When you’re first building, these small details may seem super important but the reality is, when you get behind the wheel they aren’t really a point of focus anymore.

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Dave and Kevin.

Yep, I know it's petty for me to ask about it and I was thinking the same thing, that it won't make a big deal one way or the other. I'm thinking most prefer the silver trim and some don't give a sh** what color trim they have, after all, buying a Wrangler is not about insignificant things like what color the dash or steering wheel trim might be. There are much more important things as it pertains to owning a Wrangler. I do get it.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way about what FCA/Mopar is doing.

I'm wondering how many of the Altitudes coming off the assembly line have the blacked-out bezel and steering wheel trim. I'm thinking none and if any, not many as I've been to many dealers now and have been browsing through lots of images of dealer inventory and I haven't seen one yet.

But why?

They describe and illustrate it in the order guide and online configurator. Yet they don't follow through.

If FCA is going to describe features and give an illustration of how it appears, then why aren't they following through and doing it as vehicles are assembled? They really shouldn't be distinguishing any difference between the Altitude and non-Altitude tach/speedo and steering wheel trim at all ...but yet they specifically describe the trim in question.

Or, give us a choice. As one is configuring the vehicle, have a check box that gives an option, e.g.:

â–ˇ Wizard-Black Instrument Panel Bezels and Steering Wheel Trim (no charge)

In THIS THREAD, the OP is expressing the same issue. He asked his dealer about it and they arranged to have the black trim pieces sent to him. However, he never did come back to post in the thread if he received it or not. Even if he did receive it, why should he have to ask for it in the first place when it's a described feature? It should have been done at the factory. Why does he have to install it himself after taking delivery? ...I'm not sure how difficult it would be to install but still ...why? (I guess it's no biggie to install the bezel rings but it sounds a bit more involved to change the steering wheel trim).

I don't know, I guess it just irritates me that they are doing this. Petty, yes. But still a bit aggravating.

Thanks.

edited: What if I specified during the ordering process that, for instance, I wanted "wizard black instrument panel bezels and steering wheel spoke trim (as FCA/Mopar describes an Altitude's standard feature), would they accommodate my wish?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

They describe
Can you actually show where they detail the steering wheel trim and gauge bezel being black?

This is all I see:

" The sleek look of Wrangler Altitude extends inside the cabin. Sport Altitude is outfitted with an all-black interior and cloth seats, while Sahara Altitude gets upgraded with black leather-trimmed seats. "

and

" The dashboard bolster is finished in wizard black paint to give you a clean finish that shines bright. "

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What if I specified during the ordering process that, for instance, I wanted "wizard black instrument panel bezels and steering wheel spoke trim (as FCA/Mopar describes an Altitude's standard feature), would they accommodate my wish?
Not unless those items are specifically listed on your order/build sheet after you build out the vehicle specs with your salesperson.

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm, I guess I have to backpedal as it pertains to the steering wheel trim. It doesn't mention that in writing but only by the illustration I provided in the opening post.

Below are screenshots of 1) the description of the "Wizard-Black Instrument Panel Bezels" on page 10 of the latest order guide, and 2) the page listing the standard features of the Sahara Altitude on the online configurator

But again, if they (FCA) list it as a standard feature, why should I have to ask for it? As far as I can tell, it will be part of the listed vehicle specs on the build sheet ...see below

from order guide:
Jeep Wrangler JL A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners order guide

from online configurator:
Jeep Wrangler JL A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners configurator

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I've got a 2020 Sahara Altitude made a week before COVID shut down the assembly line last Fall. It's got the black interior trim just like the first photo shows.

I prefer the black finishes inside as I spend a lot of time out in the West Desert with the glaring sun. I even tinted the already factory-tinted windows to make the inside darker still. Advice to others wanting it darker inside: The roof insulation package is black too and helps the darkness factor.

Hunter

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a 2020 Sahara Altitude made a week before COVID shut down the assembly line last Fall. It's got the black interior trim just like the first photo shows.

I prefer the black finishes inside as I spend a lot of time out in the West Desert with the glaring sun. I even tinted the already factory-tinted windows to make the inside darker still. Advice to others wanting it darker inside: The roof insulation package is black too and helps the darkness factor.

Hunter
Thanks Hunter. So there actually is one out there in reality. I'd really like to see one in person or at least see a good photo of one but it's exciting that I now can confirm that they actually do exist.

I prefer not only the looks of the black bezels and steering wheel trim but I too think it will function to my advantage as you describe.

When I place my order, I'm going to ask if I can attach a note to it specifically requesting it. But like I mentioned, since it's listed as a standard feature, why should I have to do that ...why should I have to ask for it? I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks again.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does ANYBODY who has an Altitude have this blacked-out trim around the tach/speedo pods or on the steering wheel?
I never really noticed until today, since I haven't been driving much due to COVID, and I DO have blacked-out steering wheel trim in my Sport Altitude. It is a flat/satin black finish, as opposed to what is shown above. My dash bezels are dark grey.

Sponsored

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never really noticed until today, since I haven't been driving much due to COVID, and I DO have blacked-out steering wheel trim in my Sport Altitude. It is a flat/satin black finish, as opposed to what is shown above. My dash bezels are dark grey.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting.

Both of you who have affirmed that you have the black bezels have 2020s. I wonder if they've changed their minds about the black trim for 2021 and just didn't update it in writing as so far, I haven't seen a 2021 with it or anybody here reporting that they have 2021 with it? I may contact FCA before ordering to see what's up with that description.

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392 Sarge Green
I have 21' Sport Altitude, I will take some pictures when I start the jeep tomorrow. Personally I don't like colored fenders on Sahara Altitude so I chose Sport Altitude, and of course saved some money. Sport Altitude is in the middle of Sport and Sahara, it comes with some features from Sahara mode, like the suspension.

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392 Sarge Green
Here you go. I park in a garage so light is not perfect. It's a little different from the website, everything in round shape has a silver ring, e.g. tachometer, speedometer, ac duct.
Jeep Wrangler JL A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners IMG_5008
Jeep Wrangler JL A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners IMG_5004

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2021 Sport S (non-Altitude) with the satin black trim on the steering wheel.
Interesting. And strange. So you have black trim on the steering wheel spokes but the silver trim around the tach/speedo pods? Thanks much for letting me know.

Here you go. I park in a garage so light is not perfect. It's a little different from the website, everything in round shape has a silver ring, e.g. tachometer, speedometer, ac duct.
Thank you for taking the time to post the pics! Yeah, it's really baffling to me as I'd really like to have all those dash rings you mentioned in black instead of the silver.

I keep going back and forth between the Sport and Sahara Altitudes. I tend to prefer leather seats and that's why I keep going back to the Sahara but sometimes I think it won't matter too much. I don't like the body-colored fenders either. So like I say, I keep going back and forth between the two as I also would like that upgraded center display which I thought wasn't available in the Sport ...but you have it so I'll have to study this some more.

How were you able to get the upgraded center display in instrument cluster on the Sport? I can't seem to configure one with that display as it doesn't seem to be a part of the packages. I haven't yet searched the forum to get information on what are the exact differences between the standard and the upgraded digital display that's between the tachometer and speedometer.
Sponsored