Help Identify this Screw...

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
After going out and driving around in the snow today (on local snow covered roads and not "off-roading") and spending most of the day in 4H and 4L, I decided to just check out the undersurface of the jeep to make sure everything looked ok. Oddly, I found a screw sticking out from a hole in the bottom of the front bumper area (skid plate) on passenger side. I am wanting to make sure I (no idea how I would have) didn't knock something off the front or undersurface of the bumper/skid plate....If it happens to be a screw that fell down from somewhere above in the engine compartment or components right above skid plate and just by some chance happen to seat within and poke out of a stock hole, can anyone help to identify possibly where it may have come from or what it secures. Its a pointed screw and not a flat bolt or machine screw (meaning non-point), so not really sure what it would have originally served. Its also odd where it was, in that it seems it would be hard to have kicked up from the ground to the inside of the skid plate. It looks like there's another matching hole in the skid plate and no screw sticking out on that side, so I'm thinking it came from somewhere and just happened to end up there. These 2 holes look to be just that holes.. Maybe someone with the stock steel bumper can look under their's at their skid plate and verify there are 2 holes and no screws belong there. Also someone who has done more work on their front end and suspension or perhaps taken off their grill and knows what all sits behind it will know if the screw came from anywhere. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... Front 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... Front 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... Inside bumper
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... Inside 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... screw size
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea, but if I had to guess (which I will), then I'd say that's just you Jeeps way of holding onto spare hardware in case you need it later for a trail repair.

You can never have too many bolts, sockets, tape, rope, locktite, screws, wrenches, clamps and ratchet straps on the trail!.... Oh! And fuses, and oil, and a metal saw, wd40, air tools, tire repair kits, replacement hose, beer, extra coolant, spare driveshaft, flashlights, an axe, hex tools, zip ties, really big zip ties, a tarp, an extra tarp, gloves, rubber gloves, lube... 🤔 all the lube, thread tape, torque wrench, breaker par, deadblow hammer, backup socket set, trauma kit, more beer... and a towel... plus a few of the normal extras just in case!

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Judging by the wear on the head, it looks like something picked up off the roadway. If it is something from your Jeep, I'd say something plastic trim related. For example, one of the screws that may have previously been holding your front license plate mount on. Nothing structural. I've found a couple of random bits of hardware under the carpeting and whatnot. I don't think it's that out of the ordinary for an occasional screw to get dropped during assembly at the factory.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

100% that a hitchhiker

OP
OP
JeepAustinWeird

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Looks like it's license plate related.
I don't think its from the license plate...in the pic the black screw is what holds the license plate tray to the bumper.....l have all 4 of those screws underneath the red dealer plate. (Mystery screw next to it). The 2 top silver hex screws only hold the silver license frame to the plastic tray that installs onto the bumper..
Plus if a screw to hold this to the bumper did fall off it would have fallen to the outside of the bumper, not inside to wind up on inside of the skid plate.

Thanks Hound Dog for actually "identifying" the screw....thanks to others for their replies in trying to help really identify from where it may have come. I guess next time I can go by dealer I'll ask them. My biggest concern or worry is I want to make sure its not something that came loose from shifting in and out of 4H/4L/2H throughout my driving around yesterday.

Could it be from anything that the dealer would have done when they changed my oil and front and rear diff fluid about a month ago.....(Just shooting in the dark!!!)?? Maybe it was something buried in the snow that got "scooped" up the few times I had to back out of certain areas 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... License plate screw

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Where's Waldo?

There are no mechanical systems in your Jeep that use a panhead sheetmetal screw to attach. Nor are any essential systems going to fail from loss of one fastener. That type of screw is used for attaching license plates, interior panels and other decorative and splash type panels. I wouldn't get worried about it even if it originated from your vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepAustinWeird

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Where's Waldo?

There are no mechanical systems in your Jeep that use a panhead sheetmetal screw to attach. Nor are any essential systems going to fail from loss of one fastener. That type of screw is used for attaching license plates, interior panels and other decorative and splash type panels. I wouldn't get worried about it even if it originated from your vehicle.
Thank you.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Help Identify this Screw...

This looks like an ordinary "oval head" or "raised countersunk" philips head screw. It looks to be about a 3/4".

Hope that helps.
Many thanks, Captain Fastenal!
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... tumblr_inline_mvsue8BFEl1ru4c49540

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think its from the license plate...in the pic the black screw is what holds the license plate tray to the bumper.....l have all 4 of those screws underneath the red dealer plate. (Mystery screw next to it). The 2 top silver hex screws only hold the silver license frame to the plastic tray that installs onto the bumper..
Plus if a screw to hold this to the bumper did fall off it would have fallen to the outside of the bumper, not inside to wind up on inside of the skid plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... tumblr_inline_mvsue8BFEl1ru4c49540
I specifically asked my salesman to make sure the factory plastic plate bracket wasn't put on, because I didn't want the holes in the fairlead cover. Yours looks like it had one at one point, so I thought maybe one might have fallen back there during removal. I have been known to pile up hardware on the bumper, and often times have had to fish one out that had fallen back there.

I have to agree with roanie above, as I've never come across that specific type of hardware on the Jeep. It either popped in there from the road, or the dealers lot.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
I don't know what everyone else is talking about. That is clearly THE screw that holds the body of the Jeep to the frame...
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... tenor (1)

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Thank you.
I agree, this type of thread and especially the starting point along with the large diameter head would indicate that it is some trim screw or like may others have said, it`s a spare left over from your actual build. Check under the hood by the latch

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't know what everyone else is talking about. That is clearly THE screw that holds the body of the Jeep to the frame...
Jeep Wrangler JL Help Identify this Screw... tenor (1)

A.K.A. the JESUS! bolt.
Sponsored