Sponsored

New Steel Steering Box is worse

evilt1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU Sahara, soon to be 2021 JLU Willys
I have a '21 JLU Willys (built 12/2020) with 2000 miles on it. From day one it felt a little "skittish" on road and I feel like I'm constantly making little corrections with the steering wheel. The tires were at 39 psi when I brought it home and I've lowered them to 36. Door tag says 37 psi for the 255/75-17's. I traded in a '10 JKU with 138,000 miles that required less steering corrections than the '21. I wasn't sure if the MT's were possibly to blame (JKU had BFG AT/KO2's) or if it's the suspension/steering. I may have to take it in and have them check everything out.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have a '21 JLU Willys (built 12/2020) with 2000 miles on it. From day one it felt a little "skittish" on road and I feel like I'm constantly making little corrections with the steering wheel. The tires were at 39 psi when I brought it home and I've lowered them to 36. Door tag says 37 psi for the 255/75-17's. I traded in a '10 JKU with 138,000 miles that required less steering corrections than the '21. I wasn't sure if the MT's were possibly to blame (JKU had BFG AT/KO2's) or if it's the suspension/steering. I may have to take it in and have them check everything out.
Do you know if you have the aluminum or steel steering gear?

OP
OP
TJJL19

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I went to my dealer for the steel gear box, when I got my Jeep back, I looked and it was a aluminum gear box, that was put on by mistake.
I had to go back to the dealer again, when the steel box came in, the thing is ,that the new aluminum gear box was tighter then the steel box.,

OP
OP
TJJL19

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport

Sponsored

evilt1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU Sahara, soon to be 2021 JLU Willys
I looked yesterday and the steering box is black. I'm under the impression that means it's the newer steel version.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Same here, new box has at least 1-2” dead spot. I have new track bar as well and even confirmed with second visit software was flashed to new code. Has anyone tried adjusting the lash on the new steel box?
I adjusted a little less than an 1/8 of a turn with positive results. The new box was definitely better than the original but still had some slack. I marked it with a paint pen before adjusting just in case I needed to put it back to where it was. I won’t be putting it back.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I looked yesterday and the steering box is black. I'm under the impression that means it's the newer steel version.
Yes, black color normally means the steel steering gear. I'm running 33 psi as another point of reference. Do a search for any steering related TSBs open for your model year. In my case, my 2018 took 4 different TSBs and mopar lift LCAs (installed on my own for increased caster) to resolve my steering problems.

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I adjusted a little less than an 1/8 of a turn with positive results. The new box was definitely better than the original but still had some slack. I marked it with a paint pen before adjusting just in case I needed to put it back to where it was. I won’t be putting it back.
Good to know. Any issue loosening the bolt and Allen head without heat? Just curious if it was relatively simple to do. I’ve watched videos on how to do the aluminum and was curious how it went for you with the steel.

Sponsored

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Good to know. Any issue loosening the bolt and Allen head without heat? Just curious if it was relatively simple to do. I’ve watched videos on how to do the aluminum and was curious how it went for you with the steel.
No heat was needed but it was very tight (so heat may have helped). FYI, the torque spec for the nut is 45 ft/lbs.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I had the new steel steering box installed on my 2019 JLU. I thought it was starting to feel looser, in the steering, that was confirmed when my wife drove my Jeep.
She said it was all over the road, I don't know if something could have come loose?
Could the new steering box be defective?
Like mentioned earlier, be sure to confirm the torque on all bolts.
My Steering box bolts were only about 40ft lbs and the spec is 44 ftlbs PLUS 135 degrees, this is approx 95 ft lbs. There's been several that have had this happen, seems like they may just be applying the 44 without the further 135 degree turn :(

My I-shaft bolt also wasn't torqued down (spec is 40 ft lbs there), and I'm almost certain that bolt was reused, which is ALWAYS supposed to be replaced w/ a new bolt any time it's removed. Also check your steering reservoir it could be low after air being bled-out. FWIW they also left the cap off my steering reservoir, found it laying in the engine bay when I got home to confirm everything :headbang:

Mine has been perfect for about 6k miles since I corrected all the above mishaps.

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Like mentioned earlier, be sure to confirm the torque on all bolts.
My Steering box bolts were only about 40ft lbs and the spec is 44 ftlbs PLUS 135 degrees, this is approx 95 ft lbs. There's been several that have had this happen, seems like they may just be applying the 44 without the further 135 degree turn :(

My I-shaft bolt also wasn't torqued down (spec is 40 ft lbs there), and I'm almost certain that bolt was reused, which is ALWAYS supposed to be replaced w/ a new bolt any time it's removed. Also check your steering reservoir it could be low after air being bled-out. FWIW they also left the cap off my steering reservoir, found it laying in the engine bay when I got home to confirm everything :headbang:

Mine has been perfect for about 6k miles since I corrected all the above mishaps.
Thanks for the tips. Is the I shaft bolt close to the box under a rubber cover? I believe I need to cut the wheel to one side to have it facing up in the engine bay

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks for the tips. Is the I shaft bolt close to the box under a rubber cover? I believe I need to cut the wheel to one side to have it facing up in the engine bay
Yes, it's the one at the end of the steering wheel shaft close to the box. I had to use some long socket extensions (w/ wobble end) with that bolt facing up to verify torque.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had the new steel steering box installed on my 2019 JLU. I thought it was starting to feel looser, in the steering, that was confirmed when my wife drove my Jeep.
She said it was all over the road, I don't know if something could have come loose?
Could the new steering box be defective?
Sorry for the delayed response here, TJJL19. Are you still experiencing concerns? If so, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored