Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Hey everyone

Over the past couple weeks the brakes (believe rear) on my Rubicon unlimited have started to squeak/screech as I come to a stop. The weather may be a factor as average temps here in northeast Indiana have dropped considerably over this same time window. I currently have 8,300 miles driven. Last weekend I performed a 5-tire rotation and did not see any visible clues when looking at the pads and rotors in this area. Just wondering what might be causing the high-pitched braking noise and if there are any solutions. A lot of my research has shown aerosol can sprays you can try applying to the rotors however I agree that adding a lubricating chemical to an area whose effectiveness relies on friction doesn't sound like a great quick fix.

Appreciate your thoughts/suggestions
Sponsored

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
I don't have a solution but my rears are doing the same thing now that it is cold out.

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I would do a 4 wheel brake service. Lubricate pad holder, sliders, caliper pins with brake lubricant (anti-seize) and sand the rotors down a bit. That should do it.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Italian tune-up your brakes. Modern pad material can build up residue on the rotors. Hitting your brakes hard from 40mph or so a few times might clear it up.

Sponsored

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone

Over the past couple weeks the brakes (believe rear) on my Rubicon unlimited have started to squeak/screech as I come to a stop. The weather may be a factor as average temps here in northeast Indiana have dropped considerably over this same time window. I currently have 8,300 miles driven. Last weekend I performed a 5-tire rotation and did not see any visible clues when looking at the pads and rotors in this area. Just wondering what might be causing the high-pitched braking noise and if there are any solutions. A lot of my research has shown aerosol can sprays you can try applying to the rotors however I agree that adding a lubricating chemical to an area whose effectiveness relies on friction doesn't sound like a great quick fix.

Appreciate your thoughts/suggestions
Hey, same here! It's so annoying, you figure out what it was?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, same here! It's so annoying, you figure out what it was?
I had squealing brakes on my 2018 within the first 8k miles. I lubricated the disc brake sliders, pins, and back of the pads (where they contact the piston) and they stayed quiet for another 22k miles. Basically, you want to lubricate anyplace the pads are expected to slide/move and contact the caliper. I use a dedicated disc brake lubricant (Sil Glyde) and have for years without issue. Never heard of using Anti-Seize on brakes, I would stick with the grease meant for brake systems.

I have since went with the PowerStop Z36 brake pads and rotors, lubricating the same spots. These have also been quiet over the last 4k miles.
Sponsored