nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
Updated with software flash fix timing, per @JeepCares [link to posts]
Long shot, but any ballpark idea of how much of delay this will cause in new orders? I was quoted 4-6 week prior to any recall FYI.​
The flash is expected in March, but I don't have any specifics.​
I saw another post of yours, starting at a certain point new vehicle builds are being held at the factory and will be flashed prior to arriving at the dealer.​
Kaitlin​
Jeep Cares​
Thanks Kaitlin. So you are saying my manual which was built 10 days ago will likely sit until some (not determined) date in March before itā€™s shipped? I thought this clutch issue only impacted units built before mid-January?​
Yes it will be delayed. The flash is expected in March. The recall affects all manuals built until the flash is available.​
Kaitlin​
Jeep Cares​
I'm expecting my new 6 speed 2 door Rubicon to be shipped on Feb 18th (friday). Dealer told me everything is on track. Should I expect it not to show up? I read through the posts and it sure seems that way. I'm confused, depressed​
Hi, yes it will be delayed. The flash isn't available yet and the dealer can't deliver it with an open recall.​
Kaitlin​
Jeep Cares​

Origina post:

I just received a call from my dealer who told me they have a stop order on all sales of manual transmissions to fix that clutch recall mentioned from a few days ago.

I was flying into DC tomorrow to pick up said Jeep, but no longer. This is terrible, and obviously no ones fault other than Jeep.

Any advice for me going forward? I donā€™t want to blame anyone, but this leaves such a salty taste in my mouth.

In case anyone was wondering Iā€™m purchasing through Koons, Vienna VA.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
It sucks, but you just need to decide if the additional wait is worth it. I ordered mine 12/18, and the wait has been hard, but what is another month when I've been waiting 15 years to buy a Wrangler.

It sucks now, but I know it'll be 100% worth it when it finally arrives!

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
It sucks, but you just need to decide if the additional wait is worth it. I ordered mine 12/18, and the wait has been hard, but what is another month when I've been waiting 15 years to buy a Wrangler.

It sucks now, but I know it'll be 100% worth it when it finally arrives!
The killer is I wanted to pick it up last weekend, and my wife wanted to wait for her BDAY...surprise honey hereā€™s your birthday gift...no Jeep šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Crap. I was planning to place my order on Monday. Honestly may go automatic at this point. Assuming no ETA on when this would resolve?

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Well, what would you have them do instead? Let you pick it up and deal with the issue later?

That wouldn't be a good course of action. I know it sucks but at the end of the day it will be better to have it fixed before you get it, IMHO.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
Well, what would you have them do instead? Let you pick it up and deal with the issue later?

That wouldn't be a good course of action. I know it sucks but at the end of the day it will be better to have it fixed before you get it, IMHO.
Well if I picked it up last week, thatā€™s exactly would have happened. No one to blame, but you yourself know the excitement of picking up a new car, and having that excitement squashed immediately...

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Well if I picked it up last week, thatā€™s exactly would have happened. No one to blame, but you yourself know the excitement of picking up a new car, and having that excitement squashed immediately...
I certainly do! It sucks....even the waiting for the final paper and detail sucks as far as I am concerned.

While it sucks I think you didn't want to waste time chasing down a TSB or taking the rig to the dealer and not have use of the Jeep.

Good luck.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Crap. I was planning to place my order on Monday. Honestly may go automatic at this point. Assuming no ETA on when this would resolve?
It is a software flash. We don't have a firm ETA, but official notification to consumers and dealers will be on March 19th 2021. I think there is a good chance the fix will be available then.

Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I just received a call from my dealer who told me they have a stop order on all sales of manual transmissions to fix that clutch recall mentioned from a few days ago.

I was flying into DC tomorrow to pick up said Jeep, but no longer. This is terrible, and obviously no ones fault other than Jeep.

Any advice for me going forward? I donā€™t want to blame anyone, but this leaves such a salty taste in my mouth.

In case anyone was wondering Iā€™m purchasing through Koons, Vienna VA.
Crap...I am so sorry. I ordered a Sport manual on 1/26 from Koons as well. On Tues, my sales guy said that it's in the building phase (Jeep chat tells me it has received parts and waiting to start production) and didn't mention any recall delays.

This is so frustrating that Jeep can't master a manual transmission in model year 3. Hopefully it will be a quick fix for you. BTW, traffic stinks from DC down 95 for the first 40 miles, so be patient - a lot of construction and just a lot of cars.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
It is a software flash. We don't have a firm ETA, but official notification to consumers and dealers will be on March 19th 2021. I think there is a good chance the fix will be available then.
Criswell told me he is still putting in manual orders. Wondering if they'll at least begin the build, then hopefully by that date can just update with the flash before I can pick up.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Criswell told me he is still putting in manual orders. Wondering if they'll at least begin the build, then hopefully by that date can just update with the flash before I can pick up.
That's what I'm hoping --- it seems like that would work.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Yep I'd find it surprising that Jeep would totally stop all orders and not even begin building any manual wranglers for a software fixable recall.
Paul,

Very seldom are stop ship orders ever performed on software issues, not impossible but very rare. This is likely due to something way more serious. My hunch (but just a pessimistic guess) is that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has likely uncovered something even deeper involving FCA's Manual Transmission design or implementation, possibly stemming from all the clutch related vehicle fires.

Stop-ship orders are not trivial. Depending on their nature, Executive VPs and even CEOs will likely get fired over them.

I wouldn't count on a software fix in this case.

But, take my input with a grain of salt. I really don't know any of the underlying details. But I have read many of the clutch recall stories. It's totally up to you to put two and two together.

I know nothing and can most likely certainly prove it...

Jay
Sponsored