First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Here's what confuses me. Following this forum makes me feel guilty that I don't do EVERYTHING on my Jeep myself. Hell...there are people on here who regear their own Jeeps. Given that "peer pressure", how is it that members don't change their own oil? It's not a I-don't-have-time issue because I can't drive to my dealer in the time it takes me to change it myself.

Peripheral benefit: you don't have to fight with the dealer over Rotella T-6.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Here's what confuses me. Following this forum makes me feel guilty that I don't do EVERYTHING on my Jeep myself. Hell...there are people on here who regear their own Jeeps. Given that "peer pressure", how is it that members don't change their own oil? It's not a I-don't-have-time issue because I can't drive to my dealer in the time it takes me to change it myself.

Peripheral benefit: you don't have to fight with the dealer over Rotella T-6.

Personally, I'm a tightwad and still have three more free oil changes on the Wave.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Two more "free" oil changes and I'm done. I rotate my own tires already.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
If I was lucky and personally knew the guy that was working on my Jeep, I'd have no real issue letting the dealer save me some $$$. However my peace of mind is worth the extra.....what, maybe $260 in oil and filters to do it myself.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was lucky and personally knew the guy that was working on my Jeep, I'd have no real issue letting the dealer save me some $$$. However my peace of mind is worth the extra.....what, maybe $260 in oil and filters to do it myself.
Yea, if it was just Rotella and metal screw on filter I would never take it to the dealer but for the price I'm gonna let them finish what they promised.

CapnKing

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 3.0 diesel
I just spoke to Amsoil asking the same question--the product engineer swears that this meets both MS-12991 and API SN
Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 1612988241736

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just spoke to Amsoil asking the same question--the product engineer swears that this meets both MS-12991 and API SN
1612988241736.png
Run it.

In reality I'm sure it would meet the qualifications. But I wouldn't want to be the first unlucky guy trying to get them to warranty an engine after using that particular oil. I've read somewhere that AMSOIL will go to bat for you with the car manufacturer, and if that fails, they will take care of it themselves. But again being the first in that situation with a 3.0 Wrangler doesn't sound like a ton of fun. I'm looking at this with the understanding that they do not usually (or perhaps always is the better word?) pay for all of the certifications and testing that would let them stamp API__ on the bottle.

Now having said ^^^ that, I'm running 5w40 Mobil Delvac 1 ESP in my wife's 3.0L. And as far as I know FCA does not recommend this oil for the ecodiesel. But it is a heavy duty diesel oil that is formulated to be 'safe' for diesel particulate filters and it meets or exceeds the requirements of API SN.

After I am out of warranty I could possibly talk myself into trying to hit longer drain intervals and bypass filtration. I do trust AMSOIL products, and may utilize them to get to those longer drain intervals. But for now I'm sticking with the Delvac. I bought a bunch and it will probably get me through the first 6 oil changes @ about $70 an oil change IIRC (including the over priced proprietary filter).

So yeah, I understand not being afraid to take a different route than the pack. Run it and see what's what.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a bypass filtration system picked out? I'd love something "plug and play".

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a bypass filtration system picked out? I'd love something "plug and play".
I do not. I don't believe there is anything out there for ecodiesels. And if there is something, there is some debate as to whether or not they cause more harm than good.

As I recall there is concern that there isn't enough (extra) flow designed into the oiling system. People are concerned that different components could be starved for oil.

There is a decent thread somewhere on one of these forums having to do with the 3.0L ecodiesel, where a guy did a little testing and put together his own system. Not much to them really, but the key or trick is two fold. You have to know where you can tap in, and it has to be 'safe' to do so.

I was pretty gung-ho on the bypass filtration idea until I started searching around for info. pertaining to the 3.0L. After going down that rabbit hole I eventually shelved the idea to be visited at a much later date.

If you go read about bypass oil filtration on BITOG (bob is the oil guy forum), you will find that often times there is hardly any benefit to adding it to an engine, unless you plan to really ramp up the drain intervals. You want to think that no matter what bypass oil filtration is better, but it's really not. There are some engines that just flat out don't need it. Overkill is almost always a good thing, but often when it comes to bypass oil filtration, it is just pissing money away for no reason. I would love to see a kit for these, but I would not be surprised go find that you gain next to nothing in engine longevity if one were to be utilized. It could obviously go the other way as well.

Go search around and then come back and tell me what you think. I wouldn't mind trying to nerd out and fake like I know what I'm talking about on this subject :movember:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Om4r

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S EcoDiesel
Just took my JL to dealership for it's first oil change at 3k miles. They used T6. I'm guessing this is rotella cause they only put T6 on the sticker on the windshield. I haven't been able to find anywhere if rotella is an approved oil for the EcoDiesel. But since the dealership did it I'd figure it's on them should anything go wrong. I have noticed the engine being a little quieter now. This is my first diesel so no idea if this is good or bad.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
Finally had my first service and oil change done. I knew that I might have to go to bat regarding the correct oil so I told the service tech that my Jeep takes different oil than the gen 2 diesels and he said yeah he knew.

Fast forward and I check the parts list when picking the Jeep up and they had the wrong part numbers listed. Thank you to this forum I was able to point out the error and provide them with the correct part number for the correct oil. They told me they did it right. I told them to check with the parts manager and make sure because I was certain it was wrong. They did and they realized that they had messed up.

The service writer said that the system automatically told them to put the Rotella into the Jeep and claimed that they just followed the specs given by the service through running the Jeep's VIN. Meybe they're telling me the truth, I don't know.

It took about another hour and a half but they changed out the oil, supposedly. So thank you guys for the dialogue and making sure that my oil change was done correctly.

I highly recommend that you guys tell your dealers to place the empty bottles of oil, parts packaging, and old parts into the trunk of your Jeep. That way you can be certain of what product they're using. I didn't do it this time but I'm definitely going to do it from now on just to make sure that they do what they say they do.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
@Om4r

As previously stated in this thread Rotella and t6 ( the same thing) are not approved for the Gen 3 diesels.

Take your s*** back and get it fixed.And point your finger right in their face telling them that they messed up.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Finally had my first service and oil change done. I knew that I might have to go to bat regarding the correct oil so I told the service tech that my Jeep takes different oil than the gen 2 diesels and he said yeah he knew.

Fast forward and I check the parts list when picking the Jeep up and they had the wrong part numbers listed. Thank you to this forum I was able to point out the error and provide them with the correct part number for the correct oil. They told me they did it right. I told them to check with the parts manager and make sure because I was certain it was wrong. They did and they realized that they had messed up.

The service writer said that the system automatically told them to put the Rotella into the Jeep and claimed that they just followed the specs given by the service through running the Jeep's VIN. Meybe they're telling me the truth, I don't know.

It took about another hour and a half but they changed out the oil, supposedly. So thank you guys for the dialogue and making sure that my oil change was done correctly.

I highly recommend that you guys tell your dealers to place the empty bottles of oil, parts packaging, and old parts into the trunk of your Jeep. That way you can be certain of what product they're using. I didn't do it this time but I'm definitely going to do it from now on just to make sure that they do what they say they do.
This is exactly why I change my own oil: it avoids any silliness, is easy, and I enjoy it. It costs a little under $100, and for me that's money well-spent.

I've mentioned in the past that I once found a half-eaten burrito seeping into the perforated leather back seat on my one month old GC. [so much for that new-car smell]. That soured my opinion of taking the Jeep to the dealer for something I can do myself. It also soured me on bean burritos.

Om4r

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S EcoDiesel
@Om4r

As previously stated in this thread Rotella and t6 ( the same thing) are not approved for the Gen 3 diesels.

Take your s*** back and get it fixed.And point your finger right in their face telling them that they messed up.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to call them up and see what' s going on. They should have know this.
Sponsored