Sponsored

Should I build a Wrangler or hold out for the right used JL? Should I even BUY a Wrangler?

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Your challenge is going to be finding a JL for $36,000...new or used.
It can be done with a minimum of bells and whistles new, since I'm happy with a 2 door manual. I just hate to have a car payment in these uncertain times.

PS - at least two members on here who have had never-ending electrical problems with their JLs: I noticed the common thread is that they bought theirs as a CPO.

My guess is FCA is recycling buy-backs as CPOs. So beware.
Oof, and here I was thinking that was some sort of protection against winding up with a lemon. Good to know, though.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It can be done with a minimum of bells and whistles new, since I'm happy with a 2 door manual. I just hate to have a car payment in these uncertain times.

Oof, and here I was thinking that was some sort of protection against winding up with a lemon. Good to know, though.
My understanding is that the law allows buy-backs to be re-marketed.

CPOs come with very generous warranty to provide peace of mind. But as those members show, a generous warranty means nothing if you have to keep bringing your CPO into the dealership multiple times, and in the end nothing ever gets fixed.

One of them got the dealer to agree to get him out of the CPO and into a new Wrangler.

Deleted member 53226

"Should I build a Wrangler or hold out for the right used JL? Should I even BUY a Wrangler?"

I have spent a good deal of time and thought into your conundrum. Here goes:

I say maybe build a Wrangler, or just hold out and buy a used Wrangler, maybe even a JL. Or just a Wrangler.

But then you might change your mind and buy the Wrangler you built, and not the used one you held out for. That could work out well. Or not.

Possibly you might not even consider a used Wrangler, and just build a Wrangler but then later decide not to buy that one at all. But I am not sure I would recommend that. But then again, you could just buy it. Or maybe not buy it and get the used Wrangler you didn't consider instead.

You might consider building a used Wrangler, if that is even possible, and you can always then decide to buy that one. Or not.

Or maybe buy a new Wrangler from a used Jeep dealer. I guess you could always buy a used Wrangler from a new Jeep dealer. Now, whether that's a JL or just a Wrangler depends on the dealer.

I am just not too sure, maybe you shouldn't even buy a Wrangler. But then again maybe you should. Anyway, good luck with your choices!

I'll next do the same analysis on your choices for the various options you listed, such as LED's etc. That may take me a couple weeks . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Not sure you will get a much better deal on a used JL vs new. I just checked KBB and the estimated private party sale value of my 2018 Sahara was the same as the total price I paid for it new. Rather than spending time building configurations in silico on the website, spend your time observing the inventory of dealers on your radar over a few months. You may find there is a vehicle on a lot that other buyers are avoiding but appeals to your personal style and would serve as a good foundation for your post-purchase mods.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
I'd echo everyone else's sentiment, unless you're going for a TJ or something, I doubt you're going to find a used jeep much cheaper than just buying new, and you can usually get a pretty good deal from dealerships when building, and you also ensure you get EXACTLY what you want with no compromise, which was important to me.

Most the issues *I've seen* people are having are electrical gremlins, which if you get a more base model you're avoiding a lot of that stuff long term.

I love my manual, just so fun to drive, makes even errands a good time. Sure there have been a few recalls (like any vehicle gets) but major issues seem very rare, and it's not costing me any money..

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
JL’s most common failures appear to be related to the auxiliary battery, its charging system, its wiring harness —and fuse boxes coming out of the factory unproperly seated.

Unfortunately, these components exist for ESS to work and are imbedded into the vehicle regardless of whether it has crank windows or manual transmission.

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paying cash for a vehicle is just a flat out bad decision. Take that money and invest it, make the payments, and you’ll come out ahead of the bank loan.
That's a good point. I've always thought of a car payment as a bad investment, but with incentives and current low rates maybe not so much these days.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
A little about my situation: This will be my only vehicle. My credit is good but I plan to pay cash in full.

a color my wife and I both like (Sarge green is my favorite, hers is Snazberry, ocean blue metallic is #2 for both of us)

In a perfect world I'd want steel bumpers, but they only seem to be available on the Rubicon which is out of my budget (new anyway). Thanks for reading all of this and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
I went back and forth for almost a year, but finally ordered a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on Jan. 30th.

First of all, I have always been told that you'll get a better price if you don't mention you plan to pay cash until you actually close the sale. There is 0% for 36 months available, but on past new vehicle purchases I have found it almost impossible to qualify for 0% offers (my credit score is 829).

As far as color, I personally like all three you listed (I'm getting Sarge Green). However, for "peace in the family" I would suggest both of your #2 choice, since you both agree on that.

Where I live in Northwest Arkansas, I am always seeing ads for steel bumpers that Jeep owners have removed from their Rubicons to put on something they like more. I have seen as low as $500 for front and rear bumpers and as much as $1200 for the pair. My neighbor has wanted Jeep steel bumpers for his Jeep for quite some time, but he says when he sees an ad for them and calls seller, that the bumpers are always "already sold". You may have to act fast if you find some for sale.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went back and forth for almost a year, but finally ordered a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on Jan. 30th.
Congrats, that's going to be a beauty! I'm considering going Rubicon myself now that I'm considering financing a portion of it. Only way to get steel bumpers out of the gate (which blows my mind) and I'd rather leave things as stock as possible.
First of all, I have always been told that you'll get a better price if you don't mention you plan to pay cash until you actually close the sale. There is 0% for 36 months available, but on past new vehicle purchases I have found it almost impossible to qualify for 0% offers (my credit score is 829).
I've already tipped my hand with my local dealer, but am skeptical he can match Travis from here on the forums anyway. Though Travis is probably reading this, LOL!
As far as color, I personally like all three you listed (I'm getting Sarge Green). However, for "peace in the family" I would suggest both of your #2 choice, since you both agree on that.
Oddly, Ocean Blue metallic isn't offered on 2021. I see them all the time, so I can't imagine it was that poor of a seller, but looking like it will be Sarge green, which is my favorite and she likes pretty well.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
That's a good point. I've always thought of a car payment as a bad investment, but with incentives and current low rates maybe not so much these days.
Rates are amazing these days and you can always put down 10-15% of the purchase price and you will never be "under" on the loan. If a rainy day comes you will have no problem selling it and know you will not have to take any money out of pocket to cover the amount due. And if you were to get really in a bind financially, these days you can sell basically immediately thanks to Vroom and Carvana who offer very competitive prices.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
@Blue Ridge, first let me say you are taking the same path I did. I joined this forum exactly 362 days before I picked up my 2019 JLUR from the dealer in Idaho that I ordered. I used the Wrangler Deals website to find dealers near me (relatively) to find a great deal. My local dealer would only go to invoice even when showing them the offer from Peterson Jeep at 8% below invoice. They couldn't understand why a person would consider saving $8000 instead of buying from them. The vehicle purchase was the best I have ever experienced and I have heard similar sentiments from other forum members using a multitude of dealers on that website.

I ordered because finding the exact options I wanted from a dealer was impossible. I also went with the manual and almost all the same options as you, but I did get the dual top options, tow package (awesome), infotainment package (8.4" radio and alpine speakers) and an engine block heater since I live in Southern Arizona, but plan to drive to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska in the next two years. I have had 40,000 trouble free miles in the first 18-months of ownership and it is the most fun and enjoyable vehicle I have owned to date.

Good luck in your decision and if it helps my wife's favorite color is Snazzberry too, but my daughter who survived leukemia got to pick the Jeep color and I love her choice of HellaYella.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Congrats, that's going to be a beauty! I'm considering going Rubicon myself now that I'm considering financing a portion of it. Only way to get steel bumpers out of the gate (which blows my mind) and I'd rather leave things as stock as possible.

I've already tipped my hand with my local dealer, but am skeptical he can match Travis from here on the forums anyway. Though Travis is probably reading this, LOL!

Oddly, Ocean Blue metallic isn't offered on 2021. I see them all the time, so I can't imagine it was that poor of a seller, but looking like it will be Sarge green, which is my favorite and she likes pretty well.
I went with a Rubicon and outside of adding some skid plates it is completely stock. It is crazy just how easily these vehicles tackle terrain that other vehicles would dribble oil from their pan when they saw it. Don't feel beholden to any dealer. It is your money and they have to earn your business. I drove 1500 miles home from Idaho to Arizona and my wife and my two daughters had a blast. Spent the night by Area 51 and they got to see the Las Vegas strip during the daylight (the pig without its lipstick) and drove through 4 states; Idaho, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. Sarge Green is a great looking color.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Most the issues people are having are electrical gremlins, which if you get a more base model you're avoiding a lot of that stuff long term.
Where are you getting your data from?
Sponsored