First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I love my lights. I do not get any flashes. Maybe some lights are not adjusted as they should be. I’ve noticed the lights on European vehicles have a sharper more defined cut off at a further distance which is also nice. A lot of drivers see a headlight that’s bright and zero in on it instead of the roadway ahead. That said, it’s easy to check the adjustment. I do that on my vehicles after purchase. Also if your vehicle is loaded it can throw your aim off. So do vehicles that have lifts and the headlights have not been adjusted. A little pm goes a long way. Just some food for thought.

DirtyCreeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2021 JLU Rubicon
I think lights are just getting brighter. When we first moved to our house about 3 years ago, I commented one day that the people around here seem to keep their brights on all the time (it is a rural, aka darker, area). But my wife said she hadn't noticed it. So we started looking and noticed that it seemed to be mostly the larger SUV's that I was noticing. Well, my daily driver is a Ford Fusion and my wife's is an Edge. That seemed to be the difference. I sit way lower than she does.

But I've also been flashed in my car for driving with my fog lights on.

Also, the Ford Super Duty factory is nearby, so there's a lot of them around. They seem really bright, but they also sit up way higher than most vehicles.

And you can argue that the other people's lights just aren't adjusted properly, but unless they angle them straight down and far to the right, eventually, an oncoming driver will be within their beams. The only difference will be the distance at which that happens.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Every time a headlight thread gets started, there is the inevitable "idiots putting LED bulbs in a housing not designed for them" gets trotted out. Properly designed LED replacement bulbs have the high/low diodes in the same place as the filaments in standard bulbs (see pics). Hence the light is cast at the same reflectors and creates the same pattern. There is no "scattered light" unless somehow LED generated light travels in different planes than filament generated light.
It has been well documented that Jeep headlights are slightly high from the factory and installing brighter LEDs exacerbates this. Whether LED or halogen, properly adjust your headlights and the oncoming "flashes" will stop.

Jeep Wrangler JL I must be getting old... 81Exus5BOEL._AC_SY355_
Jeep Wrangler JL I must be getting old... up-01011_1

Sponsored

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Every time a headlight thread gets started, there is the inevitable "idiots putting LED bulbs in a housing not designed for them" gets trotted out. Properly designed LED replacement bulbs have the high/low diodes in the same place as the filaments in standard bulbs (see pics). Hence the light is cast at the same reflectors and creates the same pattern. There is no "scattered light" unless somehow LED generated light travels in different planes than filament generated light.
It has been well documented that Jeep headlights are slightly high from the factory and installing brighter LEDs exacerbates this. Whether LED or halogen, properly adjust your headlights and the oncoming "flashes" will stop.
Good information to know. But how many people are getting the bolded you mention, that do the swap?

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
I have various cars with incandescent, halogen (bright whites), Xenon and now LED headlights. When driving the incandescent and even the upgraded halogen bulb cars I am amazed at how poor light these project compared to my Xenon daily driver. As LED and Xenon bulb headlights are offered in more cars, this does make for a blinding experience especially when passing close by on a two lane road. I do miss the $5 and $15 replacement bulb prices for incandescent and halogen bulbs respectively, vs. the $200+ Xenon bulb replacement. I suspect LED's will require a "module" or the whole light assembly replaced at some ridiculous $XXX. Now that I am adjusted to the improved visibility of these lights, no way would I buy a new car without them including the JL so I pay the premium.

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Same topic but a little off key, I have had all LED bulbs on my two Jeeps, 2010 KK and 2016 JKU, including headlights, fog lights, turn signals. When I turn the lights (LED) on with the Wrangler, I get static from the radio. But when I turn the lights (LED) on the Liberty the radio is fine. My brother believes its due to the newer radio and electronics of the Wrangler that causes some sort of interference, where as the older radio of the Liberty is fine. Has anyone else experienced the static? And thoughts on why that happens?

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Good information to know. But how many people are getting the bolded you mention, that do the swap?
Good point. Probably more focused on getting the higher temperature bulbs, because if 6500K is good then 10,000K is better...right?

Sponsored

Rubifan

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
It seems that every other vehicle I pass at night has their bright lights on. If they're not coming towards me, they are behind me blinding me. It drives me nuts!!
I can flick my headlights for oncoming, but what do you do for those behind you? Any aux switches to flick some rear LEDs?
I have these in my rear bumper, very bright, I have them wired to Aux4. I flick them on and off, they’ve been totally effective in getting those behind me to dim their brights.

F4FA9E80-3186-4C82-B539-E80A81B9B60E.jpeg

F28308D7-1A82-45D3-B51C-1E0FB7B8C12A.jpeg

B32CF7CA-41FD-4C94-9F7F-8949D485227E.jpeg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
If they ride back there a long time and are riding close... I’ll point my sideview mirrors back at them. Always works for me. If it didn’t occur to them before.... they get it after that.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic

81Exus5BOEL._AC_SY355_.jpg
up-01011_1.jpg
I replaced the birthday cake candles that were in the headlight housing of my Jeep. I used very bright Amazon specials. Marked the garage door with tape before starting to show where the candles flickerd a dim glow and tweaked the new bulbs to match. No issues. Lights up great, especially on high.

It's not like LED light defies physics and magically bends in different ways than incandescent light. Just use sense and adjust them properly.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I remember few years back driving one evening through downtown Casper Wy and I don't think anybody in that town turned on their headlights. I have to say I found it almost comical but then again the traffic flow wasn't as heavy as Toronto.
Sponsored