Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - part of the reason we have gas stations is because of how gasoline is distributed: it comes from the refinery in trucks and stored in underground tanks.

Electricity is more like streaming movies: it comes directly from the power plant without the need for storage. So much of the reason for the gas station to even exist goes away.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I never partially fill my tank. If Iā€™m going to fill, Iā€™m going to top it off. I donā€™t want to have to stop again tomorrow.

Not that charging 75 miles at a time is the end of the world, but it would definitely require a change in behavior.

But again, I donā€™t see the gas stations adding a lane that is likely going to get clogged with cars charging for 30 minutes. They want those vehicles in-and-out quickly. Thatā€™s how they make their money.
Would you change your behavior if you could fill up at home for less money, and your home was only 50 miles away?

I don't see this working like a pump lane... it would be more like the air/water filling parking stall.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Would you change your behavior if you could fill up at home for less money, and your home was only 50 miles away?

I don't see this working like a pump lane... it would be more like the air/water filling parking stall.
Yes. I think gas stations are going to eventually become the next Blockbuster Video or Game Stop.

The only ones continuing to stop there will need a walker... :LOL:

Deleted member 53226

Yea, EVs will take off only when the charging infrastructure is well in place. Tesla is the only thing close to having a reliable charging network right now. The third-party stuff that everyone else has to use seems extremely unreliable and somewhat sparse in certain parts of the country. I can't remember the last time I pulled up to a gas pump and the thing just didn't work, though that seems to be the case with a lot of these 3rd-party charging stations.

I'm sure people said the same kind of stuff about putting gas stations all over the country, too, so I have to be open-minded. Still, it's gonna take time.

Anyway, the 2-door concept looks awesome!
The really fun part will be when every vehicle manufacturer uses a different type of charging port/connector, or the new model of one brand used a plug that only fits that model. Just like our phones. Won't that be fun!

Just imagine the hijinx we are all in for. Got your Ford EV but could only find the Tesla charge station before that sucker died on you. Wait, it's a different plug, and it won't work! Or maybe you have last year's Tesla and they changed the plug. What now?

I doubt Tesla wants a bunch of Ford and Chevy's "gassing up" at their station. That's not good for business. If Tesla builds out the system, they'll make darn sure you buy that Tesla if you want to use it. [I say Tesla, but in reality its a poorly managed company that will be be run out of business soon enough by the biggies, who will eventually build EV's better, cheaper, and faster]

Think the govt will step in make it all uniform just like for gas? Think again. These new EV's are viewed like tech, not cars (why I don't know). I'll bet the electrical/software end of these things in most ways get regulated like phones and ipads, which is barely or not at all. That's why your Apple iphone charger won't work on your Android phone, and your Apple 4 charger won't fit into your Apple 10. Nobody cares about uniformity and everybody wants to marry us to their brand, and new model upgrades.

Thank God for the used car market and the time it takes to phase things out. That means I'll be dead before everybody has an EV with no exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I never partially fill my tank. If Iā€™m going to fill, Iā€™m going to top it off. I donā€™t want to have to stop again tomorrow.

Not that charging 75 miles at a time is the end of the world, but it would definitely require a change in behavior.

But again, I donā€™t see the gas stations adding a lane that is likely going to get clogged with cars charging for 30 minutes. They want those vehicles in-and-out quickly. Thatā€™s how they make their money.
Well that's pretty much what my cousin does with her Tesla. If she's driving it from her house across the state to here for a visit she hits a charging station along the way, does a partial charge and then finishes the trip. She'll then complete the charge at home/her destination overnight.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I doubt Tesla wants a bunch of Ford and Chevy's "gassing up" at their station. That's not good for business. If Tesla builds out the system, they'll make darn sure you buy that Tesla if you want to use it.
Yea, most likely. Or maybe they could take the ATM approach and allow their stations to be used by everyone, but you'd have to pay a fairly hefty premium to use it if you're driving some other brand's car. About to run out of charge and you're still far away from home? Only a Tesla station within range? Sure, you can use it: For triple the cost. Mwahahahaa

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Well considering the 392 will probably average 12mpg on a good day that gives it a 240 mile range. Making an electric Jeep go that far isn't a stretch, but doubt if crawling on a trail will give you that much range.
The trail wonā€™t be a problem at all...itā€™s highway driving that destroys range.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I love the EV concept but I think the elephant in the room that is being ignored by those pushing massive electrification is the grid and capacity limitations. California already has rolling brownouts but environmental regulations make it a 15 year process to bring a new power plant online. How the heck can this country convert even 25% of personal transportation to electric. Big disconnect.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep gets 9 MPG on the trail. I doubt it will do wonders to an EVā€™s range.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, there's no way FCA built an EV powertrain simply to show us a ā€œconceptā€ at the Moab Easter Safari. Not after it took four years to redesign a steering box.

A JL with 40-inch tires in bright yellow is a ā€œconcept.ā€ For all intents and purposes, this is at least a pre-production prototype.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

But EVs work differently. You just need a little range until you can get to home or work where you can charge for longer periods of time. Most people with EVs rarely use public charging. They charge at home or work. Thatā€™s the behavior change.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
But EVs work differently. You just need a little range until you can get to home or work where you can charge for longer periods of time. Most people with EVs rarely use public charging. They charge at home or work. Thatā€™s the behavior change.
Great point. The main behavioral change is in when and where EVs get recharged.

I hear from EV owners that the one thing they donā€™t miss is having to pull into a gas station.

One more indication that gas stationsā€™ days are numbered.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

With 4 motors we will not need diffs saving weight and cost.

We will still need the equivalent of locking the diffs.
I'm not convinced 4 motors will weigh less than the drive train and transfer case. Two motors, yes. Eliminate the drive train and you have additional battery volume available. While this is a concept, it would make much more sense to build fresh, from a blank sheet a BEV Wrangler. Too many compromises by using an ICE platform for BEV.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

If the Mach-E (and the Electric F150) have 500mils range next year, Ford won't be able to keep them in stock.

I'm thinking of selling my Raptor and getting a Rivian or Cybertruck (not sure on the looks of that one yet) but a 500 mile F150 4x4 will certainly get my attention quick.

BTW LG Chem is indeed the MachE's battery manufacturer. Ford has used them, the the past, for the Focus EV as well. Looks like they'll be used in the Transit EV as well.
https://europe.autonews.com/blogs/f...l-sharing-transit-van-will-help-profitability
Yikes, LG has been having issues with battery chemistry. Kia and GM have issued recalls to software limit charge capacity to 90% of max charge. There is long term analysis happening about chemistry, and how to fix a potential for self-ignition.
Sponsored