Sponsored

any new wireless CarPlay dongles out there?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've seen the CarPlay2Air and the Carlinkit, but they have sketchy reviews. Has any provider come forward with a reliable product? Doesn't seem like rocket science.
Sponsored

vanmoto

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon 2020
I have the Carlinkit, second generation, it's in my 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, I use the port in the center console. It works really well

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have been using Carlinkit 2.0 for several days and it has worked flawlessly, the time to connect is less than 15 secs and most times it’s been almost instant.

I don’t have the module tucked away in my console or anything and have it in the little cutout in front of my shifter so maybe since it’s signal is not being blocked by being hid it works a bit better but as I said I’ve only had it a few days but so far loving the no cable thing

Jeep Wrangler JL any new wireless CarPlay dongles out there? 856667C1-C05D-4004-AA50-526221569AA2
Jeep Wrangler JL any new wireless CarPlay dongles out there? E17C7560-4475-4D80-B2B9-88A228ACB814

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I, too, am using the Carlinkit on the JT. Mine is a first gen., but the manufacturer told my that the electronics are the same for both generations: the 2nd gen. is just a sleeker package. They also strongly recommend upgrading to the newest firmware if you experience any issues.
I use mine in the console, along with a wireless charger for an iPhone X. It works pretty well, until the iPhone gets hot, then things go to hell. If I pull the phone out of the console, and let it cool, things start working again.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Is there any equivalent for Android Auto? I've not had much luck finding them. What I do find either have bad reviews or seem to mix carplay and android auto with the name vs description, so I don't know what it does.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Are the internals of both brands the same?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As I posted I have been running the 2.0 version and got it off Amazon as they have a good return policy and it’s been several days and I can’t get it to not work, it’s been flawless with just a few small annoyances.

I have it tucked away in the little cutout right in front of my shifter as I don’t have aux switches or sway bar disconnect and it fits in there perfect, hookup was brainless, I did remove the unconnect connection I had originally just to keep any conflicts from happening and I believe the maker advises this and besides that I hate the Uconnect system and interface.

As far as connection it’s been perfect, I usually get in and by the time I push the ignition button it’s already connected behind the scenes so when the Uconnect screen comes up it’s on CarPlay, the only small annoyance there is a few times my music does not automatically start playing and I have to touch play but thats not a big deal.

The second small issue is a few times the music just for a brief second stops and starts but it have only happened maybe 2-3 times over the last several days.

The last is the quality of sound is a bit muffled compared to having it plugged in but I can live with that in exchange for not having to plug my darn phone in to use CarPlay and all functions work from messaging to phone calls to Nav using Apple Maps.

I did not update per the makers advice here

Jeep Wrangler JL any new wireless CarPlay dongles out there? 6BA3328A-6306-415D-9FF4-A6A3307ECBAA

all in all I am very pleased with this little unit, I hope it continues to work as it is and if it acts up say after doing a phone update then I will update it but won’t try to fix what’s not broke, I did think about putting it in my console but honestly where I have it not it’s not in the way and I figure maybe where it’s at may keep the signal clear between it and my phone but I may just run a few tests on location but it’s been rock solid so far.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any equivalent for Android Auto? I've not had much luck finding them. What I do find either have bad reviews or seem to mix carplay and android auto with the name vs description, so I don't know what it does.
I don’t think Carlinkkit makes one for Android but maybe reach out to them, I do believe there is another vendor that makes one but from my understanding it has reliability issues.

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
Any idea if this would be needed on the 2021? I’m not sure if they units have changed at all.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea if this would be needed on the 2021? I’m not sure if they units have changed at all.
Wireless CarPlay is not a needed function but lots of us hate cords so that’s why we were in search of an option as it’s a very convenient option for me, for example say you have your phone in a backpack, jacket pocket etc....and want to use CarPlay well you have to dig out your phone and plug it in and now I just get in my Jeep and roll and it connects wirelessly and automatically and that to me is a huge convenience.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes. Wireless CarPlay isn't available with the current generation radios in the JL.

dhpt99

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Wrangler Sahara Ecodiesel
I got the Cplay2air and while It was a little expensive, It works perfectly. I also picked up a few parts, maybe $20ish, and put It behind the AC controls.

Hidden, keep the front plug as well, and the arm rest plug still works as well.
What did you order to be able to do that?

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL