Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What is Fiat’s obsession with 2-door EVs?

First they show an Fiat 500 EV-only, which is going to be a hard sell. Now a 2-door Wrangler EV.

No offense to 2-door Wrangler lovers, but a fully-electric vehicle is a tough sell as it is. At least offer the practicality of 4-doors to broaden the appeal somewhat.
I mean, we have everything else, 4Xe, Diesel, Sky One touch top, Dual Top Group ect... why can't we let them have one thing? :bandit:
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
With 4 motors we will not need diffs saving weight and cost.

We will still need the equivalent of locking the diffs.

There is actually a company planning on producing a truck with in-hub motors.. no diffs... no transmission.. no transfer case... no axle

Lordstown Motors ... based in the USA.... the in-hub motors are made by Elaphe (a Slovenian company) ... they have been testing these in-hub motors for the last couple of years and it seems ready to market..

Here are the technical details for the Endurance truck made by them
https://lordstownmotors.com/pages/tech

Here are details about the in-hub motors used on the Endurance truck.. made by Elaphe

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase

First they show an Fiat 500 EV-only, which is going to be a hard sell. Now a 2-door Wrangler EV.

No offense to 2-door Wrangler lovers, but a fully-electric vehicle is a tough sell as it is. At least offer the practicality of 4-doors to broaden the appeal somewhat.
hmm, never thought about that..
But you know, Fiat doesn't have ownership anymore. The French have taken over. I'm not too sure that is a good thing but it is what it is.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I call BS on it ever being a 2 door. 100% Jeep will make a fully electric Wrangler but it will be a 4 door. Remember folks, they teased us with an AMAZING 2 door Gladiator which never came int reality. Don't get your hopes up my 2 Door brethren.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I wouldn’t be ;)

Ford doesn’t make their own batteries, LG makes them. GM does make their Ultium batteries and they are possibly the 2nd best batteries out there. Toyota is a wildcard IMO with their upcoming solid state batteries. I’m very curious to see what they do.

Tesla’s current batteries are the king of the hill and their new 4860 battery cells are real game changers in terms of cost and energy density. They also greatly reduce the cobalt content which makes them a lot more environmentally friendly. Toyota‘s solid state tech may alter my opinion there but we’ll have to wait and see on that.

Just to be clear, I’m cheering for all of these manufacturers. I’m just acknowledging that Tesla has a big lead right now. It’ll take a leap frog like jump to surpass them. That’s why I’m calling Toyota that wild card.

The battery Ford is using for hybrids isn’t what they’ll be using for all electric drive.
It’s my job to know battery tech. Q2 2022 they’ll be announcing what they’ve got but 500 mile range will be the big one

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
By the time they get this all right, I will be ready for a 2 door again...

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
But this concept had people asking the same questions about off-road performance, range, longevity, etc. and as soon as FCA emerged, it vanished.
Funny how that works right?

When it happened, I assumed it was an epic troll by Jeep at the time: the decals were just stickers and the plug in fuel door was only a mock up that was quickly replaced with a fuel filler door.

I’m wrong of course but if it was an epic troll, it was kind of funny.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The battery Ford is using for hybrids isn’t what they’ll be using for all electric drive.
It’s my job to know battery tech. Q2 2022 they’ll be announcing what they’ve got but 500 mile range will be the big one
If the Mach-E (and the Electric F150) have 500mils range next year, Ford won't be able to keep them in stock.

I'm thinking of selling my Raptor and getting a Rivian or Cybertruck (not sure on the looks of that one yet) but a 500 mile F150 4x4 will certainly get my attention quick.

BTW LG Chem is indeed the MachE's battery manufacturer. Ford has used them, the the past, for the Focus EV as well. Looks like they'll be used in the Transit EV as well.
https://europe.autonews.com/blogs/f...l-sharing-transit-van-will-help-profitability

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
You had to Putin this in the mix, didn’t you?
Well I mean He's got one one of the big red buttons yes...

But I have lived in areas with Coal, Nuclear, Wind, Solar and Hydroelectric power, so just throwing that into the mix.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I just put my $100 deposit on a Cybertruck. Hated the look of it when launched but it has grown on me. I also like the idea of a quiet ride in full autonomous mode. <4 sec 0-60 and >400 miles between charges also is appealing.

Will it replace my JLR or JTR? Won’t know until I drive it. I also have an order in for the Sondors MetaCycle (https://sondorsx.com/pages/metacycle).

Why my change of heart? My “oil change required” kept dinging at me over the weekend and a solid state power train just makes sense now that range is over 400 miles.

Love my Jeeps and will always have one but the times are charging... oops, changing.

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

Why not? 🙂 For instance, the 500e is already selling in Europe, where there’s a much bigger appetite and infrastructure for electric vehicles. The same thing applies to China, where emissions concerns are pressing. The only one lagging at the moment is the US, and honestly it’s about time we started we changed that. I think they should bring a 2door EV, alongside a 4door, and the whole Jeep line-up too. I know what you mean about being a tough sell in the US, but that change is inevitable, so might as well happen sooner than later. 🙂
Sponsored

Last edited: