Remove Hood Decals? Am I crazy?

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
My Rubicon 4XE has completed build and will be shipped "soon". Getting pretty excited about delivery; but now I've run into a huge issue. My wife *hates* the hood decal to the point that she now wants to cancel the order. I'm pretty sure the decal can be removed, but I'm a little worried about doing it. Anyone have experience removing the decal on other jeeps themselves or having their dealer do it?
Depends.... Whos Jeep is it and who is actually paying for it? If you are the answer than it is YOUR JEEP and YOU can have it anyway YOU want it! :D
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
@greensprit

In all seriousness...

IF you think the decal(s) will be an issue with you and your Wife, the best thing to do is remove them as soon you get the JL.

IF you do not feel comfortable removing them yourself, have a detail or decal shop, etc. that does decals remove them for you... Reality is they come off very easily.

You want to get them off when they come off the easiest (when new) and before your JL's paint job fades... and it will...

When you remove decals on a faded vehicle, you get "ghosting"..... another words you pull the decals off of a faded vehicle and you will end up still seeing the words/letters/decal area on the vehicle.

So, get them off.... IF you ever want the stock decals back.... you Love Birds 👩‍❤️‍👨 change your mind, you can always buy the decals from Mopar and have them reapplied to your vehicle.... Doing this is reapplication process is doable and far better then the ghosting thing.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Wait till the first solar flare.

OP
OP

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Depends.... Whos Jeep is it and who is actually paying for it? If you are the answer than it is YOUR JEEP and YOU can have it anyway YOU want it! :D
unfortunately it's my primary vehicle in the winter and hers in the summer. I don't particularly care either way, so if she wants them off, they're probably coming off. i'll post some pics - should come in "soon".

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
My Rubicon 4XE has completed build and will be shipped "soon". Getting pretty excited about delivery; but now I've run into a huge issue. My wife *hates* the hood decal to the point that she now wants to cancel the order. I'm pretty sure the decal can be removed, but I'm a little worried about doing it. Anyone have experience removing the decal on other jeeps themselves or having their dealer do it?
On my JK the Rubicon lettering was starting to peel after 3 years. I used a heat gun and adhesive remover to remove the OEM decals and replace with new. On my JL RUbicon, there are no decals on the horizontal hood surface and I have never noticed an issue with glare.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Do not cancel the order. Transfer it to my name. Looks like I'm in for at least 2 months before mine is ready.

JustinWPI11

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
unfortunately it's my primary vehicle in the winter and hers in the summer. I don't particularly care either way, so if she wants them off, they're probably coming off. i'll post some pics - should come in "soon".
My wife and I shared our old Wrangler with that same setup. Mine during the winter and hers in the summer. We fixed that, now I have a Jeep Gladiator and we just ordered her a 4Xe.

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
I'm planning to remove not only the hood decal, but ALL of the bright blue badging, stickers, etc... that comes on the 4xe, including the "rubicon" lettering on the side of the hood. From the outside, the only thing that would tipoff that mine is the 4xe will be the charging plug on the driver side cowl. Planning to replace the hood decal with a plain matte black decal for hood glare. Jeep badges will be replaced either with dark grey or black. Bumpers both coming off and replaced with aftermarket, so those blue tow hooks disappear. Doing the saddle interior, so none of the blue stitching on the interior either.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Funny; I like the electric blue badging, tow hooks and was disappointed that my billet Sahara Altitude 4xe does not come with the hood decal. If you guys can get that stuff off undamaged or have the decals shipped unapplied(?) I might buy them off you just PM me.

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Funny; I like the electric blue badging, tow hooks and was disappointed that my billet Sahara Altitude 4xe does not come with the hood decal. If you guys can get that stuff off undamaged or have the decals shipped unapplied(?) I might buy them off you just PM me.
That can happen aftermarket as well!

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I'm planning to remove not only the hood decal, but ALL of the bright blue badging, stickers, etc... that comes on the 4xe, including the "rubicon" lettering on the side of the hood. From the outside, the only thing that would tipoff that mine is the 4xe will be the charging plug on the driver side cowl. Planning to replace the hood decal with a plain matte black decal for hood glare. Jeep badges will be replaced either with dark grey or black. Bumpers both coming off and replaced with aftermarket, so those blue tow hooks disappear. Doing the saddle interior, so none of the blue stitching on the interior either.

Anything else I'm forgetting?
You must really have a vendetta against the blue accents don't you? haha

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
You must really have a vendetta against the blue accents don't you? haha
It's actually because I'm colorblind, so it's extremely difficult for me to determine if things would match or just look absolutely ridiculous... need to stick to a VERY narrow set of colors. Going Sting Gray paint, and black for just about everything else on the exterior besides perhaps a little extra gray flair on a factor 55 flatlink.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I'd make some wiseass remark about 'man or mouse', but.... in '76 I bought a new Chevy El Camino without coordinating with wifey. Upon arrival at el hacienda I was shocked to learn she hated it, would never ride in it and that my best bet was to sell it. Wisdom overrode pride. Occasionally I'll mention how those cars have appreciated. She just shakes her head.
Sponsored