MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
Remember this?

As soon as Fiat bought Chrysler, it got canned.
I'm sure this BEV Wrangler is happening, you definitely need to make that shirt in your profile picture a reality. I need that immediately, especially with a possible 392 in my driveway by the end of next year. (Waiting for Gecko Green).
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm sure this BEV Wrangler is happening
Oh yeah. It's definitely more likely now than it was back then. But this concept had people asking the same questions about off-road performance, range, longevity, etc. and as soon as FCA emerged, it vanished.

you definitely need to make that shirt in your profile picture a reality. I need that immediately, especially with a possible 392 in my driveway by the end of next year. (Waiting for Gecko Green).
I've got it and others in the works!

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
Oh yeah. It's definitely more likely now than it was back then. But this concept had people asking the same questions about off-road performance, range, longevity, etc. and as soon as FCA emerged, it vanished.

I've got it and others in the works!
Awesome! Message me when they're available, that shirt/pfp always makes me crack up when I see your account. The EV Wrangler better come in a two door and better have good range!

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
I woud be much more interested if multiple motors powered either each axle or better yet each wheel. matting an electric motor to a drive system designed for ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) is better but not best. Take a look at the Rivian R1T: https://rivian.com/r1t Four motors one driving each wheel. A lot of energy is wasted in turning drive lines, transfer case gears and drive gears.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
This should be interesting. Range on an EV is a function of battery size, aerodynamics, and low rolling resistance. My Tesla M3 with a 75kw battery struggles to make it 200 miles before needing a charge (in nice weather) when on the interstate driving at 75-80mph. In town it does far better. I can’t imagine a JL with big tires and the aerodynamics of a brick doing the same with less than 130kw battery....that’s a big battery. Off-roading won’t be a problem, but driving to get to the trails is another story. I love electric motor drivability...but I think battery capacity and cost will be a problem. FCA is certainly not cutting edge in the EV space.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
With 4 motors we will not need diffs saving weight and cost.

We will still need the equivalent of locking the diffs.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
We will still need the equivalent of locking the diffs.
Why? With the 4 motor system, just cut power to the wheel that loses traction, and it won't effect the wheel that has traction.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
THIS !! 2 DOOR !! Don't dangle it as a " concept" and not bring it to production ! I will test it for you !!
EJS concepts rarely go into production. But FCA has said before they were looking at bringing out a 100% EV Wrangler.

I just wonder who would be the battery supplier? I can’t imagine this would have better than 300 miles of range without Tesla batteries.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
EJS concepts rarely go into production. But FCA has said before they were looking at bringing out a 100% EV Wrangler.

I just wonder who would be the battery supplier? I can’t imagine this would have better than 300 miles of range without Tesla batteries.

I think you’d be surprised at what’s cooking at other vendors. Toyota, Ford and GM for sure have excellent batteries readying for launch

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I think you’d be surprised at what’s cooking at other vendors. Toyota, Ford and GM for sure have excellent batteries readying for launch
I wouldn’t be ;)

Ford doesn’t make their own batteries, LG makes them. GM does make their Ultium batteries and they are possibly the 2nd best batteries out there. Toyota is a wildcard IMO with their upcoming solid state batteries. I’m very curious to see what they do.

Tesla’s current batteries are the king of the hill and their new 4860 battery cells are real game changers in terms of cost and energy density. They also greatly reduce the cobalt content which makes them a lot more environmentally friendly. Toyota‘s solid state tech may alter my opinion there but we’ll have to wait and see on that.

Just to be clear, I’m cheering for all of these manufacturers. I’m just acknowledging that Tesla has a big lead right now. It’ll take a leap frog like jump to surpass them. That’s why I’m calling Toyota that wild card.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
I wonder if you will have to carry extra battery's for long trips? Or, maybe the roof will be solar to recharge the battery's....
Carrying extra batteries isn’t really feasible. Good news is many long trips can be covered now by CCS chargers and while that network is still deficient in the US compared to Tesla’s supercharger network, by the time this comes out it should be fine for most - assuming Jeep gives this a good max charge rate (I don’t have high hopes given the 4XE is a snail at the charger). More interesting might be a small range extender engine acting as generator like the BMW i3 uses but I assume there are packaging and efficiency limitations.

Unfortunately solar panels aren’t near efficient enough to give you any meaningful charge on a vehicle this heavy, but they could prevent vampire drain while at the campsite, so you could continue to run lights and accessories. Those solar accessories already exist though!

If a guy can dream a little, I hope all those carbon credits FCA paid to Tesla bought them some access to the supercharger network.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What is Fiat’s obsession with 2-door EVs?

First they show an Fiat 500 EV-only, which is going to be a hard sell. Now a 2-door Wrangler EV.

No offense to 2-door Wrangler lovers, but a fully-electric vehicle is a tough sell as it is. At least offer the practicality of 4-doors to broaden the appeal somewhat.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
What ever happened to the 2020 EJS concepts? They had to have been mostly complete by the time everything went Full 'Rona.
Sponsored