Sponsored

Steering locked up at 70mph.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the exact same issue with my power steering going out. I have taken it to two different dealerships and have had a case with @JeepCares without success. Please help me get the new steering box authorized. This is a death trap without it.
Hi there @jeremy89 ! Thanks for mentioning us and bringing this to our attention. We're super sorry to hear that you and some fellow forum members are experiencing these concerns! Please send us a private message with your VIN and/or Case Number (if you have it readily available) so we can investigate your situation further.

-- If any anyone has questions or concerns, or would like additional support while working alongside your Jeep dealers and/or Case Managers, please do not hesitate to send our @JeepCares team a private message! We'll need your current mileages & VIN's to get started. Thanks!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
Hi there @jeremy89 ! Thanks for mentioning us and bringing this to our attention. We're super sorry to hear that you and some fellow forum members are experiencing these concerns! Please send us a private message with your VIN and/or Case Number (if you have it readily available) so we can investigate your situation further.

-- If any anyone has questions or concerns, or would like additional support while working alongside your Jeep dealers and/or Case Managers, please do not hesitate to send our @JeepCares team a private message! We'll need your current mileages & VIN's to get started. Thanks!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
I sent a message on Saturday. I just sent another one just now. Please authorize the dealership to repair the steering. I don't want to have to try to get this Jeep Lemon Law either.

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
Damn. @JeepCares, donā€™t try to communicate this with the OP by PM, we all need to understand this one.
Have the same issue and they won't authorize, dealerships can't diagnose it, and they WON'T authorize a rental vehicle while the dealership has it.

Sponsored

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
Sorry but you are completely wrong. If the stabilizer was stuck, it would happen at all speeds.
When my power steering goes out it's over 30mph and will stay off until i go below 30mph. Very dangerous and frustrating. Taken it to 2 dealerships 4 times and taking it again tomorrow and @JeepCares will not authorize a rental car.

Prumite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2018 JL Sahara

I feel for all of you. I actually had an accident. I was leaving a gas station, entering a pretty busy highway in a right turn and the steering locked up and would not allow me to turn the wheel to the left, sending me right into the barrier.

Jeeps investigation determined they were not at fault and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. How can this be when I see all these posts and youtube videos on fixing the problem. I am extremely displeased with Jeep. I am hopeful the problem will be fixed but I guess its safe to continue driving this death trap until such time? No rental? Jeep is willing to take that risk? Amazing.
BTW they never put the vehicle on a lift to inspect anything. They did a download and a few figure 8 turns which is a joke since I told them this happened on uneven pavement, accelerating into the turn to enter the highway. My friend and I were uninjured. The best part is this happened on January 10th. I have documented complaints to Jeep since December 3rd I have the "Death Wobble" at certain speeds when hitting a bump. And yet this is still my fault? This vehicle was purchased for my daughter. Jeep is comfortable having me allow my 19 year old daughter drive it? Amazing and scary.
I am looking to pursue this further with Jeep as I only just learned of their decision late last week. Any advice on getting them to listen and cover the damage their design flaw caused would be greatly appreciated.

We are first time Jeep owners. We were delighted to join the Jeep family. Not so much anymore.

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
2018 JL Sahara

I feel for all of you. I actually had an accident. I was leaving a gas station, entering a pretty busy highway in a right turn and the steering locked up and would not allow me to turn the wheel to the left, sending me right into the barrier.

Jeeps investigation determined they were not at fault and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. How can this be when I see all these posts and youtube videos on fixing the problem. I am extremely displeased with Jeep. I am hopeful the problem will be fixed but I guess its safe to continue driving this death trap until such time? No rental? Jeep is willing to take that risk? Amazing.
BTW they never put the vehicle on a lift to inspect anything. They did a download and a few figure 8 turns which is a joke since I told them this happened on uneven pavement, accelerating into the turn to enter the highway. My friend and I were uninjured. The best part is this happened on January 10th. I have documented complaints to Jeep since December 3rd I have the "Death Wobble" at certain speeds when hitting a bump. And yet this is still my fault? This vehicle was purchased for my daughter. Jeep is comfortable having me allow my 19 year old daughter drive it? Amazing and scary.
I am looking to pursue this further with Jeep as I only just learned of their decision late last week. Any advice on getting them to listen and cover the damage their design flaw caused would be greatly appreciated.

We are first time Jeep owners. We were delighted to join the Jeep family. Not so much anymore.
It's VERY frustrated. Totally understand. The first time they switched out the steering dampener which did not fix it. I have taken my jeep into 3 dealerships with the same power steering complaint and now the 6th time it's been taken in they are replacing the power steering pump. We will see if that fixes the problem. I don't feel very confident as this is the 6th time. I called Jeep Cares with little help. It's a very scary problem which Jeep obviously does not want to either recognize or take responsibility for this issue.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
2018 JL Sahara

I think a well heeled product liability attorney is the route I'd go at this point. This is the first situation I've read about that an owner that has experienced this which resulted in an accident. I really think you are the in the best position to successfully cause change in FCA's actions. Given your collection of other's experiences and the accident, I'd expect a celebrity attorney would take this on.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
entering a pretty busy highway in a right turn and the steering locked up and would not allow me to turn the wheel to the left, sending me right into the barrier.
Nascar drivers always use that excuse,

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
We're super sorry to hear that you and some fellow forum members are experiencing these concerns!
I think the problem here is confusing concerns with issues.

Prumite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a well heeled product liability attorney is the route I'd go at this point. This is the first situation I've read about that an owner that has experienced this which resulted in an accident. I really think you are the in the best position to successfully cause change in FCA's actions. Given your collection of other's experiences and the accident, I'd expect a celebrity attorney would take this on.
I think you are right. Itā€™s a classic case where if someone had gotten hurt, it would be a case worth someone taking.

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
I think you are right. Itā€™s a classic case where if someone had gotten hurt, it would be a case worth someone taking.
It's a shame it's come to this. We have just been lucky enough to avoid accidents when it happens. I'm on the 6th time taking it in for this issue.

Prumite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a shame it's come to this. We have just been lucky enough to avoid accidents when it happens. I'm on the 6th time taking it in for this issue.
6th time? What are they doing to the car each time? Did they replace the steering box?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I just saw this thread right after I ordered a new two-door JL Sport this afternoon, and it definitely has me reconsidering my purchase. I am a long-time Jeep owner, but if this steering lock-up is a common issue, then I might just have to cancel it. Do we have any idea of just how widespread this is, and if FCA is even addressing it beyond the previous TSBs (which clearly haven't worked)?
Sponsored