Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll want the fan running to move the hot air from the engine out the rear gap. Some kind of manual fan-override switch?
For those with a Tazer, there's a "cool down mode" that runs the fan for a short while after shut down.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
For those raising the rear of the hood, that might create a cowl induction effect at higher speeds: forced air entering the engine bay could creating higher pressure which reduces air flow through the radiator causing the engine to run hotter. At low speeds this mod is probably ok.

Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
I have almost 9,000 miles with these and no heat, water, or other problems.

IMG_0319.jpg

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You’ll want the fan running to move the hot air from the engine out the rear gap. Some kind of manual fan-override switch?
Convection seems to work nicely without a fan and battery draw down.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For those with a Tazer, there's a "cool down mode" that runs the fan for a short while after shut down.
I have a Tazer. I prefer not having a noisy fan running and drawing down the battery.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For those raising the rear of the hood, that might create a cowl induction effect at higher speeds: forced air entering the engine bay could creating higher pressure which reduces air flow through the radiator causing the engine to run hotter. At low speeds this mod is probably ok.
Positive under hood air pressure seems to be greater and the low pressure area at the cowl seems to enhance the air flow. Cowl induction is low pressure air being drawn into the motors intake not forced.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you've got a Rubicon, you can put in the Poison Spyder vents. I put a set in and you can feel the heat coming out when the motor is running or when shut off.
https://shop.poisonspyder.com/JT-JL-Rubicon-Hood-Louver-Black-PC-p/19-53-012p1.htm
There is very little open free area in those vents compared to a raised hinge hood gap. And raising the hood is easily reverseable. Those P.S. vents drain water onto the motor. The motors heat will evaporate it but that added water vapor/steam over the long term is problematic.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
added water vapor/steam over the long term is problematic.
Proof of that with these Poison Spyder vents? Even after I wash the Jeep down, there is very little water in the engine bay. There was more water getting into the engine bay driving down the road in the rain before I did the vents.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
My '77 280Z has been running for 42 years with open hood vents with no problems.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
There is a reason engine compartments have covers. If a hole in the top of that cover works for you, so be it.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any idea how much these 2 changes helped with heat dissipation? How about increase in sound levels from under the hood? Have a JLURD on the way and will be on trails in CO in July. Sound not such a big deal to my old ears though. I wonder if the hood would get too hot without the liner? Is it there for metal/paint protection or just sound deadening? I am tempted to try these 2 things as soon as I get mine.
The JT grill screens let more air in and the hood hinge extensions let more flow out. How much is a good question. I do know the cooling fan quit running on high when I start up which tells me the temp isn't spiking like it was. DIY aluminum hinge extension plates and the JT grill screens are inexpensive.
Sponsored

Last edited: