Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was actually going to mentions those.

During the holidays I was about to order those exact ones in the black anodized. (Which if fully coated on back also would most likely prevent the issue from happening (again not a mechanic just my opinion)

only reason I didnā€™t pull the trigger is being out in Canada, when I went to place the order the shipping charge was $350!!!

which therefore pushed the order of the hinges for all 4 doors close to the $900 mark!

I got bumpers/lifts/and tires on my list

and I couldnā€™t justify paying as much for hinges as my bumper will most likely come too.

but you being out in the states Iā€™m sure itā€™s not as much of a hit with shipping fees.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Last edited:

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Edit: Other option is, at the same time you could also order JL reg hinges (which are a lot cheaper) have them fully coated and then swap them out.
Interesting to hear you were looking at those too! Thanks for vetting my thoughts on them.

Sounds like getting any of those hinges (aftermarket or factory, although the aftermarket might be a little better in preventing issues since theyā€™re aluminum? I donā€™t know much about metals...) and doing a thorough job in coating the backs of them to ensure they donā€™t contact the body panel should prevent any corrosion.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Just an update to let you guys know I ordered the genright black anodized hinges, cringed at the $500 price but Iā€™m really hoping this prevents any issues. Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll cut a piece of PPF to use as a gasket between the hinge and the door unless someone has a better idea. Iā€™ll also give the bolts a shot of fluid film before I install. Hoping taking out the oem bolts/hinges goes easily...
I didnā€™t even take delivery of my Jeep yet LOL but Iā€™ll be sure to give an update of how all this goes. Thanks everyone for pointing this issue out and sharing their thoughts on how to fix it (since fca is incapable of doing so)

Sponsored

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Just an update to let you guys know I ordered the genright black anodized hinges, cringed at the $500 price but Iā€™m really hoping this prevents any issues. Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll cut a piece of PPF to use as a gasket between the hinge and the door unless someone has a better idea. Iā€™ll also give the bolts a shot of fluid film before I install. Hoping taking out the oem bolts/hinges goes easily...
I didnā€™t even take delivery of my Jeep yet LOL but Iā€™ll be sure to give an update of how all this goes. Thanks everyone for pointing this issue out and sharing their thoughts on how to fix it (since fca is incapable of doing so)
Does it replace the hood hinges and tailgate hinges? They are a problem as well. My hood hinges are bubbling.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Does it replace the hood hinges and tailgate hinges? They are a problem as well. My hood hinges are bubbling.
Nope just the door hinges. Iā€™ve been trying to figure out a way to do this for hood hinges. Think Iā€™m gunna take Jay13ā€™s advice and just get the replacement mopar hinges for the hood. Iā€™ll paint them and insulate them from the rest of the metal they contact.
now for the tailgate hinges.... havenā€™t even thought of those yet:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Are your tailgate hinges bubbling?

Edit: Iā€™ll probably get the mopar primed tailgate hinges from quadratec as well, just like how Iā€™m getting the hood hinges. Getting all new hardware as well.
Total cost of the 8 genright door hinges, 2 mopar hood hinge replacements, and two mopar tailgate hinge replacements with all new hardware is $900. The mopar hinges will need to be painted

Last edited:

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope just the door hinges. Iā€™ve been trying to figure out a way to do this for hood hinges. Think Iā€™m gunna take Jay13ā€™s advice and just get the replacement mopar hinges for the hood. Iā€™ll paint them and insulate them from the rest of the metal they contact.
now for the tailgate hinges.... havenā€™t even thought of those yet:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Are your tailgate hinges bubbling?

Edit: Iā€™ll probably get the mopar primed tailgate hinges from quadratec as well, just like how Iā€™m getting the hood hinges. Getting all new hardware as well.
Total cost of the 8 genright door hinges, 2 mopar hood hinge replacements, and two mopar tailgate hinge replacements with all new hardware is $900. The mopar hinges will need to be painted

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No my tailgate hinges are not a problem yet but the dealer told me it has been for many Jeep they have done with the bubbles.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
No my tailgate hinges are not a problem yet but the dealer told me it has been for many Jeep they have done with the bubbles.
Goodluck with them I hope they donā€™t start! Getting all mopar replacements and painting them would be cheaper than getting those aftermarket door hinges I got. Total cost would be around $700 for everything. Iā€™d rather not deal with the dealer not doing it the right way, and not matching the paint and breaking the factory paint job.

when I get my Jeep, this will be the first thing Iā€™ll be doing to it. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes!

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
So I picked mine up after a month at the dealership..... The only did one door and the hood. Didnt touch the passenger side door or the tailgate! I am beyond annoyed at this point. I talked to the service manager and i get to drop it back off in the spring when the paint shop slows down. There is also some nice divots in the area they painted. Anyone wanna buy out my lease? Haha
Sounds very similar to the job they did to my jeep. even though they documented and took pictures of all the work needed to be done, they only did half. The worst part is having to go through the lengthy process of them taking months to get it done. :facepalm:

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Sounds very similar to the job they did to my jeep. even though they documented and took pictures of all the work needed to be done, they only did half. The worst part is having to go through the lengthy process of them taking months to get it done. :facepalm:
If I was you I'd be glad it was a lease and not getting stuck with a piece of trash.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Except mine isnā€™t a lease. šŸ˜…
So far so good with my 19 Rubi . If mine bubbles its gone. I'm not going to play games with the Dealer or FCA and have checkerboard doors and hood . I'm not impressed with FCA quality or reliability it took a yr and 9 months to straighten out the steering and had a coolant leak at 9 miles . Don't get me wrong I like my Jeep but I'm done with the B.S.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Someone needs to make isolating pads for all the hinges. Hood, doors, and tailgate.
Sponsored