I screwed up buying 18" wheels

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Alright, here is one for you. I wanted 18" wheels on my Rubicon. Just like the way they look. I'm getting ready to put 37's on them, currently running 35's. My problem is patagonia doesn't make a 37x12.50R18. Another reason and route I was going to go was to buy another set of wheels for beadlocks, but no one makes an 18" deadlock wheel. That means I would have to buy tires and wheels. So, yes I'm stupid. I liked the way the 18" looks, and love off roading, but I guess I'm stuck my either 37" Ridge Grapplers, or buying 17" wheels to get bead locks, and the patagonias. Expensive mistake for 1 inch.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Personal preference here, but depending on where you live and what you do with your Jeep I would steer away from ridge grapplers.

Not great in snow and some people aren’t impressed with slick off-roading.

Cooper STT for lots of off-roading or BFG KO for snow/mixed driving (if you don’t want an aggressive mud tire).

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personal preference here, but depending on where you live and what you do with your Jeep I would steer away from ridge grapplers.

Cooper STT for lots of off-roading or BFG KO for snow/mixed driving (if you don’t want an aggressive mud tire).
I have the Ridge Grapplers now in 35's. They do good around here. I live in Southwest Missouri. I am going to Moab for the Jeep Jamboree in October. I did look at the STT's. Not a fan of the BFG tire. Just sucks that I didn't do my research and bought 18's. Really wanted a set of 37 Pats.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR

I have no complaints about my Ridge Grapplers in snow. They actually performed better than I had thought they would. They're certainly no Wildpeak AT3w or KO2s but they do great. And if you're referring to mud or clay as slick offroading, they are leaps and bounds above KO2s.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 35" patagonias and no issues in 12k miles and several off-road trips as well. Low noise and cheap compared to others. They may not last over 30k miles but if I get 30k out of them I'd be happy especially with the price I paid. But I also haven't tested them in snow. They seem ok in rain.

I make sure to do 5k rotations. Have done two so far.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have the 35" patagonias and no issues in 12k miles and several off-road trips as well. Low noise and cheap compared to others. They may not last over 30k miles but if I get 30k out of them I'd be happy especially with the price I paid. But I also haven't tested them in snow. They seem ok in rain.

I make sure to do 5k rotations. Have done two so far.
Be careful in the snow w/ them, and in freezing temps they can be scary!

JanetsJLU

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Unfortunately I have to agree with your statement. I recently bought a trail edition 5th gen four runner and it had 18s on it when we got it, I was never happy with that thing being on 18s.
I am not a fan of 18s or anything larger for that matter, but my opinion is irrelevant. I hate to hear that the selection for the wheel size you like and chose is not very good.

I am currently catching major heck to get my inner beads to stop "burping" on my 17" pro comp vapors with 43" Sx's on my rock buggy.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I have to agree with your statement. I recently bought a trail edition 5th gen four runner and it had 18s on it when we got it, I was never happy with that thing being on 18s.
I am not a fan of 18s or anything larger for that matter, but my opinion is irrelevant. I hate to hear that the selection for the wheel size you like and chose is not very good.

I am currently catching major heck to get my inner beads to stop "burping" on my 17" pro comp vapors with 43" Sx's on my rock buggy.
I didn’t realize it would be this hard. I didn’t want bigger for airing down and going on trails. 18’s gave me plenty of sidewall, but no Patagonia’s for me. Guess STT’s or stick with Ridge Grapplers, or spend $5,000 for new tires and wheels.

JanetsJLU

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
We chose the Yokohama MT recently, I liked the lighter weight compared to the Big brands.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We chose the Yokohama MT recently, I liked the lighter weight compared to the Big brands.
Not a huge fan of Yokohama. I’ve had several Nittos over the years and had very good luck. Have a set of Terras on my truck with 50,000 miles and still in good shape.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well you lucked out. You could have bought the Patagonia tires and made two financial mistakes. I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years. The Pats are by far the worst tire I have ever had on a vehicle.

So before all of you jump in with praise about the how cheap they are and bla bla..... just remember your new jeep has traction control, anti lock brakes, and stability control. Those feature hide how terrible the Pats are. Sure they are less expensive, but only last about half of what the other tires typically last. If you pay to have tires mounted on bead lock wheels, you may pay between $100 to $200 per tire. Changing tire more often immediately kills any savings that you may have though you had.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful in the snow w/ them, and in freezing temps they can be scary!
Actually I forgot, last week there was snow up at Rowher when we went on the trail. I was perfectly ok with how they performed. Another guy and I did better with the patagonias in the snow than others.

Well you lucked out. You could have bought the Patagonia tires and made two financial mistakes. I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years. The Pats are by far the worst tire I have ever had on a vehicle.

So before all of you jump in with praise about the how cheap they are and bla bla..... just remember your new jeep has traction control, anti lock brakes, and stability control. Those feature hide how terrible the Pats are. Sure they are less expensive, but only last about half of what the other tires typically last. If you pay to have tires mounted on bead lock wheels, you may pay between $100 to $200 per tire. Changing tire more often immediately kills any savings that you may have though you had.
I haven't had any issues with them at all. I paid under $1k for a set of 5. I am sure ones you would recommend would be around $1500 for 5 which is 50% increase in price. So 30k miles I would be happy. I haven't compared other tires on my Jeep but I don't see how other tires would really perform THAT different to where I would be like "wow, glad I paid the extra for these". I also have a tough time believing people get 50k+ miles out of other tires reliably without running them bald.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Actually I forgot, last week there was snow up at Rowher when we went on the trail. I was perfectly ok with how they performed. Another guy and I did better with the patagonias in the snow than others.

I haven't had any issues with them at all. I paid under $1k for a set of 5. I am sure ones you would recommend would be around $1500 for 5 which is 50% increase in price. So 30k miles I would be happy. I haven't compared other tires on my Jeep but I don't see how other tires would really perform THAT different to where I would be like "wow, glad I paid the extra for these". I also have a tough time believing people get 50k+ miles out of other tires reliably without running them bald.
There are 42,000 miles on these Copper STT Pro tires. I will get 50,000 out of them easily.
Jeep Wrangler JL I screwed up buying 18" wheels 1612708455343

One of the big problems with the Pats, are they are a crowned tire when ran it their recommend psi. The contact patch is small as they primary run on the center lug. If you run them in a lower psi so that you have a better contact patch on the street, they will wear and cup bad. That is not the case with many other better tires.

Just for simple math, the cost of two set of Pats + mounting is way more that a better quality tire that last twice as long. Also when running a better tire, you will also get to enjoy a better tire and there is value in that.

In the end of the day, it is your money and you, like I get to spend it how we please. Thank Jeep for your traction control, anti lock brakes and stability control. After all that is what make the Pats a good tire......... Because if they are on a vehicle with out traction control, anti lock brakes or stability control, like they are on my SBXJ, you would not be impressed with their performance.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There are 42,000 miles on these Copper STT Pro tires. I will get 50,000 out of them easily. One of the big problems with the Pats, are they are a crowned tire when ran it their recommend psi. The contact patch is small as they primary run on the center lug. If you run them in a lower psi so that you have a better contact patch on the street, they will wear and cup bad. That is not the case with many other better tires.

Just for simple math, the cost of two set of Pats + mounting is way more that a better quality tire that last twice as long. Also when running a better tire, you will also get to enjoy a better tire and there is value in that.

In the end of the day, it is your money and you, like I get to spend it how we please. Thank Jeep for your traction control, anti lock brakes and stability control. After all that is what make the Pats a good tire......... Because if they are on a vehicle with out traction control, anti lock brakes or stability control, like they are on my SBXJ, you would not be impressed with their performance.
Wow Ted, the tread left on your STTs @42k look about the same as my Pats at 16k :angry:
Nice informative post as always :like:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I love the look of 18” wheels as well but choices are very limited for Offroad tires in 18’s so I sold off everything and went to 17’s
Sponsored