Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
Well, I'm about 95% sure I'm ordering up one of the long racks. We used to tow an Adventure trailer that had an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 tent on it and it was absolutely awesome. But now, without a trailer, I'm going to setup the Diesel Wrangler (ordered and waiting for it) somewhat the same way (instead of the trailer).

The tent weighs 220lbs. The Maximus is the only one I see that has that static capacity (barely) required. More than enough dynamic capacity though for the two of us and some gear when camped.

My main concern at this point is two fold. With it's low profile, how in the world am I going to get the tent attached with the platform already on the Jeep. The Eezi-Awn has it's own rail system around the perimeter of the base. I don't think it's going to be as simple as drilling through the floor and using what I've seen here. I just can't quite wrap my head around how this will work. The second concern is that I don't plan on leaving the tent (and rack?) on the Jeep over the winter so 6 months a year it will be removed. The removal of the platform, with the tent attached is my focus. If there's an easy method to quickly remove the tent then the rack could stay but then again, that's an issue with it being so close to the top.

Like others have said, just put the bolts back in through the roof. Well, that may work but not necessarily the way I like to do things. With harsh winters up here in Alaska, I may want something more substantial. Maybe devise a cover or plate that goes over the hole areas much like the surface profile of the platform itself???

My focus is on how to get this all done. I've ordered the Jeep from Everette WA. I'll fly down from Anchorage when it's ready and get it (Mid March??). Then hopefully, my preplanning will work. Get all the gear (rack, tent, storage area gear - for fridge etc) sent to a friend down there (free shipping normally to the lower 48) and have an install party. Shipping prices to Alaska are ENORMOUS) Then drive it back home using the Tent for camping. The hard part is trying to coordinate all this so I am not waiting for parts but rather they are sitting there ready and waiting for me.

We shall see. The Maximus setup will house an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 T-Top XKFUSIV Roof Tent. Just the tent as it will take every inch of it. It's closed dimensions are 48″L x 71″W and weights 220lbs. There is no better tent in my opinion and you get what you pay for. I must get the best rack system available. Hence me being here :)

Our Previous Hemi JK setup with the trailer. It's now just going to be all in/on the Diesel JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System IMG_1736.JPG
Sponsored

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Let me know how this setup works for you. I'm installing the Maximus 3 Pioneer Platform and I"m considering an Ikamper RTT as well. Good luck with the install!
I had a company here in San Diego to do The install of the Maximus and ikamper. They used accessory bars https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...-accessory-bar-c-channel-1360mm-4-4ft-_43138b
To attach the ikamper brackets to the pioneer platform.

This works but to be honest I’m not happy with how it turned out. The guys did a fantastic job at the rack install. The problem with the tent setup is it’s extremely hard to get to the back two ikamper brackets. They are so far in you have to use a 18” ratchet extension. You also have to squeeze your arm in and try and thread the bolt to put the brackets on. This is awful and painful if you have normal arms. If you have any muscles on your arm do not go with the Maximus-3 for ikamper.

I have no idea why Maximus designed the system to be so low to the Jeep roof. I get it to be slimline but it’s not functional when it comes to adding accessories below the platform, example brackets. To me this is a major design flaw and would not go with the Maximus-3. In saying that Maximus were really helpful when ordering and I really wish they would either add spacers to make the feet higher if you decide you want more under rack space. Backbone allows for spacers on their system.

I have an idea on brackets that would make the attachment of ikamper To pioneer platform much easier but would need the help of a welder to mock them up. If anyone out there would like to help solve this issue for the Maximus setup then please reach out.

Here are some images of the install.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System CE7CB465-7706-4AE3-BE1E-B68DF7FC26A3

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System 4C58461C-F7FF-44D3-8879-B6F48BEA3824

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System 1B087194-2E02-44F1-96D0-6C434E67527D

I will give Maximus credit for making a strong bracketing system and stepping into a market that others have stayed away from on the 2 doors. So thank you Maximus team.

Last edited:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well, I'm about 95% sure I'm ordering up one of the long racks. We used to tow an Adventure trailer that had an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 tent on it and it was absolutely awesome. But now, without a trailer, I'm going to setup the Diesel Wrangler (ordered and waiting for it) somewhat the same way (instead of the trailer).

The tent weighs 220lbs. The Maximus is the only one I see that has that static capacity (barely) required. More than enough dynamic capacity though for the two of us and some gear when camped.

My main concern at this point is two fold. With it's low profile, how in the world am I going to get the tent attached with the platform already on the Jeep. The Eezi-Awn has it's own rail system around the perimeter of the base. I don't think it's going to be as simple as drilling through the floor and using what I've seen here. I just can't quite wrap my head around how this will work. The second concern is that I don't plan on leaving the tent (and rack?) on the Jeep over the winter so 6 months a year it will be removed. The removal of the platform, with the tent attached is my focus. If there's an easy method to quickly remove the tent then the rack could stay but then again, that's an issue with it being so close to the top.

Like others have said, just put the bolts back in through the roof. Well, that may work but not necessarily the way I like to do things. With harsh winters up here in Alaska, I may want something more substantial. Maybe devise a cover or plate that goes over the hole areas much like the surface profile of the platform itself???

My focus is on how to get this all done. I've ordered the Jeep from Everette WA. I'll fly down from Anchorage when it's ready and get it (Mid March??). Then hopefully, my preplanning will work. Get all the gear (rack, tent, storage area gear - for fridge etc) sent to a friend down there (free shipping normally to the lower 48) and have an install party. Shipping prices to Alaska are ENORMOUS) Then drive it back home using the Tent for camping. The hard part is trying to coordinate all this so I am not waiting for parts but rather they are sitting there ready and waiting for me.

We shall see. The Maximus setup will house an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 T-Top XKFUSIV Roof Tent. Just the tent as it will take every inch of it. It's closed dimensions are 48″L x 71″W and weights 220lbs. There is no better tent in my opinion and you get what you pay for. I must get the best rack system available. Hence me being here :)

Our Previous Hemi JK setup with the trailer. It's now just going to be all in/on the Diesel JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System 1B087194-2E02-44F1-96D0-6C434E67527D
I'll be using one of these to pull my RTT still connected to the Rhino Rack when I'm not going camping. my Jeep is already to tall for garage so this will go in side yard and have a cheap electric winch attached to it. Pull under, unbolt rack, hoist, pull out and away. I'll probably lower the RTT/rack onto a platform and tarp it for storage. I'm using the backbone system but you should be able to do something similar.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-telescoping-gantry-crane-41188.html

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I had a company here in San Diego to do The install of the Maximus and ikamper. They used accessory bars https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...-accessory-bar-c-channel-1360mm-4-4ft-_43138b

This works but to be honest I’m not happy with how it turned out. The guys did a fantastic job at the rack install. The problem with the tent setup is it’s extremely hard to get to the back two ikamper brackets. They are so far in you have to use a 18” ratchet extension. You also have to squeeze your arm in and try and thread the bolt to put the brackets on. This is awful and painful if you have normal arms. If you have any muscles on your arm do not go with the Maximus-3 for ikamper.

I have no idea why Maximus designed the system to be so low to the Jeep roof. I get it to be slimline but it’s not functional when it comes to adding accessories below the platform, example brackets. To me this is a major design flaw and would not go with the Maximus-3. In saying that Maximus were really helpful when ordering and I really wish they would either add spacers to make the feet higher if you decide you want more under rack space. Backbone allows for spacers on their system.

I have an idea on brackets that would make the attachment of ikamper To pioneer platform much easier but would need the help of a welder to mock them up. If anyone out there would like to help solve this issue for the Maximus setup then please reach out.

I will give Maximus credit for making a strong bracketing system and stepping into a market that others have stayed away from on the 2 doors. So thank you Maximus team.
@eman20 thanks for the detailed explanation on this.

In one of your earlier post you mentioned you will be using the Front Runner Quick release, did you check whether those work with the Maximus 3 and Rhino Rack bar ?

My JL won't fit in the garage with the RTT on, so I will need something which help the RTT off the rack easily, sounds like with the Maximus 3 rack there wont be any quick release option, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sponsored

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
I so wanted the Maximus because of the weight rating. I decided on going down a tent so now I don’t need the extra capacity.

I decided to go with the rhino rack and their HD cross bars. The tent will completely cover their platform so it’s really a waste for just a RTT. Now with the bars there are easy mounts to attach the tent to the rails.

The main disadvantage of using the cross bars is the height. The tent is 11.5” tall when stowed. So more drag, more noise, more clearance needed.

I’m bummed I can’t use the Maximus system. But for what I need for the tent, it’s just not the best option. If I was going to use the platform for items other than a RTT then it would be a no brainer.

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for the detailed info. Man that's tight! I was worried about that as well. I ended up going with the Tuffstuff Alpha II tent (https://tuffstuff4x4.com/collection...ha-ii™-hard-top-side-open-tent-black-2-person), but I think I'm going to have the same issues trying to fit it underneath. I will use the rack for trips where we won't be using the RTT, but the crossbars with the Backbone system definitely look like they'd be easier for the RTT setup.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
@eman20 thanks for the detailed explanation on this.

In one of your earlier post you mentioned you will be using the Front Runner Quick release, did you check whether those work with the Maximus 3 and Rhino Rack bar ?

My JL won't fit in the garage with the RTT on, so I will need something which help the RTT off the rack easily, sounds like with the Maximus 3 rack there wont be any quick release option, please correct me if I am wrong.
From what I have read the front runner quick release brackets wont work without some modification on the Rhino rack Pioneer platform. https://www.toyota-4runner.org/gene...-rhino-rack-using-front-runner-qd-mounts.html
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I hear you on the garage clearance front. If your main concern is getting tent on and off fast then do not go with maximus-3 unless you want to drill holes through the base of your tent. I hate to say this but the maximus-3 system was not made with tents in mind. I love their look but you need matchstick arms to work underneath it. I totally regret my choice going with this low profile option.

Is your jeep a 2 door or a 4 door ? If you have a 4 door then I would go with backbone which has spacer options and removal of rack and tent mush easier. Which also means you can easily remove your hardtop.
I tried to remove the hardtop with the maximus-3 and I just gave up its another headache.

As I said in my last post I went with the maximus-3 because they were the ones who stepped up to the plate and had a solution for a 2 door JL rack. If thats your situation then maximus is a great choice without a tent. I can't speak for other tents but from what I've been reading all other tent owners with this low profile setup is a nightmare to get on and off.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Thanks for the detailed info. Man that's tight! I was worried about that as well. I ended up going with the Tuffstuff Alpha II tent (https://tuffstuff4x4.com/collection...ha-ii™-hard-top-side-open-tent-black-2-person), but I think I'm going to have the same issues trying to fit it underneath. I will use the rack for trips where we won't be using the RTT, but the crossbars with the Backbone system definitely look like they'd be easier for the RTT setup.
I could only find one image of the hardware on the Tuffstuff website and they one they show is setup on an easy to get to bar. Depending on where you need to put your crossbars you might run into the issue I ran into. The ikamper has specific placement of where the crossbars should go for correct balance. For the Skycamp Mini, your cross bars must be a minimum of 22" / 55 cm apart. which in my case to keep the back flush with the jeep meant the back crossbar is 22" or so in. So think about trying to get in at the bolt for the bracket. I use a magnet extension to line up my bolts which is absolutely ridiculous. Before using that magnet I tried reaching in only to be left with badly bruised arms. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TQ4YLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In your case it looks like the nuts are even harder to get to unless you can place the crossbars in arms reach from the back.

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I could only find one image of the hardware on the Tuffstuff website and they one they show is setup on an easy to get to bar. Depending on where you need to put your crossbars you might run into the issue I ran into. The ikamper has specific placement of where the crossbars should go for correct balance. For the Skycamp Mini, your cross bars must be a minimum of 22" / 55 cm apart. which in my case to keep the back flush with the jeep meant the back crossbar is 22" or so in. So think about trying to get in at the bolt for the bracket. I use a magnet extension to line up my bolts which is absolutely ridiculous. Before using that magnet I tried reaching in only to be left with badly bruised arms. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TQ4YLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In your case it looks like the nuts are even harder to get to unless you can place the crossbars in arms reach from the back.
Yea man. I've tried looking a lot to see how the RTT connects. It's not gonna be fun hooking it up for sure.

Sponsored

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yea man. I've tried looking a lot to see how the RTT connects. It's not gonna be fun hooking it up for sure.
Good luck, please Let us know how you get on when you have it all complete Would love to hear your results.

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck, please Let us know how you get on when you have it all complete Would love to hear your results.
Will do.

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
From what I have read the front runner quick release brackets wont work without some modification on the Rhino rack Pioneer platform. https://www.toyota-4runner.org/gene...-rhino-rack-using-front-runner-qd-mounts.html
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I hear you on the garage clearance front. If your main concern is getting tent on and off fast then do not go with maximus-3 unless you want to drill holes through the base of your tent. I hate to say this but the maximus-3 system was not made with tents in mind. I love their look but you need matchstick arms to work underneath it. I totally regret my choice going with this low profile option.

Is your jeep a 2 door or a 4 door ? If you have a 4 door then I would go with backbone which has spacer options and removal of rack and tent mush easier. Which also means you can easily remove your hardtop.
I tried to remove the hardtop with the maximus-3 and I just gave up its another headache.

As I said in my last post I went with the maximus-3 because they were the ones who stepped up to the plate and had a solution for a 2 door JL rack. If thats your situation then maximus is a great choice without a tent. I can't speak for other tents but from what I've been reading all other tent owners with this low profile setup is a nightmare to get on and off.
I ended up using the Frontrunner quick release brackets and could not be happier. I can easily put my ~200 lb. CVT RTT on myself. And when not using the RTT all brackets come off the rack easily. All thats required is to measure the slots on the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform you want to use then mount the Frontrunner upper brackets to the bottom of the RTT at those dimensions. Make sure to use loctight on the bolts because you don't want to overtighten. The Frontrunner brackets space the RTT above the rack perfectly.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I ended up using the Frontrunner quick release brackets and could not be happier. I can easily put my ~200 lb. CVT RTT on myself. And when not using the RTT all brackets come off the rack easily. All thats required is to measure the slots on the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform you want to use then mount the Frontrunner upper brackets to the bottom of the RTT at those dimensions. Make sure to use loctight on the bolts because you don't want to overtighten. The Frontrunner brackets space the RTT above the rack perfectly.
DeekT That’s great. Would you mind posting some images and some close up images. I’d love to see the height it adds from rack to bottom of tent. Are you able to get your hand in with the low profile Maximus-3 or the height is enough above the rack because of the quick release brackets ?

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
DeekT That’s great. Would you mind posting some images and some close up images. I’d love to see the height it adds from rack to bottom of tent. Are you able to get your hand in with the low profile Maximus-3 or the height is enough above the rack because of the quick release brackets ?
eman20 Here are a few pics I could find that kind of show the mounts. The Frontrunner mounts hold the RTT 2.5" above the rack. This allows the skirt of the RTT to perfectly hide the mounts and the gap when deployed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System IMG_4447.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System IMG_5296.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System IMG_5374.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System IMG_6478.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System IMG_6479.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System IMG_6481.JPG
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.