First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It depends on a bit more than just wheeling or Moab would be the obvious pick. If you need to be in a place where there are certain quality of life amenities I would have to say Grand Junction, or possibly Albuquerque. I would definitely recommend western slope of the state of Colorado, Eastern Utah, or Northern NM-AZ area if you don't mind smaller communities.

xgiguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Retired US Army, Retired NC Correctional officer
I live in Utah, just a mere hour and a half east of Moab, and have been riding Jeeps and UTV's here for over 10 years. This is a paradise for both. Here on the forum, you'll see a lot of people wishing or planning a visit to Moab, there's a good reason for that but...MOAB is not the only place to four-wheel depending on the type of four-wheeling you want. We have scenic trails, rock crawling trails, any kind of trail your little heart desires. I moved here for the trails and have not been disappointed in my choice.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
+1 on Northern AZ as that is my retirement plan. Already have a house there where I go whenever possible (Prescott). Now just have to save up a few $M somehow so I can afford it since pensions aren’t a thing anymore...

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
The problem deciding on one spot is the weather/temperature. I’ve wheeled in 49 states including Alaska, my top 3 are Arizona, Colorado and Utah. Those 3 states do have issues regarding how the weather affects your off roading.

Arizona- Fantastic late fall, winter and early spring. By the time April arrives it already hitting 90 degrees and Summer early fall 100+ plus. Jeeping off road during the summer is unbearable and hard on your Jeep.

Colorado- Awesome late May, Summer, September and early October. Spring flowers, full rivers/creeks 70 degree weather and fall foliage. By mid October you are getting snow higher elevations and its just too cold trails close down and won’t start to open back up till late May at the earliest.

Utah- October, November, March and April is outstanding. Words dont describe how incredible the wheeling is during those 4 months. By the time December arrives its cold, icy, snowy and it doesn’t improve till late March. The one time I was in Moab late January early February ice on all the trails so I headed to Southern Utah and had the same results. Month of May till the end of spring its back to 90+ degrees just like Arizona.

Those are my observations but I do have a suggestion. Instead of settling down in one place purchase a Motorhome/RV and tow or trailer your Jeep. You will be able to experience it all and wheel year round and not be tied down to one spot.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Where in Tennessee was that last picture?
That is the trail that wraps around the back side of Nemo's Tunnel. We were wheeling at Windrock and took the drive out there to run the tunnel.

From a different angle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Places to Live for Wheeling 1612554149048

skovac2

First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
Occupation
Army
That is the trail that wraps around the back side of Nemo's Tunnel. We were wheeling at Windrock and took the drive out there to run the tunnel.

From a different angle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Places to Live for Wheeling 1612554149048
Ok ill have to look it up. I live an hour away from Nashville

OP
OP
chachimcnacho

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
The problem deciding on one spot is the weather/temperature. I’ve wheeled in 49 states including Alaska, my top 3 are Arizona, Colorado and Utah. Those 3 states do have issues regarding how the weather affects your off roading.

Arizona- Fantastic late fall, winter and early spring. By the time April arrives it already hitting 90 degrees and Summer early fall 100+ plus. Jeeping off road during the summer is unbearable and hard on your Jeep.

Colorado- Awesome late May, Summer, September and early October. Spring flowers, full rivers/creeks 70 degree weather and fall foliage. By mid October you are getting snow higher elevations and its just too cold trails close down and won’t start to open back up till late May at the earliest.

Utah- October, November, March and April is outstanding. Words dont describe how incredible the wheeling is during those 4 months. By the time December arrives its cold, icy, snowy and it doesn’t improve till late March. The one time I was in Moab late January early February ice on all the trails so I headed to Southern Utah and had the same results. Month of May till the end of spring its back to 90+ degrees just like Arizona.

Those are my observations but I do have a suggestion. Instead of settling down in one place purchase a Motorhome/RV and tow or trailer your Jeep. You will be able to experience it all and wheel year round and not be tied down to one spot.
Love this idea. Have a small RV now and have seriously contemplated the potential of a “roaming” lifestyle. If nothing else, all this great feedback may allow me to plot the perfect home base!

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Places to Live for Wheeling 1612557954485

(I’m aware no “perfect” place exists, but it’s inspiring to see so many folks happy in their landing spot!)

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i would say Colorado due to great weather, scenery and proximity to other locations. just stay out of Denver county. plenty of non-liberal areas left in Co. just visited there for the first time after last thanksgiving. we loved it and discussed possibly moving there. the cost of housing is probably going up due to so many of us Californians fleeing and buying up "cheap" housing there.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind that the Western Slope area around Grand Junction is much more affordable than the Front Range area or the resort towns in the high country. Plus, GJ is a great central hub area for so many great wheeling adventures.
Agreed!! I have a good friend that lived there for a few years and absolutely loved it!! Close to Moab and southern Utah. Not that far from skiing and all.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on Northern AZ as that is my retirement plan. Already have a house there where I go whenever possible (Prescott). Now just have to save up a few $M somehow so I can afford it since pensions aren’t a thing anymore...
Prescott is a beautiful area.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Great observations. Here during AZ summers jeeping off road was about the only thing I did when it was so hot! Was great to get out and explore in the comfort of my AC. Lol

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Instead of settling down in one place purchase a Motorhome/RV and tow or trailer your Jeep. You will be able to experience it all and wheel year round and not be tied down to one spot.
I meet a lot of folks in RV's towing a Jeep. That has been working for me...
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Places to Live for Wheeling beartooth pass