Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
I have just been thinking about that. It may never see the dealer again.
Sponsored

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Nope... not here either, saves me worrying about taking out the tazer. Kinda sucks to basically rip up the warranty papers tho.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Nope... not here either, saves me worrying about taking out the tazer. Kinda sucks to basically rip up the warranty papers tho.
I'm really hoping we are all over reacting and Jeep is going to do the right thing and it won't affect the torque

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I'm really hoping we are all over reacting and Jeep is going to do the right thing and it won't affect the torque
Sadly, the "right thing" is subjective: The right thing for us would be to install a properly-designed clutch. The right thing for FCA is to simply limit liability at essentially not cost to the corporate bottom line.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I love my Jeep and I have been thinking about my options over the last few days due to the clutch issues. 1. Sell it. 2. Trade it for an automatic. 3. Have a Centerforce clutch installed. Option 1 isn't really an option because well, I love my Jeep. As for option 2, I've decided I'm never going to give Chrysler anymore money because of this. It's obvious the clutch needs to be replaced and I feel like I have been given the run around with the sleeve recall and now the potential for torque reduction. I keep thinking about how the recall notice says a software update will be done for the customer at no charge, as if it's some sort of favor. This leaves option 3, so I am going to order and have a Centerforce clutch installed. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
But, you still will have an open recall... and if you ever have to go to the dealer for any other recall or TSB, guess what? Yep, they will flash your PCM regardless of what kind of clutch you have installed.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Maybe this whole torque reduction thing is really an evil two part plan for FCA to save money.

Part One: Tell folks that they are going to reduce power instead of fixing the issue. Some will say BS, and buy/install an aftermarket clutch and never use the warranty.​
Part Two: After Part One has runs its course, FCA is going to finally offer a real fix (e.g., proper flywheel, clutch PP).​

Of course this plan to save $$ has its faults (e.g., ticking off customers, making folks think they should by a new Bronco, etc.). No matter what FCA's plan is, I do hope that they come up with a proper solution and stop all this BS.

One option, give us money towards purchasing a proper flywheel, clutch, PP. I would be happy with that solution even if I have to fork out a few $$. A few $$ is better than watching a JL go up in smoke because of their bad design, specification problem, or what other BS terms FCA was to label their mistake.

Last edited:

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Dear Jimmy,

Don't take it to a dealer.

Neil
I don't even have mine yet, so I'm getting the update whether I like it or not. Mine was supposed to ship on 1/23 and still hasn't shipped 🙄

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I know. You've only said that 200 times.
Like a kid at Christmas lol. IF I hit the lottery, the centerforce upgrade and spare PCM with livernois tune sounds like an excellent plan :).

Unfortunately, I'll just have to let Stellantis/FCA do whatever they want for now. And just watch.. I bet the jeep sport outperforms the Bronco sasquatch package off road :). My jeeps not going anywhere. I have too much invested in it now and it's the exact color, package I wanted, WITH the manual transmission. I'm in a love affair with it and am already looking at 37's, bumpers and winches.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Like a kid at Christmas lol. IF I hit the lottery, the centerforce upgrade and spare PCM with livernois tune sounds like an excellent plan :).

Unfortunately, I'll just have to let Stellantis/FCA do whatever they want for now. And just watch.. I bet the jeep sport outperforms the Bronco sasquatch package off road :). My jeeps not going anywhere. I have too much invested in it now and it's the exact color, package I wanted, WITH the manual transmission.
I will probably order a centerforce when it becomes available-but will look at other options as well, INCLUDING what FCA comes up with even if its a silly patch, I placed a call into CF today, they said the redesign will be out end March/into april.

I've invested in a Genesis dual kit, and have zero problems putting an aftermarket clutch and not taking the car to the dealer. My two other vehicles (02) and (08) with over 600K run just fine without visiting a dealer.

I understand, we paid x bucks, there is a warranty. I also understand the hassles people get with trips to their dealer....going 4-5 times, heck there is a guy in the axle thread on his third rear axle.....or the people who wait for gearboxes only to have the former AL reinstalled.

Owners should understand their options. Most who complain about the warranty have never changed their fluids or even sought out an independent mechanic. Like a good Doc, Attorney, Real Estate agent, whatever, a good mechanic will make your life much easier....and probably cheaper in the long run-considering one might be cleaning or patching work.

Mechanics who run their own shops do so by getting shit right the first time and not forcing their clients on 2-4 trips/arguements over something as static as an oil change.

Sorry about the rant, but with all the butthurt over this new jeep owners need to realize there are jeeps that have never seen a dealer out there that are older than they are. Just too many threads of people getting the reach around at the dealer because of tires, or because they wired aux lights to their aux panel....or because of a mopar lift.

Maybe I am just to the point in life where my expectations are little, and hearing another line of bullshit is just that....

I have two leaky rear shocks on my JLUR I got in OCT, it has not been off-road. Called local dealer, 150 for one shock-2 months+(unacceptable), called shop, got 2 rears for 40 bucks take off. Done.

Not going to wait 2 months plus to warranty a shock sorry, and no you can't have my jeep overnight, it's 2 bolts.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
My bad man...
it's ok to be excited, but don't be worried. You will enjoy your new stick when if it arrives. If not, there are PLENTY of jeeps out there, and PLENTY of parts to fit em man.
Sponsored