8.4 Uconnect Upgrade Issues

timize

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
So I recently upgraded from the 7” to the 8.4” Uconnect. Super easy... just swapped the units out and then I let the Jeep sit overnight to let it sync with the computer. Everything now reflects what I have, trim/feature wise, but there are a few quirks:

• SiriusXM app icon is gone. It appears SiriusXM is combined with the “Media” app, so I have to press the Media button, and then SiriusXM every time I want to listen to satellite radio. In my 7” Uconnect, I could do this with just one click.
  • The second USB port located inside the center armrest no longer activates CarPlay. I have to use the port in the center stack. Not a huge deal, but a bit off an inconvenience because I have OCD about cords.
  • Audio seems to sound more “tinny” than when I had the 7” Uconnect. I tried adjusting the equalizer to reflect the same settings I had with the 7” unit, but it still seems out of whack and I can’t quite dial it in so it sounds good again.

Has anyone who upgraded to the 8.4” Uconnect have these issues? I am trying to avoid spending a $150 diagnostic fee just to have the dealer take a look at it.
Sponsored

Reactions: KNN

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
So I recently upgraded from the 7” to the 8.4” Uconnect. Super easy... just swapped the units out and then I let the Jeep sit overnight to let it sync with the computer. Everything now reflects what I have, trim/feature wise, but there are a few quirks:

• SiriusXM app icon is gone. It appears SiriusXM is combined with the “Media” app, so I have to press the Media button, and then SiriusXM every time I want to listen to satellite radio. In my 7” Uconnect, I could do this with just one click.
  • The second USB port located inside the center armrest no longer activates CarPlay. I have to use the port in the center stack. Not a huge deal, but a bit off an inconvenience because I have OCD about cords.
  • Audio seems to sound more “tinny” than when I had the 7” Uconnect. I tried adjusting the equalizer to reflect the same settings I had with the 7” unit, but it still seems out of whack and I can’t quite dial it in so it sounds good again.

Has anyone who upgraded to the 8.4” Uconnect have these issues? I am trying to avoid spending a $150 diagnostic fee just to have the dealer take a look at it.
I have same issues, and learned to lived with those quirks over the last few months.

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
ive swapped 2 different 8.4 radios into my JL and lost the center console. usb ports ability to do carplay everytime. .. . it drives me nuts as well

OP
OP
timize

timize

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up updating from 28.3 to 34.2. Audio issues resolved itself, but USB2 still does not have data transfer/CarPlay capability. Oh, well.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
They got rid of the separate Radio and Media buttons with 28.30 and combined them because you can now customize the sources on the left menu and drag items there. It's not a bug or quirk persay, but a poorly implemented tweak to the UI.

Sponsored

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
I was thinking of making this swap only for the larger screen, I don't really care about Nav. Are you happy with the swap? and if I can ask why did you swap? For the Nav option?

OP
OP
timize

timize

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking of making this swap only for the larger screen, I don't really care about Nav. Are you happy with the swap? and if I can ask why did you swap? For the Nav option?
Mostly happy. I like the larger screen and having the nav for when I’m off road in places with no signal. Helps me get back home.

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Mostly happy. I like the larger screen and having the nav for when I’m off road in places with no signal. Helps me get back home.
Did you buy the unit new our used? I’m wondering if it was already married to another vin possibly and thats why you lost the aux port?

OP
OP
timize

timize

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you buy the unit new our used? I’m wondering if it was already married to another vin possibly and thats why you lost the aux port?
I bought it used. I don’t see why it would matter if all Jeeps have 2 USB ports?

Sponsored

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up updating from 28.3 to 34.2. Audio issues resolved itself, but USB2 still does not have data transfer/CarPlay capability. Oh, well.
What is this update? How can I locate my current version, and where can I find this update?

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Although it’s not perfect because of the USB2 only charges, the overall experience with the larger screen is worth it IMO. CarPlay is real estate is larger, and the touch responsiveness for CarPlay is day and night compared to the 7 inch.
Sponsored