limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had the Steering Gear TSB done on my 2018 today. I verified they installed the steel gear box, part #68507569AA and the ECU was flashed to part # 68529416AA. Tech also completed an alignment and gave me the printout. PS fluid was full, no signs of leaking, and he didn't charge me any extra due to my Synergy TB/SS brace, lift, etc.

I did hand the tech a typed note with all of the torque specs for my aftermarket parts which he might have to remove. I also informed him of the large o-rings on the RK track bar joint and other pertinent information. A $40 tip in the envelope was also included.

I spoke with him afterwards and he was very appreciative of the information I provided as it saved him time. He was also thankful for the tip.

On the drive home steering was better, similar to my 2019 after that had the TSB done. Very happy to have it done!

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0771
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0772
Sponsored

PNW_JL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Finally took my 21 JLUR in for service (after waiting 2 weeks for my scheduled appointment). It was still pulling to the right even after deflating the tires as advised both on here and FB group.

They called me 3 hours later to confirm the steering pulling to the right and tell me that “the steering box is bad and will be replaced under warranty”

We’ll see what happens!

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Had the Steering Gear TSB done on my 2018 today. I verified they installed the steel gear box, part #68507569AA and the ECU was flashed to part # 68529416AA. Tech also completed an alignment and gave me the printout. PS fluid was full, no signs of leaking, and he didn't charge me any extra due to my Synergy TB/SS brace, lift, etc.

I did hand the tech a typed note with all of the torque specs for my aftermarket parts which he might have to remove. I also informed him of the large o-rings on the RK track bar joint and other pertinent information. A $40 tip in the envelope was also included.

I spoke with him afterwards and he was very appreciative of the information I provided as it saved him time. He was also thankful for the tip.

On the drive home steering was better, similar to my 2019 after that had the TSB done. Very happy to have it done!

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0772
Great news @limeade! What aftermarket parts would have to be removed? I have 2.5 Metalcloak GC and Synergy TB/SS brace (will remove bearing) and what to make sure I have all bases covered. Thanks for the help!

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Great news @limeade! What aftermarket parts would have to be removed? I have 2.5 Metalcloak GC and Synergy TB/SS brace (will remove bearing) and what to make sure I have all bases covered. Thanks for the help!
Other than the TB/SS bearing, nothing else should need to be removed. The Tech did say the lift spring (driver side) made it a little more difficult to get to some of the steering box bolts. Apparently the spacing on the coils interfered with getting a socket on the bolts, but was able to get them out.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.

Sponsored

Bob Rae

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK
Steering box TSB was completed on my Jeep JL yesterday. It is a 2019 JLUR and lifted with Metalcloak 2.5 on offset 35's. Told the dealer it wandered slightly and felt loose. There were no objections and they ordered the box for me. It took two weeks. After having this completed yesterday, I am blown away by the difference. It responds like a sports car. It no longer requires constant corrections to keep it going straight. It is clearly locked down tighter and the wheel is slightly harder to turn, but wow, worth it! Blown away by the difference. Get it done!

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I got the TSB done in Berkeley about two weeks ago and the work was to spec and until I took it to Tahoe last weekend it handled perfectly-driving up I noticed a muffled grinding sound when making sharper right turns at speeds around 65mph. The steering was fine but the sound was unsettling and it wasn’t consistent so not sure what, if anything can be done.

FilthyJLU

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Has anyone successfully had this TSB done will being over warranty and not pay a dine for it? Also if I wanted to do this job on my own would Jscan work to do the ecu update or I’d have to bring it into the dealer for that part? TIA @JeepCares

Last edited:

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine back earlier this week and definitely see an improvement. It’s definitely tighter and does not wonder as much as before. There’s maybe 1” of dead spot but it’s harder to move the steering wheel overall. Really happy with results. I’m adding the synergy brace and 2.5 RPM steering kit this weekend so I wonder how much tighter it will get :surprised:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine back earlier this week and definitely see an improvement. It’s definitely tighter and does not wonder as much as before. There’s maybe 1” of dead spot but it’s harder to move the steering wheel overall. Really happy with results. I’m adding the synergy brace and 2.5 RPM steering kit this weekend so I wonder how much tighter it will get :surprised:
I'm sure it will be AMAZING with the RPM steering.. post back here with your thoughts afterwards. I'm under the impression the stock steering linkage is responsible for some of the 'play' due to tie-rod flop. I'd be interested to hear how much more it improves.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I got the TSB done in Berkeley about two weeks ago and the work was to spec and until I took it to Tahoe last weekend it handled perfectly-driving up I noticed a muffled grinding sound when making sharper right turns at speeds around 65mph. The steering was fine but the sound was unsettling and it wasn’t consistent so not sure what, if anything can be done.
Hey, MOTC JL. If you're still experiencing concerns after the TSB was performed, we recommend revisiting the dealer for assistance. If you would like any help from our team, please reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Hey, MOTC JL. If you're still experiencing concerns after the TSB was performed, we recommend revisiting the dealer for assistance. If you would like any help from our team, please reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks for the response. I’m pretty sure it’s just from low power steering fluid but Jeep Berkeley wants me to bring it in next week to inspect.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine also had a small dead spot after the steering box because they didn’t update the software per the TSB. There is now zero dead spot after a different dealership updated the software.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Mine also had a small dead spot after the steering box because they didn’t update the software per the TSB. There is now zero dead spot after a different dealership updated the software.
based on your response Californiajeeping I went into my dealership asked for That print out but they say since mine is a 2020 the 4&5 steps don’t apply. Meaning they said there was no 5SY to delete and no 70F to add cause it doesn’t up to do that on my 2020. So they went to step 8 and finished the rest of steps. I am still having dead spot and like inconsistencies of steering wheel loose. It’s right sometimes at low speeds and loose at high speeds. Any else advise?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
based on your response Californiajeeping I went into my dealership asked for That print out but they say since mine is a 2020 the 4&5 steps don’t apply. Meaning they said there was no 5SY to delete and no 70F to add cause it doesn’t up to do that on my 2020. So they went to step 8 and finished the rest of steps. I am still having dead spot and like inconsistencies of steering wheel loose. It’s right sometimes at low speeds and loose at high speeds. Any else advise?
If you have someone move the steering wheel back and forth barely past the dead spot, look at the steering column where it enters the steering box then continue to follow it to the pitman arm connection. Try to figure out where the slop is happening. There is a small part of the steering column that connects to the steering box that can be bad (notchy feeling) or the bolt that connects it can be loose. If not, then look at the pitman arm connection, drag link, tie rod, ball joint castle nuts, etc. Something might not be fully torqued down. Also, you could go back to the dealer and sit in a brand new JL and find one with no dead spot (roll down the window, stand next to the JL and look at the tires to steering wheel response) and tell the dealership you want your JL to perform the same.
Sponsored