Sponsored

Spare tire carrier : Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD versus the Mopar one

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
I am looking to buy a tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement kit and I am wondering which one I should take between the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Kit (including the hinge casting tailgate reinforcement and the wheel mount) and the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit + Ovesize Spare Tire Carrier.

I like the Rugged Ridge kit as it goes deeper in term of support to the tailgate. However, I am wondering if it works fine with most wheels as I have an offset and a 35" tire and I have heard that the tire sits a little bit more far from the tailgaite and sometimes the remaining rubber stop (because you got to remove one to install the tire carrier) does not get to the tire.

I like the looks of the Mopar one better, even tho they are both really similar, and I love the fact that you are pretty sure everything will fit as stock (rubber stops, camera, etc.). I also think that you can keep your third brake light over the spare tire with this one, which I'm unsure you can do with the the Rugged Ridge one.

As for the price, it's sure that the Rugged Ridge one is really well priced compared to the Mopar one, obviously...

So I'd like to hear from some of you folks that have used one or both of them and what you think about it! Is the Rugged Ridge one a better solution that is still worry-free?

Thanks a lot for your advice and have a nice day! 😁 :involve:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have zero experience with either, but a hinged tailgate reinforcement and adjustable carrier is definitely the way to go. I've got the Cavfab Elite carrier, and it barely notices the 38x13.5 spare and 17x9 -12 wheel. It's pulled in real tight to the gate, still utilizing the driver side rubber bumper while the passenger side is pulled against the reinforcement plate. I set the carrier to the highest setting, to maximize departure angle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier : Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD versus the Mopar one 20210117_135607_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier : Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD versus the Mopar one 20201223_135529
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier : Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD versus the Mopar one 20201223_135546

OP
OP

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
Thanks for you insight @Headbarcode! I'm still looking; I find the Rugged Ridge one seems really nice and strong. Your spare seems to sit pretty high; can you see well from the back window or not so much?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for you insight @Headbarcode! I'm still looking; I find the Rugged Ridge one seems really nice and strong. Your spare seems to sit pretty high; can you see well from the back window or not so much?
Even at the lowest position, 38's block a lot of window. I went with the highest position, because I put priority towards departure clearance over a tease of visibility.

Here's the same spare on the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier, with the tire just grazing the factory steel bumper. And another shot of my current setup. These are taken from a standing position, whereas the previous pic was from a crouched position.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier : Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD versus the Mopar one 20200813_083632_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier : Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD versus the Mopar one 20210117_135551_resized

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
rugged ridge has beefier hinges and bolts to the tub. mopar uses stock hinges and does not. i think that rugged ridge has the upper hand here - especially at that price point.

i'd personally buy that cavfab one if they offered a straight through camera mount. my rear bumper has a license plate mount already.

teraflex is supposed to be launching their tub mounted reinforcement hinges next month as well... but their price point is going to be closer to the mopar one - $799.

side note: i love the point about raising the spare to maximize for departure angle while also having a hitch cover that hangs down further than truck nuts, lol.
Sponsored